Butternut Squash Soup

nutmegananne

On another thread someone was talking about how they make a good soup with butternut squash and chicken broth, so I decided to give it a try. I already had an excellent recipe for winter squash soup from a local restaurant, but it has honey, cream, and butter in it. So I decided to alter the recipe to fit Whole30, and I'm really pleased about how it came out! The technique takes a little time, but I think it's worth it. :)

Basically, the key is roasting the squash ahead of time rather than boiling it. This gives it really great flavor. I split a butternut lengthwise, scooped out the seeds, and rubbed the top of each side with melted ghee. I also put a sprig of fresh sage in each cavity (I have used dried sage in the past and it works, too). Roast, covered, at 400 degrees for about 1 hour, or until the squash is nice and soft. Let cool while you do the rest.

I browned a couple of cloves of garlic and about 2 tsp fresh grated ginger in some ghee (a bit of chopped onion would be nice at this stage, too...I have to leave out due to my husband's digestive issues). When that's done, add the pulp from the squash, along with chicken stock (I had homemade) to make a nice soup consistency. The amount of stock will depend on how much squash pulp you have...I think I probably added around 3 cups for a medium squash. Then I pureed with a stick blender. I let it simmer for at least 10 or 15 minutes on very low, uncovered, until is was nicely heated through. Salt and peppered to taste at the end. SO good. Great way to welcome October. I'm having the leftovers at breakfast this morning!!

Archived