Michele's Whole 30 Round 2

Michele West

Day 1!

This will be my 2nd whole 30. I completed my first in November of 2015. I had made two previous attempts one in 2013 and one in 2014. I made it until around day 20 or 21 before I went off plan. I made it through around day 20 again in January of this year...I hung on for quite a bit before I went off plan. I came down with a really bad cold and just didn't have it in me to finish. I have, however, stayed about 80/20 paleo/whole 30 compliant since then. I decided to tackle another round as a reset before summer hits. My husband is doing it with me and I'm a little worried that it's going to be tougher. He was deployed when I did my full whole round last year. It was easier only having to worry about feeding myself and my 7 year old. Thankfully, he does like to eat healthy and will eat whatever I put ahead of him.

I can't wait to feel the way I did at the end of my first round! The clear skin, zero heartburn and great sleep will be back in a few short weeks!

M1 - red bell pepper, zucchini & chicken sausage hash sauteed in ghee with one fried egg, a small handful of raspberries & iced coffee with unsweetened vanilla almond milk

M2 - tuna with homemade mayo on a veggie packed salad with tessemae's dressing

M3 - something with chicken thighs! I need to look through my recipes......

Day 2!

Day 1 went as I expected it to.....the meals I planned were satisfying and my cravings were slim to none. Although a cold glass of wine did sound great at around 5:30 pm;) I tend to want a glass of wine anywhere between 4-6. Once that time passes I don't even think about it, but it's early days and each one can bring on something different!

M1 - bell pepper, mushroom, onion, chicken sausage hash sauteed in ghee with two fried eggs, raspberries & iced coffee with almond milk

Post WO - a bit of leftover tuna from yesterday's lunch

M2 - dinner leftovers! braised chicken thighs with carrots, potatoes & thyme with a salad

M3 - grilled greek style chicken, grilled veggies & roast sweet potatoes

Day 3!

Sleep was just so-so last night....this is typical for me during the first couple of weeks. I fall asleep early and easily, but then I wake up around 3:30 or 4. I stayed in bed until the alarm went off at 5:30 and got up energized. I will need a nap later though, especially after Body Pump this morning! I felt a bit more snacky yesterday afternoon and I attribute that to not enough protein at lunch. Something that's been a problem the past three days is that I'm not eating within an hour of waking. I'm so busy getting my daughter and husband fed and out the door that I don't sit down until they've left.....I'll have to work on that.

Today's meals:

M1 - two applegate farm hot dogs with dijon mustard, sauteed green beans, brussels sprouts, peppers, mushrooms & onions with iced coffee

Post W/O - sweet potatoes & chicken breast

M2 - chicken salad with homemade mayo, red onion & celery on a veggie packed salad with red wine vinegar/evoo

M3 - either leftovers from last night or taco's! (minus the typical corn tortillas)

Day 4!

I had a better night's sleep last night. I did wake up a few times, but was able to fall back asleep rather quickly. I did have a slight headache upon waking and didn't feel quite as energized this morning, but the headache went away after drinking some water and eating breakfast. I decided to skip my super early spin class in favor of taking care of household tasks this morning. My body needs rest and I'm trying to listen to what it needs instead of focusing on exercise, exercise, exercise and then beating myself up if I decide to skip it.

Meals are:

M1 - roasted vegetable, chicken sausage hash sauteed in ghee with 1 fried egg & coffee with coconut milk

M2 - leftover chicken salad on a large vegetable filled salad with red wine vinegar/evoo & green iced tea

M3 - turkey burgers with roasted potatoes & green beans

Day 5!

Sleep was the same......I think it would have been better except for the thunderstorm that rolled through around midnight. I did make it through the day without needing the nap that I thought I would, so that's a small victory! I'm starting to notice less bloating and my skin is starting to clear back up, thank goodness! The dairy/gluten that I've been indulging in was not being so kind to me :P I didn't need a mini meal between lunch and dinner last night which was another win! I'm off to Body Pump today and I may even get some cardio in first. I do feel a little extra energy this morning which is great!

Meals are:

M1 - two fried eggs with vegetable & sausage hash sauteed in ghee; coffee with coconut milk (I couldn't finish this AM. I woke hungry, but when I sat down it just wasn't all that appetizing).

Pre WO - spoonful of almond butter

Post WO - chicken breast

M2 - chicken salad with mayo, red onion & celery, on a large green salad with red wine vinegar/evoo

M3 - leftover turkey burgers on a bed of spinach with a basil/tomato salad, avocado & sauteed balsamic onions! ()Yum! This was so good last night! I'll also throw in some brussels sprouts & tiny roast potatoes).

Day 6! Almost one week down! It's flying by and maybe having my husband joining me is helping?! Still not sure;)

Today we're off to the Cherry Point Air Show. It will be the first time being out and about and having temptations. I'm bringing water and snacks as we won't be able to have a proper meal before we head out aside from breakfast. 

Meal are:

M1 - two egg omelet with lots of veg, bacon, avocado, tomato & basil; small serving of blackberries/strawberries; iced coffee with almond milk

M2 - will be out and about...i'll pack an RX bar and some nuts???

M3 - something with flank steak

Day 7! Woop Woop!

Amazing sleep last night! I slept a total of 10 hours! I did have strange/vivid dreams, NOT food related....yet :P

My husband and I managed to avoid the various food/alcohol stands during our outing yesterday. We stayed strong with our RX bars, but by the time we got home we were ravenous! I threw down a few bites of chicken salad and jumped in to dinner prep. Thankfully, dinner was delicious! I made this:http://www.skinnytaste.com/grilled-flank-steak-with-chimichurri/and served it with roast sweet potatoes, green salad and watermelon. So tasty! I think having him join me is helping at this point. He was able to convince me that we didn't need to hit our local Mexican restaurant on our way home not only because resisting a margarita would be next to impossible, but that we aren't eating out this month. We made this decision as a way to save $ to put toward our family vacation this summer and doing Whole 30 does make that easier. I've managed to eat out during previous Whole 30's, but honestly I find it to be sort of a pain unless I just hit Chipotle.

Happy Sunday and Day 7!

Meals are:

M1 - leftover turkey burger topped with avocado & a fried egg; green beans & brussels sprouts; coffee with coconut milk

M2 - chicken salad with mayo on top of a veggie salad with red wine vinegar/evoo

M3 - either leftover steak from last night or chili if I can get it in the crock pot early enough

Day 8! Week 1 is done! 

Dare I say that the first 7 days flew by?!?!  It's shaping up to be a busy week which is a great thing, keeps time moving and I'm less likely to give in to cravings than if I have too much time on my hands. 

Meals are:

M1 - two fried eggs on veggie/chicken sausage hash; strawberries; coffee with coconut milk

M2- tuna with homemade mayo on a veggie filled salad with avocado; red wine vinegar/evoo

M3 - leftovers.....either citrus carnitas or flank steak

Day 9!

Another solid night of sleep! I woke up about 15 minutes before my alarm went off. I haven't slept straight through like that in quite awhile. Feels good!

Meals are:

M1 - veggie/chicken sausage hash sauteed in ghee with one fried egg; strawberries; iced coffee with almond milk

M2 - tuna with homemade mayo; veggie filled salad with red wine vinegar/evoo

M3 - roast chicken; sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts & green beans

Day 10! 1/4 of the way done!

The days are starting to run together which is a great thing! It seems the more Whole 30's I do and if I stay on track (for the most part) in between rounds, the easier it gets!

Last night while loading the dishwasher, I had extreme lower back pain. I believe it was a pinched sciatic nerve? It faded overnight, but it made for a restless night's sleep. I still went to Body Pump this morning and now I'm feeling a bit worn out. I was on my feet for awhile after getting home from the gym and I think I need to take it easy for the rest of the day. If only the grocery store fairy would show up, all would be good ;)

Meals are:

M1 - THIS! So good and easy! http://inspiralized.com/2016/05/03/open-faced-summer-bruschetta-omelet-with-spiralized-zucchini/Next time I'll top it with some avocado too!

M2 - leftover roast chicken breast, sweet potatoes and this! Another keeper! http://thehealthyfoodie.com/broccoli-apple-and-almond-salad/ I left the honey out of the dressing.

M3 - crock pot chili over zucchini noodles topped with avocado

Day 11!

I fought some hard cravings yesterday afternoon/evening. I kept trying to justify to myself that one drink or piece of my daughter's Easter candy would be fine and I'd just jump right back into things. I then reminded myself why I'm doing another round and that I would also be very disappointed in myself if I "cheat" when I'm almost 1/2 way done. It's only 30 days darn it! 

Meals are:

Pre wo - rx bar

M1 - same as yesterday, but topped with avocado and crumbled bacon; iced coffee with almond milk

Snack - forgot that I already ate an rx bar; ate another one! It occurred to me after I finished that I'd already had one today. That's what happens when you are eating at 5 am before Spin.....I honestly don't even think I was hungry....I was volunterring at my daughter's school and another Mom started to snack on mini pb cups & kit kats, the rx bar satisfied the craving for candy....definitely learned that I need to pay attention to actual hunger cues

M2 - tuna with homemade mayo on a large salad with red wine vinegar/evoo

M3 - leftover chili with zucchini noodles & avocado

Archived