Whole 30 with kids - May 1st!

zebaby

Anyone else doing W30 with their kids? 

We are starting our program as a family on May 1st (I've completed one round back in Jan; DS did a sugar/gluten free challenge the same week I started W30, and did great; First time for DH but he is ready, suffers from gout occasionally).

My main fear is ensuring success for my 9 year old son. He has mild gluten allergies, sensitivity to dairy, and craves sweets, also is overweight and has low energy. He's got a good appetite, likes to try new foods and eats a good variety, but I know he's dependent on certain non-compliant foods, so 30 days seems very daunting for him right now. I've got quite a bit of reading to do, but I'm trying to find strategies to use, with him particularly, to get him to do the program for as long as we can.

DH has suffered from gout periodically, sometimes severely, and is overweight. His diet relies mainly on grains & legumes, but he has been mostly vegan for about a year and a half, so eating more veggies won't be too hard for him. He likes meat but was advised to avoid it due to his gout, so we'll see how the W30 way of eating sits with his body. 

I've had great success with my experience - lost over 15 lbs and continue to lose and managed to pinpoint troubling foods in my diet. I do feel myself slipping a bit, but I'm motivated to start again mostly to motivate my family. 

Hope to hear from others looking to redirect their kids' eating habits towards a more healthful, conscious way of life!

My main fear is ensuring success for my 9 year old son. He has mild gluten allergies, sensitivity to dairy, and craves sweets, also is overweight and has low energy. He's got a good appetite, likes to try new foods and eats a good variety, but I know he's dependent on certain non-compliant foods, so 30 days seems very daunting for him right now. I've got quite a bit of reading to do, but I'm trying to find strategies to use, with him particularly, to get him to do the program for as long as we can.

Hey there & welcome to Whole30  :) 

Remember that SWYPO foods are okay for kids so if you think adding in some egg/banana pancakes, or the odd paleo pizza might help your son make it through the 30 days then that's okay. For his sugar cravings try & limit his fruit intake and make sure he is getting adequate fat - this will really help with the process - things like olives (if he likes them, I know a lot of kids don't), or celery & nut butter as a part of his meal would work well.

For now just take it one meal at a time, one day at a time - and as he sees progress himself (in his mood, energy & symptoms) he'll be more motivated to continue.....

Hope this helps.

Archived