Nina's W30 - Resetting my sails...

habitualpurpose

Hi all!

I've done a few W30s in my past and it is definitely time for a new one. The past couple of years have been full of stress (teenage son was hospitalized for a very long time) and I have been hugely off course. It's time to reset my sails for a healthy life. Stress, painful arthritis, lack of sleep and weight gain are all telling me I desperately need this. Overall--I just want to be as healthy and as strong as I can be.

So...here it goes:

DAY 1

Meal 1 - eggs scrambled with zuchinni and onion, blackberries and raspberies, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2 - egg salad made with homeade compliant mayo over a bed of spinach and arugula

Meal 3 - Well Fed's chocolate chili topped with avocado over a bed of spinach and arugla, roasted cauliflower

It's interesting...

I have been thinking about, talking about, planning on doing a W30 for a few months now but just couldn't get started. I'd plan on a day and then that day I would get sidetracked by something full of carbs. Finally, over the weekend it just clicked and I was ready. I'm not sure what it was--perhaps it is because my arthritis pain (relatively new diagnosis this year at the age of 47) has come back only 3 weeks after cortisone injection. I am so hoping that this helps with my inflammation and pain. What I do know is that I feel motivated to take care of me--and it's been a while since that's been the case.

Not the best day today. Technically compliant in WHAT I ate but how I ate and quantity was not ideal. I ate far too little today due to not feeling hungry midday and poor planning for the evening (forgot to take food to work this evening and then came home late and just pulled together what was easy). Will do better tomorrow.

Meal 1 - 3 eggs scrambled with zuchinni and onion, and a cup of raspberries and blackberries

Meal 2 - didn't happen

Meal 3 - Egg salad made with 3 eggs with complaint homemade mayo on a bed of spinach of arugula

Much better day yesterday in regards to my eating!

My other dilemma these days is sleep. One of my teenage sons has significant medical issues and physical disabilities. He was hospitalized for about 8 months until mid last year and has been recuperating ever since. He's doing quite well considering but needs various kinds of care from me during every night. This means I am up at least once every night and most often 2-4 times and this is unavoidable at this time. Trying to find out if there are other things I can do to help combat the effects on my body from interrupted or lack of sleep.

DAY 5 (yesterday)

Meal 1 - 3 eggs scrambled with zucchini and onion; blackberries; coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2 - tuna mixed with homemade compliant mayo and avocado on a bed of spinach and arugula

Meal 3 - curry chicken and vegetables (carrots, onion and cauliflower) from the Nom Nom Paleo app; greenish banana with almond butter

Will post Day 6 (which is today) later today.

DAY 6:

Friday night I had a rough night of sleep and ended up sleeping in. I had a fairly large meal 1 of 3 eggs cooked in bacon (compliant) fat, 3 strips of bacon, one avocado, sautéed zucchini, onions and brocolli, and blackberries as well as a coffee with coconut milk around noon. I wasn't hungry again until around 6:30 and then had a meal 2 of a large helping of shepard's pie (topped with mashed potatoes made with chicken stock) and a salad topped with homemade mayo based dressing. Then I found myself not hungry for anything else. I know 2 meals in a day is not following the plan--but not sure what to do in this circumstance. Will try to plan better to avoid this kind of situation.

So sorry to hear about your son, Nina.  What is your daytime schedule like?  Can you nap?  I just remember when I had newborns and everyone told me - sleep when the baby sleeps.  Can you sneak in some naps or go to sleep early? Sleep in late when you can?

Hi MommaGem,

Thank you. He's only in school for one class per day right now (and I'm there with him) and requires care from me throughout the day. I do try to nap once in a while if the opportunity presents itself--but those moments are rare. It just is what it is right now. This situation is part of my motivation for trying to become the healthiest me I can be. I could try to go to sleep earlier. I tend to stay up a little once he's in bed as that is my moment of peace. I may need to rethink that.

4/24 - DAY 7

Overall I feel good. So far, this go-around has not felt "hard" in regards to food choices. And THAT fact feels great.

Meal 1 - 3 eggs over hard in bacon fat on top of a bed of spinach and arugula; blackberries; coffee with 2 T of Great Lakes Collagen and 2 T coconut milk

Meal 2 - leftover shepards pie

Meal 3 - half a baked potato with ghee; adobo chicken thighs; artichoke with ghee; salad with homemade dressing; banana with almond butter

4/25 - DAY 8

Was up 3 times last night (to help son) but felt pretty awake when I got up this morning. I may be imagining things, but it feels like my arthritis pain in my hips is slightly less than it was before I started a week ago. Crossing my fingers that continues to improve.

Meal 1 - 3 eggs over hard cooked in bacon fat, 1/2 avocado, sautéed zucchini, blackberries

Meal 2 - leftover curry chicken with lots of carrots and cauliflower

Meal 3 - chicken breast with garlic mayo; roasted brussel sprouts, small salad

I have to work tomorrow evening - so will need to plan on taking dinner with me. I want to avoid the situation I was in last Thursday evening.

4/27 DAY 10:

Wow, the 10 days have flown by. Overall I'm feeling pretty good. My sleep still suffers but that is not W30 related and still unavoidable. But in general I feel good for taking care of myself.

Today was a bit of a challenge but I rose to it. It was one of my son's birthdays and he had requested a special meal and cake that he loves (neither W30 compliant AT ALL). I made the cake and frosting from scratch as well as the casserole and did NO tasting at all. Definitely an NSV. I made myself a simple meal for dinner to stay on my plan.

Meal 1 - eggs over hard; compliant bacon; hash brown; black coffee

Meal 2 - smoked salmon and a friend egg over a bed of arugula and spinach; raspberries and blackberries

Meal 3 - tuna mixed with homemade mayo over a bed of arugula and spinach topped with avocado

Congratulations on Day 10 AND your birthday NSV!  My daughter's 3rd birthday is on Saturday and it will be (mentally) sooo hard not to eat cake with everyone.  But I know this process is important, and especially vital for me to know that I never HAVE to eat cake. 

Congrats again!!

Congratulations on Day 10 AND your birthday NSV!  My daughter's 3rd birthday is on Saturday and it will be (mentally) sooo hard not to eat cake with everyone.  But I know this process is important, and especially vital for me to know that I never HAVE to eat cake. 

Congrats again!!

You can do it!!! Have fun with the party on Saturday!

4/28 DAY 11:

I work evenings 1-2 days a week and those always seem to be the trickiest for me. I often end up eating the same thing for lunch and dinner.

Meal 1 - 3 eggs over hard cooked in bacon fat; blackberries; sautéed zucchini

Meal 2 - I discovered this AMAZING chicken salad recipe: http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-chicken-salad-with-bacon-and-scallions-whole30/. Ate chicken salad (with homemade compliant mayo and compliant bacon) over a bed of arugula and spinach

Meal 3 - same as Meal 2

4/20 DAY 12:

This was a difficult day. I felt "snacky" all day long but resisted--which was VERY difficult. Also, eggs were my only protein today due to a mishap with dinner. I had planned on having pulled pork but it was nowhere near done once dinner time was upon us. Not ideal.

Meal 1 - eggs over hard; avocado; sautéed zucchini; blackberries

Meal 2 - egg salad made with homemade mayo and bacon on a bed of arugula and spinach

Meal 3 - roasted cauliflower; salad and 3 hard boiled eggs

On 4/30 I will be going to dinner with my 14 year old son and then to a play. I've chosen a sushi restaurant and will plan on sashimi (no ginger or wasabi) or to ask them to modify rolls with no rice and will bring coconut aminos. I think it's my best choice given the restaurants in the area of the playhouse.

4/30 DAY 13:

Had an amazing day today. Went to a late lunch (early dinner but was Meal 2) and a play with my 14 year old and had such a great time. I planned ahead and went to a sushi restaurant. They didn't do anything fancy to what I chose and it lacked some pizazz but it was compliant (though missing veggies). Came home afterwards and had a full Meal 3.

Meal 1 - 3 eggs over hard, avocado, sautéed zucchini

Meal 2 - 2 sushi hand rolls with salmon and avocado (took coconut aminos with me)

Meal 3 - roasted cauliflower; pulled pork; hard boiled egg, blackberries

Archived