Do I have to start again?

Ok, it's day 13, I drank a mouthful of orange juice (from a supplier I know squeezes their own juice from fruit) but then realised the one I bought has sugar added. They only have one or two juices that sugar is added to, the rest do not and I accidentally picked one of the ones that did (it looks like Sydney Sunrise to me - Orange juice and mint) and since I can't always eat fruit raw, sometimes juice and puree fruit is all I can manage. I can't eat bananas or whole fruits on their own (I have Oral Allergy Syndrome).

so the question is.... Do i start over with Day 1?

• Moderators

We direct you to this article to read and decide if you need to start over.

http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

I do question why, if you can't eat fruit, you feel you need to drink juice or eat puree to replace the actual fruit? There is nothing in fruit that you cannot get in more bioavailable quantities from vegetables so you don't have to eat fruit and in fact many participants stop eating fruit for the program to help with their sugar dragon.

I'm new to this whole 30 thing and I eat fruit because normally, I don't eat fruit or vegetables very often. I used to be a vegetarian before I had my children but after my first son, something changed in my body and the first thing I was not able to eat was carrots - that was 18 years ago. I still can't. Now it includes avacado, bananas, tomato (which was ok about a year ago but is not ok now), peas, corn, or anything steamed. Vegetables have to be cooked all the way through and if this is the only way I can get whatever I can in - that's what I am doing plus, I dont want to get bored eating the exact same vegetables all the time. The only ones I can really eat have to be cooked and are potatoes, sweet potato, pumpkin, beetroot (small amount) green beans, capsicum, onions and cabbage. That's it. The rest give me a range from vomiting and being sick for a couple of days to itchy everything to hives etc. So if there are some things I can manage without having to take supplements. I can't eat an orange (swelling, itchy mouth), but a small orange juice seems to be ok. I can't eat an apple whole, green seems to be the only one, but if it is mixed with beetroot, raspberries and small amount of pineapple - its ok. Plus... they're on the list. They aren't the main part of my diet but since what I can and can't eat in the way of vegetables, and fruit, I'm including whatever I can that is included on the list.

Read the link, thanks.

Well... Looks like tomorrow is Day 1.

At least I won't have the Day 2-3 sugar headache. I've already been keen with the label reading and so far, it's made me think about the food I feed my two boys, one of which eats way too much sugar and so I've switched the type of meats we eat (not more GMO or hormone meats). They freely eat raw fruit and vegetables without any allergies. I can say that, I've never eaten so well as I have in the last 13 days. I have much less mood swings and cravings and I have 3 glass bottles on my desk that I have challenged myself to drink all three before I leave work. I've drunk more water in the last 13 days than I have in the last 18 months. I'm pretty proud of that.

was considering doing Whole 45 since I am finding that I am enjoying the mindfulness of food - cooking new things, figuring out how to flavour something without adding sugar or sweetners, learning how to use spices and herbs and even checking those for additives if I can't get a hold of fresh.

A colleague offered me some Halva yesterday and I could smell the sickly smell of sugar and for the first time, I actually felt sick lol, I could smell how sweet it was and even though I had a sweet craving for Tim Tams chocolate biscuits (which I dont normally eat but couldn't get out of my mind), I couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm prepared to do 30 more days. I want to be well - that's the point.

I'm listened to the entire Whole30 book (It Starts With Food) and I heard about the lady who has veggie and fruit problems like me! For so long I have wanted to enjoy an apple on the train on my commute home as we go over the Sydney Harbour bridge. I've smelt nectarines in the summer and not been able to enjoy even a bite. I can't really remember what they taste like anymore. My favourites used to be Golden Queen Peaches from my grandmother's big tree. Now I can only eat them from a tin - it really isn't the same. (not during Whole30 of course). One thing I miss the very most though is eating a raw carrot sticks, first the crunchy outside and then the sweet part in the middle. I used to go through bags of carrots. Or eating a banana - the cooked version is starting to have a negative effect also now. I dont know if it's because I'm getting older or I'm just not going to be eating banana's ever again.

Oh Well, Day 1 tomorrow.

Archived