Starting April 25. Anyone else?

ctgraham

I SURVIVED JAZZ FEST. I am from New Orleans and do no miss Jazz Fest. For those that have not had the pleasure of going, the food there is to die for. Luckily I went last weekend as well so I got my fix of softshell crab po-boy. I was most worried about being tempted to drink, knowing that my fiance and friends wouldn't be holding back, but truthfully it wasn't that hard. Not drinking made me notice how much everyone else drank (and how much I drank last weekend), and kind of made me reflect on that. You can't bring food in to the Fest, so I had to eat lunch there (we were there from 11 AM to 5 PM). Basically all I ate was cochon de lait (roasted pork) and grilled shrimp with some lettuce. Cochon de lait usually comes as a po-boy with coleslaw. I just asked for a plate of meat.  I know I didn't have enough vegetables, but I made sure to have them for breakfast and dinner. I just had to pray that everything was "compliant"; there's no way to know for sure. It's not like I was at a restaurant where I could ask the server about how everything was prepared. Even if something non-compliant snuck in there, I know my mind was in the right place. I certainly was not trying to cheat or rationalize. I did my best, so I'm calling that good enough. 

For dinner I made zoodles with this bolognese sauce recipe that a friend of mine gave me. It was delicious, and is good for leftovers (depending on how many you're serving. My fiance and I ate it twice, and there is still some left.). We used ground beef instead of sausage. And to make the zoodles I just used a potato peeler. Turned out great.  http://www.paleonewbie.com/paleo-pasta-bolognese-zucchini-recipe/ 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was pretty challenging. Had a hard time getting to sleep and didn't doze off until 3:30 am. Woke up at 7. Had three boiled eggs and banana at work. Its going to be a long day!

Anyone else having challenges sleeping? According to timeline I thought I would be sleeping more not less!

My sleeping has improved slightly, but I am hoping for a lot more. Let's be patient, Kimber! (both of us!!!)

Made super-yummy cauliflower rice with coconut. Highly recommend! (Basically, food process cauliflower, sauté in coconut oil, and add some shredded coconut). I'm eating it cold for lunch. Slightly cooked, but still crunchy. Eating with mango chicken. Better than my usual frozen Lean Cuisine!

Great job making it through the weekend, everyone!  I am just posting for the first time after starting last week with you (on Tuesday -- I’m a day behind -- but at least I got a headache the first day so I could feel like I was right on schedule with you).  

My main reason for doing the Whole30 is to start to deal with the SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth) I recently found out I have which causes me to look 4 months pregnant from bloating even though I’m not overweight.  I don’t like to eat much meat so have always had a high-carb diet, and even though I was eating mostly whole grains, veggies, and not much sugar, the carbs (even some Whole30 compliant veggies) feed the problem and make it worse.  On my own I haven’t changed my eating habits much, so I decided I needed some better rules and accountability. 

So far, having leftovers and pre-prepped foods has helped.  I made some of the food on the Whole30 Week 1 plan from the following link, and I like the ideas about throwing a meal together.  (I’m tired of chili, though.) http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/ 

Thanks for the ideas (like how to get through the weekend without a glass of wine), recipe links, and encouragement you are all giving!  After 7 (or 8) days, we’ve put in WAY too much effort to stop before Day 30!  WE CAN DO IT!!!  :D 

tammi2shoes -- all this meat (or resetting, or whatever) isn’t helping my normally not-normal GI issues.  I’m drinking a ton of water and also taking a magnesium supplement.  

SugarCube /DiGill  -- thanks for the comments about communion.  I did partake yesterday but selected gluten-free.  (Being the only grain I’ve consumed, it felt even more sacred!)      

Yeah! We made it through Week 1! What has everyone learned so far? Here is what I have learned, even the second time around:

• I am still not sick of eggs for breakfast (this is wonderful and amazing)
  • Homemade mayo is so good - I relearn this every time I make it
  • I am struggling with what I call "food brain", which is thinking about food way too much, even though I know I am not hungry. Does anyone else have this issue? I did not experience it during my first Whole30, so its been a little frustrating this week. Hoping to focus on it this week.
  • I do not need to make meals too complicated, I am at my best when making dinner takes under an hour. Beyond that, I get annoyed with how much work I am putting into something that my husband and I will eat in 10 minutes

Here is to a successful Week 2!

Yah we did!

Day 8 and here are my observations thus far:

I'm stronger than I thought

Dates are good, like really good

I am starting to really appreciate the flavor of food. I had a carrot on Saturday and was actually thinking, wow this is good. Weird right. 

I'm not sick of eggs yet

I do not like chinese five spice (my attempt at making stirfy sauce)

Guacamole is good on most things

I'm thinking about food, a lot.

So Mother's Day is a week away... we usually host for brunch. Any thoughts on how you will navigate that day? Any approved (yet amazing) brunch recipes? I'll research this week, but thought I'd ask you fine folks first...

Thanks!

So Mother's Day is a week away... we usually host for brunch. Any thoughts on how you will navigate that day? Any approved (yet amazing) brunch recipes? I'll research this week, but thought I'd ask you fine folks first...

Thanks!

Brunch is such an amazing thing to host while on Whole30, because almost everything can be made compliant. Just a few quick ideas:

Really, your options are endless for brunch! Enjoy, what a wonderful way to learn some great new recipes.

Today was pretty challenging. Had a hard time getting to sleep and didn't doze off until 3:30 am. Woke up at 7. Had three boiled eggs and banana at work. Its going to be a long day!

Anyone else having challenges sleeping? According to timeline I thought I would be sleeping more not less!

Everyone is different and some don't have improved sleeping patterns until close to the end of their 30 days. Are you eating within one hour of waking? This is a tip I've heard from the moderators that starts to regulate your hormones and make sure you watch your caffeine intake! One other tip is to make sure you follow the meal template.....veggies, fat and protein. It makes all the difference.

Brunch is such an amazing thing to host while on Whole30, because almost everything can be made compliant. Just a few quick ideas:

Really, your options are endless for brunch! Enjoy, what a wonderful way to learn some great new recipes.

Wow, Elizabeth, thanks!!!  :)

Hey there!

Congrats on all your avoidance of temptations... it does get easier as you go through whole30 and you don't have to be a shut in... altho fortuitous that you're writing at this time so that's a good distraction.

As far as GI issues go, it is normal to have some changes and regulating as things start healing. If you're particularily bothered about it, I would go open a trouble shooting thread and list two/three days of what you've been eating including portion sizes, specific veggies, protein and fat as well as fluid intake and we can take a look and see if there's anything to tweak for you.

Thanks for the response!

Things haven't really gotten better. I'm going to hold on until I hit the two week mark to let things balance out. But yesterday, after eating lunch (one palm sized half of a salmon filet topped with avocado "salsa" and a really nice, homemade side salad of mixed greens, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes with light olive oil and balsamic vinegar) my stomach was in PAIN!! I could not focus it was so bad. It is most definitely gas and bloating. It has been so bad these past few days and it has to go away for me to continue. Then I came home from work and practically passed out. This is so unlike me. I am very active, and the fact that I haven't had the energy or stamina to make it through a work day, let alone make it to the gym is totally odd. 

I actually took today off because my stomach was hurting most of the night and I am now a little afraid to eat. If it does persist, I may take your advice and troubleshoot things in the forums. I am really hoping that it is my system trying to get to a new [healthier] normal. Today hasn't been so bad, but I've been really shying away from eating, which isn't good, I know. I'm going to try to have a small piece of chicken and some cauliflower and a salad. I have plans this weekend to try to make a simple W30 approved soup. 

We'll see.

I'm still keeping it positive, I'm just dumbfounded with this stomach issue.

• Moderators

Salmon can cause gas, pain and bloating in some people... in fact I had to re-read the title of which thread I was in because we just helped out with this same problem in another thread.

Definitely go post in troubleshooting. Be sure to include portion sizes as they relate to the template, fluid intake, meal timing and anything else like outstanding medical conditions that might play into this.

It could be the tomatoes too, now that I re-read... tomatoes can be really hard on people with FODMAP and histamine intolerance.

Avocados are also on the list of foods that can cause extra gas and bloating for some people.  I've been trying to incorporate low-FODMAP (additional restrictions !?!!) into this 30 days. There are a lot of contradictory lists, but I've found the lowFODMAP list (under specialty shopping lists) is a good guide. http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/   (Cauliflower, broccoli, and cabbage are offenders for sensitive systems, too.)  Sorry you are suffering - I hope you feel better soon!   

Yes I was very tired today as well. Managed to get through breakfast and lunch and lay down for a nap, but couldn't sleep. Tomorrow's another day so we'll see if I can recover. Here's to another successful week for all!

I was too yesterday. I felt so exhausted and tired. I just wanted to go to sleep.  During our Family Worship I fell asleep. Felt so bad. On day 9 now and feel a little better but still tired.

Got a question.  Is there any alternative to coconut?  I don't eat or drink coconut. I see recipes require this.  And vinegar is very tough on my stomach. I love salads but don't want vinegar based dressings or ones that incorporate coconut.

ElizabethG, thank you for this incredibly thoughtful response. I really appreciate your insight on this forum. Hope you're having a great Week 2! 

Hi eka610,

Whole30 can bring an increase in food costs, especially if you are used to eating things like rice and beans, which are cheaper. However, here are a few things I learned the first time around and recommend:

• Only cook meat 2-3 nights a week, I usually try to stick to 2 nights, which has really helped bring my costs back to normal. On the other nights I utilize canned fish and eggs
  • Find recipes that stretch your 1lb of meat into more than 4 servings. This is where the crockpot can be super helpful making large patches of soups, chili, etc. that use a ton of vegetables and can easily create 5-6 servings
  • Prioritize more expensive items based on your personal tastes. For example, I have never bought "fancy" cooking fats other than coconut oil and ghee because that is what I like, no need to spend the money on avocado oil if I can do with out it
  • Scrutinize each recipe...do you really need the coconut aminos? Or will oil oil do? Sometimes an ingredient is essential to a recipe and sometimes its not
  • Frozen veggies!!!!! I buy a ton of bags when they go on sale
  • Keep it simple - while sometimes it is necessary to make a more extravagant meal to get out of a food rut, most of the time I try to stick to meals with basic ingredients that take less than a hour to cook. Most dinners are a form of baked/pan cooked protein with roasted veggies and an easy fat source (avocado slices, olive oil, mayo)

Hope this helps!

Hi crew - 

Emily from Alaska here. You're not alone in the stomach aches, and sleepiness. I slept a whopping 10 hours on Friday and nearly 12 hours on Saturday. And this morning, my tummy wasn't happy. But I have a strange feeling it's all, somehow, worth it? Every time I finish a meal, the physical (bloat, indigestion, an occasional need for more) and emotional tidal wave (guilt) doesn't hit. Instead, I feel proud for trying to do right by my body and my health. And that alone is a feeling worth fighting for. I'm pulling for all of you. You're doing great!

Some observations on Day 8 (my roommate and I are a day behind you guys)..

-Buy eggs in bulk

-Yes, you can survive a Game of Thrones viewing party by making your own baby back ribs. And BBQ sauce. Which tastes good on said eggs.

-Packing lunch saves $$$

-Sweet potatoes and yams are salvation. Nothing has given me the feeling of fullness quite like a roasted sweet potato with ghee. 

-Took my blender four tries to get the emulsification right, but homemade mayo is the bomb diggity. 

-Cooking our way through the Whole30 cookbook makes dinner exciting. We had a dinner party last night (sockeye salmon, veggies with roasted red pepper sauce) and it was a meal we all could feel good about, Whole30 or not. My friend Shelby brought some fiddleheads she'd picked during a walk. For dessert, we had fresh fruit and coconut cream whipped with chia seeds. 

Got a question.  Is there any alternative to coconut?  I don't eat or drink coconut. I see recipes require this.  And vinegar is very tough on my stomach. I love salads but don't want vinegar based dressings or ones that incorporate coconut.

Have you tried mayo based dressings? I don't have any recipes immediately at hand, but I bet if you do a forum or google search you will come across many.

Day 9 Check-in.  Hey fellow W30ers!  Today marked 9 days.  I can't tell you how much better I feel.  I've yet to have a headache thank goodness however today was the first day I experienced real hunger and that was between lunch and dinner.  My tummy is a little upset too but surely nothing I can't handle.  Although I'm an egg lover I have to say I'm getting a little tired of them.  I cooked some chicken chowder for breakfast for the next couple of days for a change up.  I'm not sleeping longer but per my fitibit I am definitely sleeping more sound.  I am typically restless 16-19 times per night and last night it was an astonishing 3 times!  So far, my hubby and I agree, Day 7 was our worse so far as far as cravings. 

That's my speil.  How are you all coming along?

• Moderators

There aren't a lot of coconut replacements but the whole world of mayo based sauces and dressings is your oyster... thousand island, ranch, caeser... would that work?

There aren't a lot of coconut replacements but the whole world of mayo based sauces and dressings is your oyster... thousand island, ranch, caeser... would that work?

Okay I made the Basic Mayo and I don't like it. I think I need to invest in some better Olive oil. I get a bitter taste too. Any suggestions? I made some ranch dressings with it but still has that slight bitter taste.  I think it is the Olive oil.  Maybe it's not real olive oil.  I just read this article about the mob having a choke-hold on the olive oil industry and mixing unsafe chemicals and/or cheaper oils with olive oil.  But of course the article followed with a company advertising that they had real olive oil and it cost $32.

Okay I made the Basic Mayo and I don't like it. I think I need to invest in some better Olive oil. I get a bitter taste too. Any suggestions? I made some ranch dressings with it but still has that slight bitter taste.  I think it is the Olive oil.  Maybe it's not real olive oil.  I just read this article about the mob having a choke-hold on the olive oil industry and mixing unsafe chemicals and/or cheaper oils with olive oil.  But of course the article followed with a company advertising that they had real olive oil and it cost $32.

Did you use extra light olive oil? It makes all the difference.

Oh em geeee I finally made mayo last night and man is it good! I dipped my homemade sweet potato 'chips' into it. I can see myself using this with a lot of things. 

Also, I never knew how much I enjoyed sweet potatoes.

Archived