Not an athlete - beginning exercise regime - post workout headaches

Hoode

Hello experienced athletes,

I am 44 years old and want very bad to get back into a regular exercise routine. I have discovered Tabata and I LOVE IT. I started doing some beginner workouts about 2 weeks into my Whole30 (I am not a newbie to the W30, this is my fourth go round...day 34) and I have been experiencing significant post-exercise headaches. I worked out for the last time last week due to an ocular migraine, which I have never had before. I lost partial vision in my left eye for about 20 minutes which was followed by a low-level headache at the base of my head that lasted until the next morning. I contacted my eye doctor and they confirmed that it was most likely an ocular migraine. I did some reading and discovered that migraines can accompany exercise. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it Whole30 related or a completely separate issue? I would love some advice because I do not want to give up on my exercise plan but do not want to suffer after every workout either.

I realize this is not specifically Whole30 related but also realize there are some experts here that may be able to help me out.

Thanks so much for any feedback.

Thank you for the reply. I drink a lot of water but it is possible that I am not drinking enough. Also, since I started this round of Whole30 I have been drinking a lot of Lacroix water which is carbonated. Could that be it? I am seriously hooked on the stuff and have hardly been drinking filtered water at all for the past month. 

Doubt it's the lacroix, but if you suspect it you could try skipping for a time to see what happens.

How often you get these, after all workouts, or was this a one time thing? Can't tell from initial post. If it's just that one time, I'd keep things rolling unchanged to see if it happens again. Could have been a one time thing. Correct me if this has been a trend for you.

For mine I just sit the 20 mins in a dark place and enjoy the visual show. Mine are pretty.

Hello experienced athletes,

I am 44 years old and want very bad to get back into a regular exercise routine. I have discovered Tabata and I LOVE IT. I started doing some beginner workouts about 2 weeks into my Whole30 (I am not a newbie to the W30, this is my fourth go round...day 34) and I have been experiencing significant post-exercise headaches. I worked out for the last time last week due to an ocular migraine, which I have never had before. I lost partial vision in my left eye for about 20 minutes which was followed by a low-level headache at the base of my head that lasted until the next morning. I contacted my eye doctor and they confirmed that it was most likely an ocular migraine. I did some reading and discovered that migraines can accompany exercise. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it Whole30 related or a completely separate issue? I would love some advice because I do not want to give up on my exercise plan but do not want to suffer after every workout either.

I realize this is not specifically Whole30 related but also realize there are some experts here that may be able to help me out.

Thanks so much for any feedback.

Are you female? And if so, are you taking Birth Control pills? 

Archived