Yuca aka Cassava

Andry

Yep. Yucca is a good starch. I've never made any I really liked, but I'm sure it is possible.

Thanks Tom for your response. Have you tried it how Cubans eat it? Boil it till very tender (much like boiling potatoes for mashed potatoes) and drain it. In a small pan heat up some olive oil, add onion (julianned or cut in rings), chopped garlic, and a source of citrus to taste (usually sour orange, but limes work really well and are easier to find)... salt and pepper optional and to taste. After draining the yuca you pour the mixture onto it and dig in.

This is often served with roasted pork shoulder that was marinated and cooked with the same flavors (garlic, onions, olive oil, and sour orange or lime).

Soooo good! Hope you like it if you try it :)

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Cassava/Yucas are readily available where I live (Brazil). 

If I do start eating them, in my point of view  is like eating white potatoes, in my conception.  Why white potatoes are not alowed and Cassava is? If it is fried, it is food with no brakes just like potatoes. Or try it with cooked with clarified butter. You end up eating the whole thing if you don't control yourself well. 

Forgive me if this is a dumb question. 

And tapioca is made of cassava. I don't want to use it as paleo dessert. But the tapioca flour ( or tapioca starch, I am not sure if the translation is right) is really common around here to make pancakes. They are gluten free and highly digestible. 

They are the perfect match for my eggs in the morning! I hope they are compliant, but I will still avoid fried yuca in my WHOLE30.

Cassava/Yucas are readily available where I live (Brazil).

If I do start eating them, in my point of view is like eating white potatoes, in my conception. Why white potatoes are not alowed and Cassava is? If it is fried, it is food with no brakes just like potatoes. Or try it with cooked with clarified butter. You end up eating the whole thing if you don't control yourself well.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question.

And tapioca is made of cassava. I don't want to use it as paleo dessert. But the tapioca flour ( or tapioca starch, I am not sure if the translation is right) is really common around here to make pancakes. They are gluten free and highly digestible.

They are the perfect match for my eggs in the morning! I hope they are compliant, but I will still avoid fried yuca in my WHOLE30.

I think the pancakes would be less compliant than the vegetable! Using the flour to thicken sauces is ok, but not to create paleofied versions of standard food like pancakes. I think if culturally the vegetable is used like white potatoes and could be a food without brakes for you, it's best to avoid it too, especially if you have access to other options!

Archived