Combatting interrupted/ lack of sleep

One dilemma for me these days is sleep. One of my teenage sons has significant medical issues and physical disabilities. He was hospitalized for about 8 months until mid last year and has been recuperating ever since. He's doing quite well considering but needs various kinds of care from me during every night. This means I am up at least once every night and most often 2-4 times and this is unavoidable at this time. Trying to find out if there are other things I can do to help combat the effects on my body from interrupted or lack of sleep. Suggestions are very welcome. Thanks!

• Moderators

There are no replacements for sleep that I am sure of. Yogis sometimes claim that advanced practitioners need little sleep, but I have never been more than a beginner and cannot vouch for the claim.

You might be careful to protect time for sleep when you can. For example, in your case, sleep would support your health more than exercise. So when you have a choice between sleep and exercise, take a nap. 

• 3 weeks later...

Can you find someone--either a professional care-giver or a friend or family member--who can take care of your son so that you can have the occasional night of uninterrupted sleep? Caregiving is exhausting, and your son needs you to take care of yourself so that you can be there for him. I feel for you!

Archived