MommaGem's First Whole30

Present4Life

Day 31

Sleep: Got better sleep with melatonin.  My shoulder was hurting yesterday, so it wasn't as deep a sleep as normal, and I woke up at 6am, before the kids.

Exercise: No formal exercise today, but I did get 10,000 steps in

Mood:  So glad to have written down my accomplishments for the last 30 days.  Going into the next 30 with enthusiasm!

M1: 1 scrambled egg, Ground Pork, veggies, sweet potato, 1/2 avocado. Coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: Salmon, salad, cucumber, tomato, 1/2 avocado, tessemae dressing

M3: Italian roast Beef with veggies, broccoli, and decaf coffee w/ coconut milk

Other thoughts:  My husband did well on his first day  :)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 32

Took a long walk with the kids and hubby at a near-by park.  They are still little and can't walk as far, so we ended up carrying them part of the way back. 

M1: Ground Pork, veggies, sweet potato, 1/2 avocado. Coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: Egg Foo Young-ish from NomNom Paleo w/ salsa and olives

M3: Mexican Pork Chops (ISWF recipe), mashed sweet potato (W30 recipe), and roasted brussel sprouts w/ bacon (NomNom Paelo recipe) - Delicious!!

Day 33

My Round 2 challenge has recently been making sure I prep enough food for 2 people on W30.  I packed my husband's lunch for work and made 2 M1 for both of us this morning.  He's been doing great.  He's making an effort to go to sleep earlier, so he feels more rested during the day, and he even started jogging on the treadmill.

Today I had to make more ghee and prep more baggies of M1 for the rest of the week.  

M1: 1 scrambled egg, Ground Pork, veggies, sweet potato, 1/2 avocado. Coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: Leftover Italian Beef w/ veggies, sweet potato, small salad w/ Tessemae dressing

M3: Chicken Curry made w/ coconut milk & sweet potatoes plus roasted cauliflower

W3D1 of Couch to 5K complete!

Day 34

Wow, the number of days are starting to blur together.  I'm feeling rather down today, but I know it's a work thing and not a food issue.  Life stressors have been high since the program started and I actually consider it a blessing.  How am I supposed to learn not to comfort eat in response to stress if life was a breeze during the W30?  

M1: Ground Pork, veggies, sweet potato, 1/2 avocado. Coffee w/ coconut milk

**I am SO over eggs that I didn't add the egg to M1 and I was really hungry by the time lunch rolled around.  Need to increase the pork to even that out.

M2: Leftover Mexican pork, mashed sweet potato, cucumbers, tomatoes, 1/2 avocado. Coffee w/ coconut milk

M3: Pizza skillet (ISWF recipe - ground beef, tomatoes, olives & spinach) over pan-fried eggplant slices

Wow, I can't believe you are on Week 3 of the couch to 5K! I read when you first started. Seems like just a few days ago! I just started weight lifting. I hope when I get 3 weeks in, it will feel like it went by quickly. Right now it seems like eternity since I started on Monday!  :unsure:

In some ways, time seems to be flying, and in others it just trudges along.  I think it is because I am actually excited about my running days, so of course the things we are happy about go by faster.  But I feel like I finished the first 30 days weeks ago, but... it has only been 5 days.

Best wishes with weight lifting!  It's on my long-term goal list, but that list is long ;)

Day 35

Couch to 5K W3D2 - in 80 heat w/ humidity - whoo!  And will only get hotter over the next few months  :o

This has been by far the most stressful day since I started W30.  My husband just got the news that everyone in his company has to take a week furlough next month.  It's not going to break us, but it really is discouraging.  It's just One. More. Thing.  This is most definitely the day that, if my husband weren't only on Day 5, I would break down and make some Paleo brownies.  But I know it just won't serve either of us any good.  I have started this routine when I'm feeling down and stressed now... I start walking a path around my house, and make a cup of tea. I've been getting so many extra "stress steps" in each day.  My reaction to stress can only make me more healthy or less healthy; I need to make the wiser choice.  Besides, sure today is stressful, but so was yesterday, and the day before - if I give in to Paleo brownies for every stressful day, then I am back to Square One  :(

M1: Ground Pork, veggies, sweet potato, 1/2 avocado. Coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: Leftover chicken curry w/ coconut milk & sweet potatoes, roasted cauliflower

M3: Kielbasa, Peppers, and sauerkraut w/ 1/2 avocado

After lengthy and careful consideration last night, I have decided to end my "official" Whole 30 program this weekend.  This is feeling less like Food Freedom and more like Food Prison to me.  Physically, I am feeling great.  I have learned so much, and am planning on keeping 90% in line with Whole 30.

I will still avoid dairy, grains, soy, legumes, peanut butter, artificial sweeteners, and alcohol.  I will also still adhere to the No Snacking rule (snacking has no brakes for me). I will also still continue to have no-sweetener in my coffee. However, for the longevity of my healthy eating, I need to relax a bit on the added sugars and SWYPO rules. 

I dislike having to make separate trips to Whole Foods for triple-priced sugar free bacon, when there is organic, hormone-free, nitrate-free, uncured bacon for half the price at my regular grocery store, but.... it has some added sugar. Or searching everywhere under the sun for compliant sauerkraut.  I also dislike having anxiety attacks every time I'm faced with a restaurant. No harassing waiters about what oil my steak in cooked in.

I really like to bake yummy things for my family, and I think there is room for me to make one Paleo treat for the family on the weekend.  I'll eat it with my dinner and count it as my fat and starchy veg.  Or Paleo pancake/waffles for the family on the weekend. 

Thank you so much for your support, and you'll be able to find my new log over in the Reintroductions section :)

Have you read the article on the slow roll reintroductions? It's basically the direction you are headed. It says RELAX, don't spaz about all those hidden sugars and just keep up the rest of the restrictions until you are ready to add things back in.

http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

Sounds like a wise decision! One that I have contemplated a couple of times. I can't find any sunflower butter without added sugar. My favoritest pork sausage (local, pasture raised, best of the best!) has a teensy bit of sugar in it. But I can already hear myself say "oh, I can have some honey in my tea then." And "how about a little soy sauce in this dip?" I'm afraid I'm just not ready!

I completed a Whole 90.  I wore it like a badge of honor but I wouldn't do that again.  A Whole 30 with 30 compliant days are enough with a Reintro that immediately follows.   

With every passing day that one lets a Reintro phase slip by, the ground gets older.  Then there's a restart and so on.   I believe the original way is the best way.  Hindsight.   

I miss seeing the groups make it all of the way to the end together.  Intact.

Archived