Started Yesterday

Justdoit

Good Morning!

I started the W30 yesterday, October 1st. I am excited, but petrified. I have a lot of challenges facing me through this new venture. I have never followed Paleo, although I have done Atkins twice (once with great results, and one with poor.)

I happened on the Whole 30 program via Pinterest and after reading through all the fabulous material and posts here, it just made sense.

I was relieved to see that many people here face the same challenges that I expect, and I look forward to getting inspiration from you all as well support.

My biggest challenge will be alcohol. I enjoy (enjoyed:) some sort of alcohol with my husband on a daily basis. I have always used it as a wind down or stress reliever. Along with that challenge, my husband is not supportive. He mentioned that we were almost out of liquor, and I reminded him that I would not be drinking any. His comment, to my dismay, was "that won't last."

Yes, I have failed many diets, but I was hurt by the comment.

I am also scared because I have Diverticulosis. I am suppose to be eating high fiber and grains to prevent flare ups.

Lastly, I guess you could say I'm not doing a true W30. I smoke. Yes, I need and want to quite, but I feel I have enough challenges facing me right now and I want to set myself up for success vs failure.

Sorry for the lengthy introduction... I do look forward to succeeding with all your wonderful help!

Good morning and welcome. Sorry to be a buzz kill, but you're right that it wouldn't be a Whole 30 - you would need to quit smoking.

"Do not consume alcohol, in any form, not even for cooking. (And it should go without saying, but no tobacco products of any sort, either.)"

Given that all of that is a bit much to do at once, the recommendation I've seen is to quit smoking before doing a Whole 30.

• Moderators

I think following the eating guidelines of a Whole30 will get you into a better position for quitting smoking in the future. I say, Go for it!

Vegetables match and often exceed grains when it comes to fiber, so you are not increasing the risk of flare ups from diverticulitis by doing a Whole30.

You can do it!!

Alcohol was the one thing I struggled most with and I got similar comments from those close to me, but just show them!!!!

One thing that I wasn't prepared for when giving up the "wind down" glass or two of wine was anxiety. I had gotten so used to flipping the switch

Immediately to relax mode with that first sip that i was almost jumping out if my skin with all the energy and no wine. It may motivate you to revisit some hobbies! And it was less uncomfortable on days I lifted some weights. :)

My best friend has Crohns and her symptoms went away when she gave up grains. Don't be worried! I'm not a doctor, but just relating her experience, you may want to watch out and keep nut and seed consumption low.

Best of luck! Stick with it!

Thank you for your kind words and support. Perhaps after this W30 I will continue on with a W60 to include quitting smoking when I feel personally stronger. There is a lot going on in my life right now and this personal challenge is enough for me right now.

You eat an elephant one bite at a time. No, for the purist, you may not be doing a W30, but I know from experience that if I burden myself with too many changes at once, all I'm doing is setting myself up to fail. Dropping grains, dairy, and all the chemicals we normally consume is still a vast step in the right direction.

The alcohol thing was a problem to me the first time around. I, too, was used to the pre-dinner cocktail, or the wine with dinner habit. I also got resistance from those around me, as well as the same kind of disbelief. As a matter of fact, the longer I didn't drink, the angrier some people got. I had to decide this was their problem, not mine. I think some of them may have had a little voice in the back of their minds for years questioning their alcohol consumption, but as long as 'everybody' was doing it, well, then it was normal, wasn't it? My actions, in their mind, pointed a finger of guilt at them. It caused them to take a harder look at themselves.

We all know in our logical minds that daily alcohol consumption is not a healthy choice for most people, but any questionable behaviors we have are minimized by surrounding ourselves with people engaging in the same activity. The last of your friends to quit smoking has far more pressure on them to quit, whether anyone voices their disapproval or not, than the first 'rebel' who quit while everyone else still smoked.

I wish you good luck, and hope you find all the support you need on these forums. I did find when I gave up that after work drink that my house got a lot cleaner, that I had the time and energy to get to some of the little projects I kept telling myself I would get to some day. I no longer looked at them from the comfort of the recliner, feet up, drink in hand, and told myself tomorrow was soon enough, again. That, combined with all the extra energy I get from eating a healthy diet, gave me a lot more motivation for tackling those things.

It may not be easy with a spouse that isn't on board, but it's not impossible, either.

I know that Whole9 recommends quitting smoking before taking on a Whole30, but for my bf doing a Whole30 played a huge role in his quitting chewing tobacco. Something about committing to and successfully completing the Whole30 really helped change his mindset towards tobacco-- I think he saw that he could commit to something and do it, and he became much more health conscious as he saw the great changes that came from the Whole30!

You will do things in the order that is right for you.

As for alcohol, that was a biggie for me... but I feel so much better without it. Mornings are better, I'm generally more hydrated, I no longer use ibuprofen preventatively before going to bed... everything is better. I'm sorry your husband wasn't supportive, but do this for you. You deserve it!

Archived