Volleyball Tournament

SandyD.8

I need help...

This past weekend my daughter (14 years old) had an all day volleyball tournament.  It was tough because that week was our first week of round 1!  With the fatigue that's already involved with week 1 she played intensively from 8am-4pm (a few short breaks scattered in between matches.)  By the time we got down to the last two matches of the day she was visibly sapped of all energy.  Ordinarily, she's pretty tired after a tourney but this time it was a LOT worse. She has never EVER been this exhausted after a tourney and it wasn't like it was an abnormally hard competition. (See pic of my daughter on the way home from the matches) I know it's because of the food I supplied and I don't want to make the same mistake this coming weekend.  Please take a look at what I packed for her snacks and lunch and let me know if there is something else I can add or omit.  I don't want to make the same mistakes I made this past weekend so please help.  Thank you

Lunch

Protein Salad (W30 recipe book chicken version)

sliced cucumbers

Snacks

Roasted chicken

Epic Meat stick (Will not buy again...didn't care for the texture)

Lara Bar (Apple Pie)

Strawberries

Banana

Grapes

Beverage

Just water 

post-92777-0-14152100-1461600971_thumb.j

I might be able to help, I do lots of all day endurance events. Volleyball takes more mental zip than long runs I'll try to keep that in mind. But I have some questions first. And I'm making some assumptions, correct me where I'm wrong if I am. 

First off, your daughter is doing a Whole30? Or just following your Whole30? How far into the 30 days? 

I don't know what's in the protein salad? I don't have that book. What are ingredients?

I'm going to assume greens in the salad? If so, greens and cucumbers are what I'd call NON energy foods. No bang for the buck in those, just bulk. And super hard to digest while being active. Chicken sounds good though. 

Lara bar, and grapes are higher in fructose than glucose, glucose would be better for muscle and brain energy. The strawberries and bananas seem to work for me, although strawberries again are really a non-energy food to me. 

What about starchy foods like white or sweet potatoes? 

What did she eat previous to Whole30 for volleyball?

And consider too that this tournament is probably more important than the Whole30 right now for her? Meaning that if you/she had to pick between priorities, which is higher? Personally I don't do Whole30 challenges when preparing for any of my events, it's too much change and adaptation and either the Whole30 or the event suffers for it. 

• Moderators

In addition to what LucieB said, be sure she's salting her food, and you could even let her have something like coconut water during the day between matches -- water alone may not be enough to replace what she's losing just through sweat, salt on her food throughout the day will help (not so much it doesn't taste good, but don't forget to add some), and some people who do longer runs or more strenuous exercise find the coconut water helps with that too.

Also keep in mind that it takes most people at least a week and sometimes a little more before they are really fat-adapted, and until they hit that point, most people find that their workouts suffer -- runners mention their legs feeling heavier and their times being slower as well as just not being able to run for as long a period of time, for instance. The weekend of week one is probably going to be the toughest weekend, hopefully it will start to get better for her over this week.

In addition to what LucieB said, be sure she's salting her food, and you could even let her have something like coconut water during the day between matches -- water alone may not be enough to replace what she's losing just through sweat, salt on her food throughout the day will help (not so much it doesn't taste good, but don't forget to add some), and some people who do longer runs or more strenuous exercise find the coconut water helps with that too.

Also keep in mind that it takes most people at least a week and sometimes a little more before they are really fat-adapted, and until they hit that point, most people find that their workouts suffer -- runners mention their legs feeling heavier and their times being slower as well as just not being able to run for as long a period of time, for instance. The weekend of week one is probably going to be the toughest weekend, hopefully it will start to get better for her over this week.

Thank you ShannonM816, I'm going to pick up some coconut water tomorrow when we head to the store.  I'll keep in mind the salt too ;-)

I might be able to help, I do lots of all day endurance events. Volleyball takes more mental zip than long runs I'll try to keep that in mind. But I have some questions first. And I'm making some assumptions, correct me where I'm wrong if I am. 

First off, your daughter is doing a Whole30? Or just following your Whole30? How far into the 30 days? 

I don't know what's in the protein salad? I don't have that book. What are ingredients?

I'm going to assume greens in the salad? If so, greens and cucumbers are what I'd call NON energy foods. No bang for the buck in those, just bulk. And super hard to digest while being active. Chicken sounds good though. 

Lara bar, and grapes are higher in fructose than glucose, glucose would be better for muscle and brain energy. The strawberries and bananas seem to work for me, although strawberries again are really a non-energy food to me. 

What about starchy foods like white or sweet potatoes? 

What did she eat previous to Whole30 for volleyball?

And consider too that this tournament is probably more important than the Whole30 right now for her? Meaning that if you/she had to pick between priorities, which is higher? Personally I don't do Whole30 challenges when preparing for any of my events, it's too much change and adaptation and either the Whole30 or the event suffers for it. 

Hi LucieB :-) 

Sorry for the delay to reply.  These past 11 days have been tough on me with energy and I haven't had much time for computer stuff.  To answer some of your questions: 

• My daughter is actually doing the Whole30.  I told her she was going to do it and, thankfully, she's been sticking with the plan.  Last weekend was the end of her 1st week and by the time we get to this Saturday's tourney she'll be on Day 13.  This weekend is her last tourney of the season.

• Protein Salad ingredients: Chicken, homemade mayo (Olive oil, egg, mustard powder, salt, lemon) lemon juice, salt, pepper, herbs.

• Greens:  I had no idea about that, but it makes sense that they'd be harder to digest...What about Spinach that is juiced?  Would that be easier to digest or should she just stay away from greens entirely on tourney day???

• Fruits:  I'm going to research the difference between fructose and glucose since I don't have a clue.  

• Previous Tourney food before W30: Protein bars, Gatorade, fruits, green salads with meat, meat wrapped in tortillas, unbuttered popcorn, and Starbucks on the way home :-(   

Thank you for taking the time to help!!

Archived