Hey Everyone :wub:

I haven't been active on a forum in a long time, but I am so happy and grateful you are here since I know I need community support to get this done.

(I'm a huge believer in group work, as my artist-support group has brought me through a lot of doubt and into a great chosen family of weirdos who love to create.)

I have been a cancer survivor for 8 years now, and have been teaching for ten years.  This spring I looked at myself and realized a few scary things:

1. I am way to young to be this exhausted all the time.  I want to have twice this level of energy when I'm 90, and I can.

2. I used to take better care of myself, having been scared by a brush with death at 23 I did everything I could to be healthy, and that scare and care have faded away with time.

3. I want to do so much more with my life, and I refuse to waste time and energy self medicating with sugar and carbs.

SO here I am promising you to start my day one on May 1st.  (Along with a promise to a friend who will kick my butt if she catches me putting sugar in my coffee.)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey jup1ternf and eusebius,

I have also marked my start date for May 1 ! I live in Vancouver, British Columbia and I am a registered nurse working in the maternity field. Ever since graduating and starting my job in September I have let my health take a back seat and need to hit that restart button and get back into putting my health first, starting with this program! I have never done a Whole30 before but it would be awesome to have a mini support group :) 

Fantastic:  at least three of us are going to keep each other going through May:) 

One thing I am thinking a lot about in terms of prep: 

I snack a lot when working in the office, in a mindless not-great way.  I am trying to decide if I should try to cut that out or if it's more realistic to prep whole30-style snacks for the day.  (Science says replacing a habit with a better habit is more successful than just trying to quit it... maybe a different replacement will work, like if I want to snack I make a cup or tea, or something like that.)

What do you think about that?  What kind of prep are you thinking about/doing?

Snacking is a big issue for me also ! My plan of attack is to have healthy snacks available for when I need something extra to keep me going, especially when everyone brings in goodies for us at the hospital. So things like fruits and veggies or I've heard lot of people keep Lara Bars handy as some of them are Whole 30 friendly. I really like the idea of making some tea first off before grabbing something to eat. I know when I'm bored I fill my time with snacking, but if I take the time to boil some water, get my tea cup and choose a tea and sit down to enjoy it then it will 1. hydrate me (because thats probably half the issue, not hunger) and 2. Keep my hands and mind busy instead of grabbing the snack right away. Of course, if I am still feeling hungry after that then a healthy snack would do but just something I will be trying out :)

As far as other prep goes I have read It Starts with Food and the Whole 30, I have made my meal plan for the first week, I have started a whole 30 journal that Ill be tracking my food, thoughts, etc in and I have tried to get some family/friends to join but still haven't convinced anyone to join me yet. 

Sbg, that is a great plan re: having tea instead of snacking.  I might have to steal that strategy  ;)

I started a whole30 about a year ago but then I suddenly had to move (landlord sold the house) so I didn't manage to finish it.  I read It Starts With Food a year ago but I'm rereading it now.  I probably won't have enough time to finish the Whole 30 book in advance as well but maybe it will inspire me over the 30 days.

My experience last year was that I didn't really need snacks because the meals were so filling, but there could be heavily scheduled days where I need them ...

• Moderators

For those of you wondering about snacking -- your best bet is to keep some emergency foods on hand, like pouches or cans of tuna or salmon, or compliant jerky. But ideally, you won't actually need them, because you will eat nice, big meals full of lots of vegetables and adequate amounts of protein and fat, and they will keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours at a time, and then you'd eat another meal.

If you do find yourself needing to eat between meals, either because you've misjudged how big your previous meal needed to be, or because you have exceptionally long days and more than five hours between meals, have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables.

Larabars are really only for emergencies, when there is absolutely nothing else available. They're as close as you can get to a candy bar on Whole30 and will keep your sugar dragon roaring. Stick to savory options instead of sweet.

Tea is an excellent option, especially if it's more habit than hunger making you want something. Do be sure to read labels, some teas sneak in soy or other off plan items.

Thank you Shannon!  It does seem that planning is really the key.

Hi JanetM!  Whereabouts are you located?  

I'm easing into the program by eating compliant foods as much as possible this week, so that day 1 isn't a giant shock to my system.  I think Melissa Joulwan-style Hot Plates will be my best friend!  :lol:

I'm easing into the program by eating compliant foods as much as possible this week, so that day 1 isn't a giant shock to my system.  I think Melissa Joulwan-style Hot Plates will be my best friend!  :lol:

Hot plates are my everyday lunch and I'm the envy of many at work. I prep my vegs at the beginning of the week. I make my lunch up every night while supper is cooking. Eating the template really holds me 4-5 hours so snacking hasn't been needed.

Good luck, all!

I am definitely proceeding with plan tea as a snack replacement.  I have ordered some compliant jerky, mini laura bars for emergencies, and some whole30 friendly condiments.  I really love ponzu sauce for snacking on veggies, so I am going to try and combine fresh lemon juice and coconut soy sauce replacement with vinegar for a compliant version.

I use a lot of fresh edamame and garbanzo beans in my past low carb cooking- pasta fagioli without the pasta, miso soup, and stir fried edamame pods used to be staples, so I am going to have to come up with new standards for a bit, and the Hot plates rabbit hole has got me pretty excited about meal planning.  There are some amazing looking combos I already know I will love.

Thank you for the help and recommendations, all!  Welcome to team May, Janet!

Eusebius, I think stepping in early is a great idea, this weekend I begin the great pantry rehaul of 2016 ;)

I'm not on the East Coast or in Canada but I'm starting on my second on May 1st also.

I agree, that if you follow the meal template you really don't need to snack at all. And if you do, a hard boiled egg has worked wonders for me. I can't do Larabars or fruit at all on my W30, because they keep the Dragon happy and that isn't gonna fly this time.

I also do a big prep on Sunday, chicken thighs and breasts in the crock pot with some compliant Tessemae's dressing and some root veggies in the oven, this makes it easy to grab and go for lunches or dinners when the family wants something "I Choose Not to Eat". 

Some tips from someone who had great results and then didn't do the reintroductions, I had to really limit my servings of starchy veggies to one fist sized serving a day to keep the bloating down. I also ended up having to take a digestive enzyme as I have some digestion issues from undiagnosed gall bladder disease, so if you find yourself having issues digesting the additional meat don't feel guilty (like I did) for taking something to support your system. I also had great luck with Wholly Guacamole single serve guac from Costco. They are compliant and the perfect serving size for me. Also easy to pack if necessary. 

I'm starting May 1 as well! I live in Ontario, Canada. I recently lost 25 pounds, and want to keep it off! I'm hoping the Whole30 will help me have a better mindset when it comes to food and a better awareness of what feels good for my body. This week: working on The Plan!

Yay this group is really taking off!

jup1ternf, I love the idea of a compliant homemade ponzu!

tmhampton and CanadianMom, great to have you with us!

tmhampton - thank you for your hints from your previous experience - I know I really benefit from hearing from people who've done this before.

CanadianMom, where are you in Ontario?

Hi all! I'm in Baltimore. The only things I'm worried about is NO artificial sweeteners? I am trying to taper before May 1 but that one worries me. Also I'm afraid of being hungry. I don't see how I'm going to get through the day without snacking.

Anybody have any ideas about how to eat veg for breakfast (other than mixing with eggs)?

What are your biggest worries going in?

Janet

CanadianMom - Cool!!  I bet it's beautiful where you live.  I am so happy that it's warmer now and yes, I definitely feel like I have more energy to tackle the Whole30!

JanetM - How do you use artificial sweeteners normally?  I was using them in my coffee but I stopped.  I find I've adjusted pretty well.  

My experience last year was that if I ate enough at meals I didn't need snacks, but everyone's different!

I've been having salad greens with olive oil & balsamic with my eggs in the morning.  I like it :)

Worries: Hmmm well, I'm definitely an emotional eater and I'm worried that I won't be able to keep myself from snacking at night.  But I am also an OA member so that should help ...

Erika

Let's see:

Tmhampton I definitely appreciate the tips from experience...  And the guacamole rec because guac is life!

Hi CanadianMom, and Berkeley,  welcome to our spring inner cleaning:)

Janet:  I was worried about my coffee fix so I started that a week early to tackle some of my big worries as a kind of pregame:

I soaked a cup of almonds overnight, then rinsed them and blended them with vanilla powder, a pinch of sea salt and two cups of water, then strained through a really fine mesh bag:  voila, almond creamer with no sugar, but it made my coffee different but still delicious.

I am worried about breakfast too, so this week in my pregame I am trying strips of grilled chicken in hot sauce with carrots and celery (with blue cheese dip, which I know won't fly on May 1) as a step in thinking of breakfast as "Meal 1" instead of "super carb and yogurt time," as my brain likes to think of it.

Today I woke up and though, how the hell am I going to get out of bed without the promise of something I want to eat with a decent degree of real worry.  Which just cements for me how much I need to do this, so I want to get up in the morning to live, not eat sugar.   

And oh the terror of my weekend condiment clean up, I have never recycled so many bottles.  A lot of marinades made of thirty things went on the grill this week.

Very interested to hear other breakfast plans, as this will be the hardest me for me I think.  That and the 3 pm post teaching crash.

Wow. Great title....me too. I'm starting May 1 as well. I finished a Whole30 in 2014 and it had a remarkably positive effect on my physical and emotional well being. I tried a few months ago and, like Icarus, I flew too close to the sun around day 10 and forgot to stay humble and simply follow the guidelines no matter what came up. I know this is how I'm supposed to eat and am humble, grounded and grateful for this forum and this group. Fat and veggies sittin' in a tree, ..............

To those clearing out their supplies:  are you trying to use things up, tossing or giving them away, or hiding them until after?  I am kind of on the fence about the hiding plan as now I am wondering if it's good to have them around, even boxed up in the basement, etc.

I'm the only one in my household doing the Whole30, and my husband's only condition to him supporting me was that he wouldn't have to change his own habits (I'm hoping once he sees my NSVs he will hop on board!). So, rather than stashing or purging all the non-compliant food, I've added a Whole30 bin to my fridge and pantry. The idea is that it will contain special, easy to grab foods just for me. So far it just has avocado oil, some Lara bars and organic apricots....but I'm hoping that by having my "whole 30 areas" that I can just focus on those and not the chips or popcorn!

Archived