Starting April 25. Anyone else?

ctgraham

I am feeling both better and worse since starting. Better in that I already feel (and look) less bloated, my reflux has been at bay and I have been able to resist temptation and giving in to the sugar cravings. I have a number of reasons for starting the Whole 30, but my main one was to get back in to better eating habits, so that is a huge accomplishment for me already. 

On the flipside, I am so extremely tired when I get home and fall asleep super early now. I am also experiencing waking up at least 2x a night before waking up in the morning to go to the bathroom. Currently I feel a headache coming on and feel like I am in desperate need for a nap. I don't feel great but I know at least this is all part of the process and only temporary.

Looking forward to the weekend and prepping for Week 2!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear folks when they're talking about being tired and not sleeping well! Maybe it's too early to notice a difference, but I am still hoping for amazing sleep very soon! I'm just not there yet. Was quite proud of myself this morning: met a colleague for breakfast and had a veggie omelet without cheese, toast, pancakes, etc. Don't think I've ever done that in my life. I missed the cheese, but got through it. And I'm feeling so light because of it! And I cam across a recipe for sweet potato soup with coconut that sounds amazing. I'll share the recipe if it's any good! Great job, everyone - we are on our way! :)

Michele thanks so much for helping me feel normal. I thought about the extra fluids in veggies that could be contributed to the nightly visits. I drink Zero water and I have three 27oz bottles with their own filter. I refill them every eve so I know exactly what I drink. The only difference in fluid intake has to be food. Thanks again for your input my dear. Have a super Day 5 as well!

Seltzer. Lots of seltzer. Seltzer with lemons and limes. Seltzer with mint. But just keep your glass filled. You get the fizzy taste and helps you feel included. Seltzer is your friend.

Yes, I have been drinking sparking water and tea and regular water so much! I constantly have something in my hand to drink. 

Tonight seems very hard-Friday nights mean splitting a bottle of wine and decompressing with a movie. Tea seems like it won't cut it. I teach during the day and the kids were especially squirrel-y. Trying to be resolved. 

Yes, I have been drinking sparking water and tea and regular water so much! I constantly have something in my hand to drink.

Tonight seems very hard-Friday nights mean splitting a bottle of wine and decompressing with a movie. Tea seems like it won't cut it. I teach during the day and the kids were especially squirrel-y. Trying to be resolved.

I teach too. And I'm running Junior prom which is tomorrow so I was running around like crazy getting things done and dealing with kids buying tix last minutes. I wish I could have some wine or beer too... I'm settling for compliant bacon as an accompaniment to breakfast for dinner! :-)

Friday nights are tough! I always feel I deserve a glass or two ;) of wine for making it through the week. Throw in a grouchy 7 year old and a husband who's working late (who also mentioned how much he'd like a beer) and it makes for a serious case of willpower! It doesn't help that I have two open bottles of wine in the fridge calling my name. I know I should just dump them out, that they probably aren't going to be too tasty come day 31..... :huh: I keep telling myself that it's only 30 days and that I've done it before, I can do it again! 

I teach too. And I'm running Junior prom which is tomorrow so I was running around like crazy getting things done and dealing with kids buying tix last minutes. I wish I could have some wine or beer too... I'm settling for compliant bacon as an accompaniment to breakfast for dinner! :-)

Friday nights are tough! I always feel I deserve a glass or two ;) of wine for making it through the week. Throw in a grouchy 7 year old and a husband who's working late (who also mentioned how much he'd like a beer) and it makes for a serious case of willpower! It doesn't help that I have two open bottles of wine in the fridge calling my name. I know I should just dump them out, that they probably aren't going to be too tasty come day 31..... :huh: I keep telling myself that it's only 30 days and that I've done it before, I can do it again! 

I think you can freeze the wine to use in spaghetti sauces and such later....hopefully, it is not expensive. :)

• Moderators

For those of you experiencing challenges with sleep and peeing at night, you are definitely not alone, it does happen. The sleep is due in part to your hormones rebalancing so one way you can really help that is to eat within one hour of waking... that's eating a full template meal within the hour since waking... If this is not something you are accustomed to, it can take some time to get there but make yourself a full template meal, eat as much as you can and then wrap it up and eat from it again as soon as you are able (don't wait to be hungry, that won't work, that's also your hormones).

As far as peeing, yes this will also even out so stay the course and know that you're not alone and it's a common thing around here

Hi All,

Just wanting to check in and give me thoughts on sleeping. It took until the very end of my first Whole30 to experience better sleeping, and it does not happen for everyone. I know we all hear about the amazing results that friends/family have, but you are unique, which means you will have a unique reaction to this experience. The hope is everyone experiences something amazing, but it will be different for everyone. Just take a deep breath and realize that no matter what, you have made a choice to make healthier choices (yeah for you!) and this is all just one big learning experience. 

On another note, I made it through day 5 successfully, but have a dinner party tonight that I can't avoid. We are taking recipes that are compliant, however, I do not want to hog them to myself and not let others eat...planning on having a nice time with friends and maybe needing to wait to eat dinner after. I am also planning on taking some of my favorite seltzer to enjoy.

Hi All,

Just wanting to check in and give me thoughts on sleeping. It took until the very end of my first Whole30 to experience better sleeping, and it does not happen for everyone. I know we all hear about the amazing results that friends/family have, but you are unique, which means you will have a unique reaction to this experience. The hope is everyone experiences something amazing, but it will be different for everyone. Just take a deep breath and realize that no matter what, you have made a choice to make healthier choices (yeah for you!) and this is all just one big learning experience. 

On another note, I made it through day 5 successfully, but have a dinner party tonight that I can't avoid. We are taking recipes that are compliant, however, I do not want to hog them to myself and not let others eat...planning on having a nice time with friends and maybe needing to wait to eat dinner after. I am also planning on taking some of my favorite seltzer to enjoy.

Thanks, Elizabeth. I hope the sleep fairies come soon. :)

Also, I did come across a totally delicious recipe for Sweet Potato Coconut Soup that I will keep long after W30. It's http://www.janssushibar.com/sweet-potato-coconut-soup/and I really, really loved it! Let's go, Day 6!

Thanks, Elizabeth. I hope the sleep fairies come soon. :)

Also, I did come across a totally delicious recipe for Sweet Potato Coconut Soup that I will keep long after W30. It's http://www.janssushibar.com/sweet-potato-coconut-soup/and I really, really loved it! Let's go, Day 6!

That soup sounds great! It might end up on the menu this week! 

First weekend of Whole30...

I've fallen victim to random [accidental] napping and it makes me feel like I'm pregnant or something. Lol! I mean...if I didn't know for certain that I am NOT, I could see how someone would think that the fact that I'm so prone to falling asleep these past couple of days must mean that I am with child.

I also have made it through the week with minimal cravings. That is, until today. Since about midday, I've been beating back some INTENSE cravings for cookies, cheese, chips, and pancakes (not all at once). Again, if someone were just casually observing me, they would most certainly immediately think that I must be preggo.

Luckily, I am finishing up my masters, so I am feverishly writing and re-writing my capstone research paper and my final presentation to a faculty panel, which is Wednesday. I say "luckily" because it means that I legitimately cannot go out. No outings with friends or NYC brunches...and NO TEMPTATIONS. But I will at some point have to come to terms with how I plan on handling weekends and socializing on Whole30. I did very well yesterday facilitating an all day training, which started with Dunkin Donuts and a continental breakfast, and went downhill from there. I also met up with a friend and his aunt and uncle who were in the city from out of town, and I resisted wine, bread, and an AMAZING MENU at MY FAVORITE ITALIAN RESTAURANT IN ALL OF NYC (Mia Pia). I couldn't believe it...but I chalk it up to exhaustion.

Lastly, is anyone else experiencing insane GI changes????????? My digestive tract has been all over the place the past few days (since Wednesday or Thursday). I've gotten used to weird pains and rumblings down there for some time, which was a contributing factor to my decision to try this process and attempt to form some new food related habits, but I've always been very regular (sorry if that's TMI). Well, this week...my regularity has been interrupted and I have so much gas and still lots of happenings in my tummy. Things haven't been disrupted terribly, but as someone who could practically time her bathroom trips like a Swiss train, it's really been bothering me that my schedule is off. I don't know. Is this normal?

• Moderators

Hey there!

Congrats on all your avoidance of temptations... it does get easier as you go through whole30 and you don't have to be a shut in... altho fortuitous that you're writing at this time so that's a good distraction.

As far as GI issues go, it is normal to have some changes and regulating as things start healing. If you're particularily bothered about it, I would go open a trouble shooting thread and list two/three days of what you've been eating including portion sizes, specific veggies, protein and fat as well as fluid intake and we can take a look and see if there's anything to tweak for you.

Happy Day 7 Whole 30ers! 

I'm feeling extra perky this morning after a solid 10 hours of sleep! I did have strange/vivid dreams.....not about food, yet :P

I wanted to share a recipe that I made last night. It was so good and hit the spot after an all day family outing where all I ate was an RX bar. Needless to say we were starving when we got home!

Here's the link:http://www.skinnytaste.com/grilled-flank-steak-with-chimichurri/I served it with roast sweet potatoes, a green salad and watermelon. So good that I think it's on the menu for tonight as well.

Have a great Sunday!

Happy Sunday , Phew made it through the weekend ! It was really hard being invited out for dinner but we decided to eat at home and visit afterwards. There were snacks in the evening but I am giving myself a super pat on the back because even though they were right in front of me all evening as we were playing dominoes I sipped on water and a cup of herbal tea. Felt I needed something when I came home though so I had a salad and a kiwi. Now on to today and starting Week 2 tomorrow !

My sleeping patters have definately improved , I used to take hours to fall asleep and up several times through the night, now happy to report I am sleeping all night. Used to drink coffee and tea all day long , now only coffee in the morning, sure made a huge difference to me !

Hope everyone has an awesome day and a happy Week !

Hey everybody and Happy 7th day anniversary!  Thank you all for the feedback on my pee/sleep questions.  I'm glad to hear it's normal.  I can't say that I've not had any cravings as I have but the delicious food at every meal keeps me something good to look forward to and pass through those cravings.  Today was communion at church.  I nudged my hubby and said "Do not partake mister, only stick your tongue in the juice" :D (which is what we both did).  He's having a hard time with sweets right about now.  I try to include a small piece of fruit at the end of M1 and M2 to help with that.  He tells me that brushing his teeth is the highlight of his days right now (sweet toothpaste)....hahaha.  We're going to make it just fine.  Sure hope you all are doing great as well.  XOXO

• Moderators

Hey everybody and Happy 7th day anniversary!  Thank you all for the feedback on my pee/sleep questions.  I'm glad to hear it's normal.  I can't say that I've not had any cravings as I have but the delicious food at every meal keeps me something good to look forward to and pass through those cravings.  Today was communion at church.  I nudged my hubby and said "Do not partake mister, only stick your tongue in the juice" :D (which is what we both did).  He's having a hard time with sweets right about now.  I try to include a small piece of fruit at the end of M1 and M2 to help with that.  He tells me that brushing his teeth is the highlight of his days right now (sweet toothpaste)....hahaha.  We're going to make it just fine.  Sure hope you all are doing great as well.  XOXO

I think that's very funny that his favorite part of the day is brushing is teeth... that's cute!

You can take communion on Whole30... sounds like you guys were okay only partially partaking but anyone else that reads this, religious ceremonies and doctors orders trump Whole30.

I totally passed out this afternoon! Thank goodness my hub took the older two out on errands and the baby was napping. It may have something to do with staying up way too late last night running the Jr. Prom and then being awakened at 6am by the kids. I hit the trifecta. W30 nap days combined with lack of sleep. Nap felt great and I can't wait to get back in bed after kids go to sleep. :-)

Leftovers from tonight's dinner for lunch tomorrow. Pork tenderloin, roasted potatoes and since I ate all the zucchini at dinner, will bring a big salad.

On to week two, folks! Yay.

Yes I was very tired today as well. Managed to get through breakfast and lunch and lay down for a nap, but couldn't sleep. Tomorrow's another day so we'll see if I can recover. Here's to another successful week for all!

Yeah! We made it through Week 1! What has everyone learned so far? Here is what I have learned, even the second time around:

• I am still not sick of eggs for breakfast (this is wonderful and amazing)
  • Homemade mayo is so good - I relearn this every time I make it
  • I am struggling with what I call "food brain", which is thinking about food way too much, even though I know I am not hungry. Does anyone else have this issue? I did not experience it during my first Whole30, so its been a little frustrating this week. Hoping to focus on it this week.
  • I do not need to make meals too complicated, I am at my best when making dinner takes under an hour. Beyond that, I get annoyed with how much work I am putting into something that my husband and I will eat in 10 minutes

Here is to a successful Week 2!

Thank you SugarCube.  Yes, I realized I could take communion.  It wasn't W30 rules I was worried about breaking, it was that we were so weak today - really craving sweets that I was afraid of where it would take us after that tiny yummy sip of grape juice.  It was important that we did partake so the tongue worked fine :-)

I haven't thought about being tired much, except last night as I was reading 'It Starts With Food' (for my first time!), I could not stay awake. I was out before 9:30. I got a good nights sleep for sure. The weekend has been harder with wanting to enjoy different foods. For the most part my family has been eating same as me in the evening, though tonight I made them homeade chocolate buttermilk waffles. Sigh. On to week two! Great work ladies. I enjoy reading the posts of the struggles and triumphs.

Not only did I make it to the weekend, but I made it through the weekend! Every other diet-type program I've started, I end up cheating somehow. But not today! I really want to stick this out and see what I might be sensitive to during the reintroduction portion and to kick that sugar dragon to the curb!

Also, like most people so far have posted about for day 7, I was also super tired. It hit around 5pm where I just felt like I could go to bed. I'm looking forward to that tiger blood!

Archived