Day 19 and getting discouraged

srp1777

I was following a Paleo diet for about a year before I started the Whole30 due to getting some health conditions sorted out. Since we managed to get my hormones under control and a whole slew of other things, I figured it was time for me to step it up a notch and start working on the weight loss aspect. Cue Whole30!

Other than some backsliding I had a few weeks before starting the Whole30, I was Paleo most of the time. And even with the backsliding, I stayed away from gluten. So, I wasn't expecting too much of the miraculous changes that everyone seems to experience from this challenge. I was hoping for my skin to clear up, a little more energy, and weight loss.

No, I have not stepped on the scale since I started, even though I am a scale addict and I am going insane! But I figured by now I would be noticing some changes in that area. I do have my narcolepsy back under control, and my face looks like it may be clearing up a little, maybe, possibly, kinda sorta? But the energy isn't crazy yet, I'm not "glowing", and I don't think I have lost any size. This has me a little down today. I am exercising a little bit, mostly walking and trying to do yoga. The doc wants me to ease back into working out so I don't blow out my adrenals again.

I thought maybe if I listed a normal day it may help:

Breakfast: Ground pork with apples over spinach or

2 Eggs with some leftover meat (like steak or ground beef) over spinach

(I have added a little acorn squash or sweet potato the last few days) or

Leftover meat and veggies

And some hot tea with approved coconut milk

Lunch: Meat (usually leftovers or a can of soy free tuna) w/Salad veggies and dressed with

either olive oil/vinegar or I add a little seasoning and water to my home made mayo or

Leftover meat and veggies

Dinner: Meat & veggies or salad, and sometimes I have acorn squash or sweet potato

Snack: I don't have a snack everyday, but if I do it is usually right after work.

Coconut chips or

Part of an apple with almond/coconut butter or

Some melon or berries with coconut butter or coconut milk or

Leftover meat or tuna with some olives

I cook everything in either coconut oil or homemade ghee and try to add olives, avocado, olive oil, homemade mayo, or avocado to every meal for a little fat. In addition I take cod oil every morning and natural calm at night. I also have not eaten out AT ALL. Everything I have eaten has been cooked at home.

I have no intention of giving up. In fact, I am considering just continuing on until Thanksgiving dinner then starting right back in until Christmas dinner, but I am a little discouraged at my lack of progress and would like to know if I am doing something wrong.

Sorry you've hit a rough spot emotionally. I think the thing to remember is that although some people do find a HUGE difference in just 30 days, you were already eating a pretty similar diet and trying to do your best to listen to your body for a while before starting the Whole30. Therefore, it is reasonable and expected that your changes are much more subtle and not so drastic. Make sense?

Hormones, adrenals, and so many other parts of the body (as well as tons of health conditions) take much longer than 30 days to normalize/get better. Hang in there, it's a marathon and not a sprint. In other words it's a lifestyle change and not a quick fix! You can do it. :D

Jenny's basically nailed it. Especially knowing about the adrenal stuff, I think you just need to be REALLY careful with everything that you're doing and hang in there. You have a big hole to climb out of, and it's totally possible that it will take longer than 30 days.

It's also pretty likely that the magic bullet for you isn't going to be nutritional. You were already paleo, so you may be looking for a nutritional answer to a lifestyle problem. How's your sleep and your stress levels? focus on those

Archived