Oct 1 check in - hubby doing Paleo w/me - says I don't feed him enough?!

LianeMJ

I started Whole 30 today and have been 90% paleo for awhile now. Hubby has not done Paleo before but decided he'd do a modified Whole30 with me to support me. Today we had for breakfast 3 eggs, two pieces whole30 approved bacon, and a banana. For lunch I sent him with a piece and a half of grilled balsamic chicken with asparagus and an apple, and a snack of cashews. He's complaining he's still hungry. Is he just in carb withdrawal? Seems like enough food to me... but maybe I'm just used to eating less carbs than my onion bagel loving', bread sammich for lunch lovin' hubby...

I know when I switched to paleo, I was starving. I probably ate at least twice the protein I previously had and ate snacks of nuts and fruit. I work from home, so it was easier for me to get something. After a couple of weeks, I evened out and typically don't need snacks and don't eat as much. I'd do what quotidianlight said, and add more.

Ghee, turnips, fufu, olives, mayo and eggs, dark meet instead of breasts and MUCH BIGGER portions. For example... My 6ft 1 skinny bf can blow through a large salad and half a chicken cooked in ghee for lunch. 3-4 eggs scrambled with sausage and a couple Cups of veggies for breakfast easy. He may adjust in time but healthy men have much faster metabolism than women so is may just be his healthy normal.

• Moderators

Feed your husband if you want him to have a good experience and stay with the Whole30. This is not a calorie restriction program and I think many people are better off eating too much rather than too little. As long as the too much is meat, fat, and veggies.

Sounds good, will up his portions. I'm making a big meatloaf (so we have lunch leftovers for tomorrow) tonight with lots of veggies and salad. Maybe a califlower mash too. He's new to paleo and not sure he's totally on board with the concept yet and right now he thinks he's eating too much fat, oy. I'm trying to tell him - then how did I lose 12 lbs already if its too much fat?

Paleo food is so much less calorie dense (this is good!) that you have to eat lots more... good news for us volume eaters! IF he doesn't lie sweet potatoes maybe butternut squash, spaghetti squash, acorn squash... plus the ideas of a big salad and cauliflower mash are good too.

Don't worry about too big of portions or too much fat...

I am 6'1" and 190#. My portions tend to be pretty large. I'll gave 2to chicken breasts, a large salad, squash and maybe some olives as well for meal 3. Meal 1 is big and meal 2 is medium but I have a coffee break between the two as well and that is pretty big.

Archived