My first W30,thinking of changing kids diets. Need ideas.

Bnscott13

I'm not going to make them go on the plan with me because they are 3 and 5 and some days I'd rather not fight about breakfast! They don't tend to eat eggs or veggies, (3yr old will eat some veggies mainly carrot sticks). They are pretty picky and closed off to new foods. I was thinking of replacing the sauces the year with the ones in the book. Ketchup, ranch and BBQ to be exact. They love BBQ chicken. I'm taking oldest off cows milk as well. (Probably all dairy for awhile) it seems to effect her sleep and mood. Youngest already drinks cashew milk. I just need some ideas for other things to feed them or things I can replace without them noticing to much? They tend to fight change.

Sneak in grated veggies in their food like meatballs or sauces. Or if they like spaghetti, try spaghetti squash or zoodles. She eats an egg for breakfast, but you can also do compliant sausages too or even leftovers.

My parenting method is i give them a little bit of everything I'm eating and that's their meal. If they don't like it, they don't have to eat it, but I try not to cater to their taste. The exceptions are for things that are too spicy I know they won't eat and it's difficult to make it mild. Then try something similar but not identical. I'm NOT saying this is how you should parent. Just how I do.

Another idea is to find recipes that are compliant to their favorite foods. The rules are a little more lax for kids since the emotional attachment to food isn't quite learned for them. So if they like chicken nuggets, find a way to make them compliant, if they really like French fries, try finding a way to roast them that makes them comparable to deep fried (I think Paleo Takeout has a version that's roasted/oven fried). Have them shop with you to find something new to try. (I seriously saw a mom at the store doing this with her preschooler. "I wanna try this!" Pointing to eggplant. She'd tried it before and didn't really like it but grabbed a small one anyway to try a different approach.)

I'm sure other parents have different recommendations. My 2.5 year old isn't particularly picky all the time, and if left to her own devices, will eventually eat most of what she's served (we don't make her clean her plate either) and I will give her some choices.

Archived