Day one! April 18th.

Stbortko

I actually have a question about the food template - I'm trying to stick to it but I also find the messages a little mixed  - ie no counting vs the template, which is a bit more counting or portion control. My meals aren't exactly fitting the template, but I try to do more veggies then protein.  Thoughts on this?  Should i reign it in a bit on the protein amounts? right now I feel like I'm eating healthy good amounts of food, not overeating anymore and feeling full and satisfied...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

I started on 4/18/16 also.  Glad to meet you all.  Due to real heath concerns my doctor suggested this plan but mine will be more like a whole365, in other words, I need to continue to permanently eat this clean even after the 1 30 days.  at first I was shocked, then, I cried, cussed, threw a fit, got REALLY mad and then I accepted my fate.  I practiced for about a 3 days before I started which included a very emotional family memorial (dinner, alcohol, desserts) and did remarkably well.  So Monday I actually started.  So far, I have been doing really great.  I have a business trip next week where I will be in a conference and basically sequestered for 3 days where they provide all meals.  I am geared up with Primal packs (from Barefoot provisions), packets of no-sugar organic cashew butter and will take some nuts so I am hoping between my packs and what little I will be able to eat at the conference I will get buy for 3 days.

I have great support at home, my husband is doing this with me and my grown children know....my birthday is this week, and I am cooking my own dinner because Its easier....

glad to be in this group!  Hope everyone's week is going great!

Hey ladies, if you don't mind I'm going to nudge in here too! We started Whole30 on Monday as a family- myself, fiance, and my 12 yr old son. The fiance and I suffer serious digestive issues, and all 3 of us could use to eat healthier. I used to loosely follow the paleo diet but I started slipping further and further from it about a year and half ago. Then last year (April 24 is the anniversary) I tore my ACL while dancing to "Footloose" at my brothers wedding. The subsequent surgery and recovery were the hardest things I've ever done and I've gained a tremendous amount of weight. In January we did a month of "no added sugar". My fiance lost 7lbs, and I lost nothing. Shortly after a friend of mine decided to do the Whole30 and while she wasn't trying to lose weight, all the other non scale victories made me start thinking this might be good for us too. So here we are! 
FI seems to be having the hardest time with it so far, he also ate the worst. I was cranky and had a headache yesterday. Today my only issue is sleepiness, but that's from staying up until 12am to take a pork shoulder out of the oven. note to self--- don't try to plan to roast a pork shoulder during the week!
I hope everything has a great day, and I look forward to getting to know you guys!

Shells, perhaps take several packs of tuna and smoked salmon as well to mix in and depending on the fruit availability there, you can always stop in to a local supermarket and load up to have them handy. 

Manda, I had ACL surgery years ago. NOT FUN! I have 2 kiddos and I still say the ACL recovery was worse than the C-sections! True story! I hear ya regarding the hubby losing weight fast. We did Isagenix years ago and my husband lost double what I did. It was so frustrating! For what it's worth, you've had a tough road, but it will get better. I'm also dragging a little bit today. 

I"ve been having trouble with breakfast. I was having it way too early and I just wasn't hungry. Today, I waited almost an hour and then scaled the amount a little bit. Hoping to work my way up to a bigger portion again. I just had a satisfying lunch (zoodles with a little ghee, a couple of compliant turkey slices, and some olives). Dinner will be spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and ground chicken! For some reason, I"m also really treasuring hot meals. It's almost as if they are taking the place of "comfort food." Probably ALL psychological. LOL 

This thread can be our support group.  This is my second Whole30.  I did one a year ago and really liked it.  I have been eating healthy this past year, but I wanted to do another complete Whole30.  I am so excited!!

I'm with you, AlisaO!  This is my second Whole30-- like everyone else here, I started on April 18th.  I just completed my first W30 earlier this year, but after reintroduction and some weekends of birthdays, events, etc. I've started to see that "Sugar Dragon" reappearing a bit.  Doing Round 2 to get myself back on track and further reinforce the great benefits of W30 living.  Proud to say that I've had no detox headaches these first four days!  Meaning, I HAVE made many personal improvements to my "everyday" since my first round.  So... YAY to all of us for continuing to take strides to better our overall health!

I just finished reading all of the posts on this thread!  I love how many people are here, all having started their W30 journey at the same time.  Even though this is my second go-around, I feel so many of the same temptations and struggles that you all do and that I did the first time around.  (Which is precisely why I needed to do it again!)  If I can offer any encouragement, it's that WE CAN DO THIS!  Whether your whole family is on board or you're doing it alone in a household that's still eating pizza and pasta in front of you everyday (that's my reality at home), it WILL get easier as the days pass by.  Soon those around you will be jealous of your "Tiger Blood" energy, your glowing skin and your positive attitude.  I'm trying to cling to the pages in W30 that detail all of those Non-Scale Victories!  The more I read them, the more I'm reminded why I'm doing this...and the more attention I give to all of the little victories I have in each day.  Because, ladies, let's be honest.... most of us OBSESS about that stinkin' scale.  Or, as some of you have mentioned, the fact that the guys in our lives drop pounds like it's no big deal.  I literally had to hide my scale so that I don't see it sitting there, mocking me every day.  Our Whole 30 is about so much more than that stinkin' scale.... let's take that power back.  (This is a pep talk to me maybe even more than any of you!)

Focusing on the NSVs and not on that scale is not to trivialize the importance of getting to or maintaining a healthy weight... I hear you!  I still have plenty more to lose-- definitely a goal for me.  But that will come as we make our overall health a priority and live that W30 lifestyle.  And just think of all of the energy we'll gain as we chug along together for these 30 days.... no extra sugar or processed junk weighing us down.  I'm hoping that translates to more motivation to continue moving.... and maybe to up my workouts?  **gasp**  (Ya'll, I hate running.  That's been on my journey since February.... with the goal of running a 5k after my first W30.  And I did it!  Super, super slowly... but I did it.  Which is nothing short of a miracle.  Seriously.  Next up is to run it more quickly.)

Today is DAY 4-- my goal today is to better assess whether I'm actually hungry or just craving for some other reason.  W30 says to do a "HALT!" assessment.  Am I really hungry?  Like does a plate of fish and veggies sound good to me.... or am I H-hungry, A-angry, L-lonely, or T-tired? 
Would love to hear how you guys are feeling or what your goals are for today?

QueenBMilaD - thanks for the information....I will definitely do that!!!  I forget about canned meats....appreciate the tip.  I start working at 4AM - so Im up at 3:30 - there is no way I can A) eat that early and B) if I did I'd have to eat 4 meals a day.  I try to eat at 7AM which is more normal......technically Im supposed to eat within an hour but I don't see that being possible. 

Heidi Bergy - you are awesome inspiration!

manda0817 - amazing that your whole family is doing this....kudos to everyone.  My hubby also loses at twice my rate.......that's an area that men really have a leg up on us girls!

PS - I love to cook....so this is right up my alley.  The meals have been excellent and I feel like Im really creating something in the kitchen.  I cannot stay on a plan that doesn't let me be creative.... with this one I get Avacado and their products, olive oil, coconut products and ghee?  RIGHT UP MY LITTLE ALLEY!         I can do without sugar, I cannot do without fat...LOL

Thanks everyone for all the awesome sharing.  Day 4 and I'm feeling really great.  One problem I'm having is sleeping - I go to bed around 9pm and my alarm goes off at 515am.  Depsite being tired, I'm lying in bed tossing and turning.  Any ideas on how to combat.   I also find that I wake up hungry, which I never used to do, so yay, it's working!

I also love to cook and wouldn't mind starting to share recipes and meal plans. My first week was great, the second week I'm having a harder time coming up with it.  Would love to hear your favorite things you've had this week or ideas!

Hi SaraSurferGirl -  

Hope these ideas help. 

I made the egg, spinach and tomato frittata from the whole 30 book....really good but needs help from herbs, garlic and a bit of onion.  That was breakfast for 3 days.  I roasted a chicken on Sunday for lunches this week.  Yesterday I made a chicken salad with chicken, mashed avocado (for the sauce), celery, onions and almonds....served over lettuce.  one dinner was a  garlic, cilantro and lime seabass with ghee and veggies over cauliflower rice.  Last night I made a ground chicken THAI LARB topped with small amount of chopped macadamia's - served in lettuce leaves, sautéed veggies and marinated cucumbers in unseasoned rice vinegar and coconut aminos.  DELISH. 

Today - breakfast was Grilled hamburger patty (grass fed) on top of sautéed spinach, serve topped with a fried egg and avocado and some whole30 compliant salsa.  Lunch will be - egg salad with a bit of avocado, sweet peppers, onions scooped into celery stalks and some melon.  Tonight, steak (grass fed) with a beet, kale and orange salad (from whole30 cookbook)  and baked sweet potato with ghee.

BTW - I have bought some primal products (avocado mayo) and some compliant dressings and sauces from barefoot provisions - because this has to be my way of life not just 30 days I have to change out my whole pantry.  EXPENSIVE proposition - but it has to be done

Let me know if I can help further!.

Hi all,

I guess I got crazy and started on a Sunday (4/17 - who does that?), but I was sick of waiting.  So April 18th folks, here I am!

I'm nervous to say this, but Whole30 hasn't been hard at all for me.  WAIT - I can explain!  Before this, I had IBS, slept terrible and my stomach hurt more often than not after every meal.  It turns out that this is more of a relief than anything else.  Perhaps because I felt so rotten before, I don't notice missing the sugar or carbs.

However, I am really tired.  I already have a sleep disorder, and I'm hoping Whole30 helps with it.  I'm also having a hard time concentrating.  Has anyone faced this?  I've seen some fatigue on the board, but nothing around poor concentration.

Thanks!  :D

QueenBMilaD  I say the same thing, for me childbirth was way easier than the ACL. Also for me the pain wasn't the hardest part, it is/was the mental. I still struggle wrapping my head around all the things I used to do (run a half marathon, bike 60 miles, etc) when now I haven't even ran a half mile or biked more than 10. 

Heidi Bergy- all good stuff about the scale. I had no idea how much I was letting the scale affect me until I read that part in the book. I had just done my weigh-in before starting and I was crushed at having gained 4lbs since the last time I weighed myself. I was beating myself up hard over those 4lbs. After I read the book it clicked, why did I let the scale ruin my night? Five minutes before I got on there I hadn't actually felt heavier and I was in a good mood. I'm still catching myself wanting to weigh in, turning towards the corner of the bathroom where its kept only to see its not there, and then I feel relieved- relieved that I'm not letting that number dictate my emotions. 

SaraSurferGirlour favorite thing has been a recipe I found of the Whole30recipes instagram account, it's for a sweet potato hash. We did diced potatoes, then topped with 2-3 sunny side eggs and half an avocado. Positively the most delicious thing I've made this week (just at lunch the FI mentioned that he wants it again!). Also did the indian burger with mint chutney (from the site instagram account), which the mint chutney was so much better than I expected. Only note is I suggest adding some water and lemon juice to the chutney. and now I'm hungry...  :D

@manda0817 You will be active and do those things again. It's been 16 years since mine and eventually I went back to doing my usual fitness activities, albeit a little bit more guarded because of the fear of tearing the other knee. It did take several years to get all the scar tissue to soften. Even now, there are areas that feel a tiny bit numb or "different." But my point is, there is no reason as to why you shouldn't be able to get back to being as active as you were.

I'm cautiously excited about tonight. Dining out at a nice Peruvian restaurant for a friend's birthday. The menu seems too good to be true. Calling later when they open to confirm. With the exception of a lot of corn, rice, and quinoa....everything else seems to be compliant (most of the food is raw fish marinated in citrus and lots of veggies! Not too many cream based dishes.

Have a great day everyone!

Hi All

Mind if I jump in here? DH and I started our first whole30 on 18th April. I've had digestion issues in the past (IBS) and we both suffer with unexplained joint pain. We're hoping to find out what the triggers might be. Sugar is a big issue for me (I have a massive sweet tooth) so very much looking forward to slaying my sugar dragon once and for all.

I am loving it so far (once I'd gotten over the day 2 and 3 carb hangover!). Just finished planning my menu for week two (food shopping days are Sunday and Thursday for us). I'm in the UK so finding compliant stuff can prove a little more difficult over here (we don't have the approved whole30 products) but we're managing okay. I've just turned into a label reading fanatic. Who knew they put sugar in so much random stuff?? I mean, seriously, why does beef stock need sugar?

Label reading has been a huge eye opener for me.

How's everyone feeling on day 5? I've been a bit tired today but overall feeling pretty good.

Good morning Whole30 peeps.

Yesterday was tough mentally for me because I was in a stupefied weirdness all day....not a fog...But my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders.  People in my office asked me NUMEROUS times what was wrong with me or if i was OK.   I explained that Im on this new restrictive program and they (not so jokingly) said GET OFF IT.  I have a big trip coming up next week in Montreal and I need to present, talk and obviously make sense!  LOL  Lets see if today will be better.  My DH is doing this also and he felt the same thing.

In terms of food I am good.  Haven't craved anything off plan and my meals are yummy and satisfying.  I made small organic sweet potatoes last night - baked whole with a bit of ghee.  We both agreed it's the best sweet potato EVER.  It tasted like DESSERT is was so sweet. Either that potato was amazing or my tastes are already shifting. Same with an apple....usually I find them tart (even the red ones) but this one was very SWEET.  YAY!!

Mariek76 - I agree!  I was shocked and dismayed by the amount of sugar and the fact that its in EVERYTHING.....why?  and why if they add it you can get it for 1.99 and if they don't it's 5.99?  Ridiculous.  

I am systematically going through pantry's and throwing out or giving away all items with the bad preservatives, bad oils, grains, or sugars.  It's going to be hundreds of dollars of stuff (3 pantry's).  I just got my first boxes from Barefoot provisions, vitacost and amazon for my whole30 approved pantry items. (picture attached)  Expensive but worth it.

Have a good Day 5 everyone!!

post-92822-0-89353100-1461330503_thumb.j

Victoria, I've had the headaches and nausea for two days. Not fun! Feeling a bit better today although still sluggish. I'm getting a carnitas salad (30 approved) for lunch so I'm looking forward to that.

If anyone would like to start a Facebook group for our start date, I think it would be easier to reply to everyone. Just a thought! 

Yes to the facebook group!  This is harder to manage and reply to.

Yesterday I was feeling great - minimal cravings and I've noticed I'm not eating as much (or overeating at all).  Today I decided to work from home and I'm a little anxious as it's a slow day, so I don't want to resort to old habits of grazing when I'm bored.   It's also the first day out of the normal routine.   But overall doing well.  I see the weekend as a bit more of a challenge, again less routine, but I'm ready to face it head on and keep my goals of staying on Whole30 my number 1 priority. 

Hi All!  Happy Day 5!

To those desiring a FB group, there is one that a few of us started after a W30 earlier this year.  Only a couple of us are actually active on it right now.  It was titled "Whole 30- Finishers", but I could easily change the title and just make it a W30 group.  Since it's already in place, it might be an easy way to go for those who desire it?  And those you don't can still use the forum... some might do both?

If you ARE interested in the FB group, maybe private message (unless you don't mind it being public) your FB name and description of your profile photo.  I'll add you.  The group is private so that only those in the group on FB can actually see it and see the posts.  You wouldn't be able to find it if you searched. 

Sounds like everyone is right on track this week!  Good job!  The headaches are the worst.  And, as the book says, the degree and length of those detox symptoms is directly related to how much junk-o-la we were putting into our bodies previously.  I had to remind myself of that during the headaches... "This is my own fault.  I did this to my body."  But all of the sudden you'll wake up one day SOON to a clear head and extra energy.  That's how I'm feeling today!  Despite really terrible sleep the last couple of nights.  So press on!  We've got this! 

My mission today is to make sure my meals are planned out through the weekend.  I'm always tempted on the weekend... especially now with more sunshine and temps creeping up. 

Archived