Doing the Whole30 in Malaysia - Is anyone else out there?

michellelimchua

Day 6.

Doing this in Malaysia is especially hard, as we have the most incredible street food here and everyone seems to be eating all the time. We are known as the kind of people who talk about what they are going to eat for dinner, during lunch.

Anyway I started the Whole30 on Monday and it's Saturday night - so it's been a full 6 days of eating clean, hurray!

I'm severely anemic and suffer from iron deficiency (which I was prescribed supplements for by my hematologist) and I am hoping and praying that the Whole30 will help solve this, as it really affects my life. I am also trying to re-evaluate my relationship with junk food (huge Cheetos & Golden Oreos fan), as I want to be a good role model of health for my two sons :)

Day 4 & 5 were really tough, with headaches the book warned me about (naps really did help!) and am now looking forward to the 'magical' feeling Day 7 is supposed to bring. My biggest learning this week was that it really, really pays to plan and pack all my meals for the week ahead. By anticipating the next day in terms of where I would be, who I would be eating with, and where I needed to be during a potential moment of hunger helped me to stuff my bag full of the food I needed to get through the day without slipping up.

I'm what Gretchen Rubin would classify as an 'Obliger', so I need all the accountability I can get, in order to raise my chances of successfully making it through the next 24 days. Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated. As my topic title suggest, I literally do not know a single other person who is doing the Whole30 (so far, no one I've spoken to has even heard of it here!), so finding support has not been easy. (I've subscribed to the Daily30 but it only arrives at 4pm my time).

Wish me luck!

Good luck! I'm not anemic, but I do have hypertension and one of my goals with doing this was to get off my meds. After only 10 days they cut my dosage in half! Hopefully by the end of it I won't need it at all anymore. I'm on day 13 now. I didn't really hit any speed bumps until day 7 or 8 so it really is different for everyone one. This forum has been really helpful and inspiring for me. No one I know is doing Whole30 either and when I tell people what I am doing that just kinda look at me and blink in silence haha So I understand where you're coming from on that. Keep up the good work!

Good luck! I'm not anemic, but I do have hypertension and one of my goals with doing this was to get off my meds. After only 10 days they cut my dosage in half! Hopefully by the end of it I won't need it at all anymore. I'm on day 13 now. I didn't really hit any speed bumps until day 7 or 8 so it really is different for everyone one. This forum has been really helpful and inspiring for me. No one I know is doing Whole30 either and when I tell people what I am doing that just kinda look at me and blink in silence haha So I understand where you're coming from on that. Keep up the good work!

Wow Day 13! Well done :) There hypertension in my family too so I know what you mean... Really so encouraging to hear that they've cut your dosage! Can't wait to have a good report at the end of this too. And thank you for the well wishes :)

I hope that even though the people around you haven't heard of the Whole30, that they've been supportive all the same! My family is very supportive although sometimes I get comments like, "Oh she's doing an Atkins diet." (???) LOL...but for the most part, they have been saying my food looks really delicious hehe.

Day 7.

Bacon and eggs this morning, coffee with coconut oil and cocoa powder.

Feeling good, but not great to be honest.

It helps that my husband cooked me a Whole30 compliant meal last night, and plans to do it again tonight (yay!)

Did food shopping yesterday, got lots of good stuff (pork!) and am doing some meal planning now.

Day 8.

A burger for lunch and heading out for dinner with a friend so kind of nervous!

Have chosen a Japanese restaurant and will only have sashimi (first time eating out during the Whole30!)

Feeling very thirsty, no matter how much water I drink, but a lot more even-tempered today than I was over the weekend.

Having fruit right after a meal seems to be a really good tip.

Day 12.

No headaches. No iron pills and feeling a lot less tired this week. Celebrating with another round of good food shopping this weekend, so happy about that.

I have to say, I'm feeling good! Strangely, I don't feel hungry around lunch and I've lost the habit of snacking at all hours of the day. I've been home a lot this week so it's been easier to cook all my meals, the challenge will be in the coming weeks as I'll be out for work and will probably tire of eggs soon.

The Phillips AirFryer has been an amazing tool/machine to have in kitchen - such a good investment. Don't know if they have them in the States, but they are huge in Asia.

Day 15.

Feels like I'm cooking all the time, lamb burger, salted fish and mushrooms with super spicy Whole30 compliant sambal paste (made especially for me!). Feeling tired and some of the "WTH" I read about in the Daily30 is creeping in...but am positive I can make it another 15 days!!!

• 1 year later...

Archived