Meal Prep/Cooking Time

aubreybrooke

So I'm on Day 5 and I am really struggling with the amount of time I'm spending on meal prep and cooking. I decided to follow the 7-day meal plan in the book and I feel like that was a bad call :( It keeps saying how quick and easy things are and I feel the total opposite (even at the end of the week it says you've learned how to prepare great healthy food without being chained to your kitchen and that's EXACTLY how I feel!). I'm spending 2-3 hours a day in the kitchen. I am used to cooking most days so it's not that. Last night as I was making the butternut squash soup, hardboiled eggs, and Greek salad after cooking the salmon and veggies for dinner earlier I started sobbing and said to my husband "why couldn't I just buy butternut squash soup??" I think a lot of that is my hormones out of whack for sure because I realized how ridiculous it was as I was doing it. It also probably doesn't help that I'm also doing a 2-a-day workout program right now but luckily that's over in a week.

But really - tips on making it easier? I've already bought everything to follow the plan in the book through Sunday, but after that...

• Moderators

I do something more like the weekly cookup method (here's an example of a one-week menu using it). Basically, you get as much done on the weekend as you can, and then you're doing minimal work the rest of the week.

It's also good to always cook extra, anytime you can. So, if you're grilling burgers for supper, grill more than what you need, or also throw some chicken on the grill to have for lunch the next day.

Another good idea is these no recipe required meals.

Somewhat unrelated, but are you including pre- and post-workout meals? Pre-workout, have some protein and fat (a hardboiled egg with a bit of mayo for instance), and post workout (as soon as you can after the workout) have lean protein and optionally some starchy vegetable (more on what to eat post-workout). 

I'm not currently eating 100% w30, but I've been known to make extras or use one thing multiple times (whether I cook all at once or a little bit every day)

Example - one day I may roast a chicken and a ton of veggies and then use the leftover veggies in a breakfast casserole and the chicken in a chicken & "rice" casserole (if I roasted broccoli I'll use leftovers here too. The rice is really cauliflower). In fact, my husband loves it when I do that because the leftover casserole becomes his lunch the next day or two. Sometimes I'll brown a bunch of ground beef and then season it when I reheat it for meals. Or just make a couple of extra portions of whatever I'm making for leftovers. It doesn't always take a lot of extra time for me to do this since I'm already cooking it for a meal anyway

I use my slow cooker a lot. A joint of meat put in in the morning cooks in its own juices in time for supper plus several other meals. I prepare veg fresh each day as I don't like to cut them up before using them. And my fridge isn't big enough to store the amount of stuff I see in the weekend preppers fridges. 

Hard boil eggs by the dozen. And you are not standing over the pan while that is happening. Pans of roasted veg likewise. In the oven and leave them. Do your work outs in between the buzzer and turning the veg or draining the eggs. 

Archived