Started my first Whole 30 today...

JimS

Hey all, I've been a fan of Whole9 since I first heard about the Whole30 program in January, but I've never done a Whole30 myself.

I've been eating paleo / primal since last fall and feel great overall. I've got some serious weaknesses that I have been indulging way too often recently. I'm a sucker for calorically dense paleo snacks like nuts, nut butters (including Adams peanut butter, ack!), dark chocolate, bananas, dried fruits, etc. I've been a lot less mindful of my eating habits the past six weeks or so and I've gained a few pounds and lost an element of control. I'm not completely off the wagon food-wise, but I need a mental and physical reset, so Whole30 here I come!

I'll be starting a Whole30 log today. I'm hoping it will help keep me honest through the next 30 days!

Jim, I think we're in the same boat -- vacation + holiday dinners = less mindful in eating habits lately. Dark chocolate, nuts and cheese (good cheese, but cheese nonetheless) are my downfall. This will be my third Whole 30 and I'm looking forward to a reset. Happy that this forum is up and running. Here we go!

This must be a big boat - I've been in it too with all the vacations, holidays, and just regular happy hours. Love my sweets, cheese, fried food, beer and wine. Fortunately, I steer away from bread and pasta for the most part, but today is Day 2 of the Whole 30 for me and it's been tough on my sweet tooth. But, hey, that's a big reason I'm here. Time to beat those cravings and retrain myself. Good luck everyone!

Day 6 is just about done. After nearly a week I'm doing pretty well overall, no stumbles or faceplants into junk food. :) But, it really does require consistent effort to remain mindful of when, what and how much I eat. It's subtle and sneaky... one minute I feel like I have everything under control... the next minute, I'm tempted by something forbidden and tasty!! Even when eating the right things, it's easy to indulge in just a little more when I really don't need it.

So far, thumbs up for the Whole30. It's nice to get back to really paying attention. It's so easy to let life distract you from making good food choices.

I started my first Whole 30 Monday and I have included my post on the challenge FB page that I did tonight. Unlike probably many members, I am completely the opposite of a healthy eater. Have always been able to "eat pretty much what I wanted" and "exercised so I could eat what I want" has worked for me the first 40 years of life but now, not so much. I not only eat horrible, carb laden, fatty foods, I eat too much. Portions are way too big and I am definitely carb addicted and MUST HAVE diet drinks. The only reason I am not overweight is because of decent genes and exercise. That being said, I quit alcohol two years ago completely and so I guess the DIet soda addiction is the lesser of the two. But since I quit drinking, what I used to think was OK as far as eating habits have now reared their ugly head and made themselves more obvious since the heavy drinking has subsided. I personally believe we all have our "stuff" and often times our bad habits carry over into other areas, once we gain control in one. I am new to this whole "forum" atmosphere and rarely "post" on anything. But this Whole 30 Challenge is definitely that! If it weren't for my competitive nature, not sure how motivated and determined I would be. I do hope this forum will help. I apologize for such a long post but thanks for the opportunity.

Facebook post:

Kind of "feeling sorry for myself", today. My family (which consists of a total of four children and myself) were eating pizza for lunch, which OK, was not that difficult to handle but at A-Day I was having to watch them (and sometimes help them hold) their hotdogs and brownies, and cookies, and (for the love) DIET COKE and popcorn and on and on and on. It's not the junk food that I wanted but I would have killed for a diet coke. Same thing yesterday, as they were eating Chinese food, all I was wanted was that stinking Diet Coke that they were drinking. I know I still have a long way to go to "slay that sugar dragon" as I am still needing (or think I do) a fruit fix at the end of each meal to feel "complete". On one hand I applaud my first seven days but in the other I see how far I have to go. Boredom is definitely a trigger for "cravings". When I am busy, no hesitation at all to make the healthy choices and move along. True addiction issues and their consequences are very familiar to me and as I examine the similarities, I have tried to apply the same principles used in other areas of addiction medicine. Psychologically, at least. I suspect that week two is going to be harder for me. Hoping that weeks three and four will be "downhill". Just needed to vent a little. I am pleasantly surprised however the lack of negative physical side effects I thought I would experience. Ready to see some more positive though. Patience has never been one of my strong points. Maybe I can gain a little improvement of that are in these 30 days also. Still glad I'm doing this. Anxious to see how this all plays out! Thanks for listening!

Archived