Day 1 May 1

rissal8401

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Newbies! 

I'm also starting May 1st. 

I'm very excited but also a little...anxious. 

Going to have a few "favourites" over the next couple days that are non compliant (sushi, pizza, wine, etc)

Also slowly doing some prep work - mason Jars, oils, then a Farmers Market Saturday and a cooking frenzy Sunday!

Great luck to us all!!

I know I shouldn't do this, but I'm getting my "last licks" in. Had a chocolate cupcake yesterday! And I have a baby shower that I am hosting tomorrow. Going to try to be better today. Went grocery shopping yesterday and even bought a spiralizer for zucchini!

I am starting May 1 as well. I planned my meals (loosely anyway) and created a grocery list this morning. Tomorrow I will go the Farmer's Market and then finalize my weekly meal plan depending on what I can find there. I am ready to get started - just got back from a wonderful (and food filled) vacation in Italy and am seriously sick of rich food so a good time to jump on the W30 wagon! This is my 2nd go at Whole 30 (did not complete the first time) and I am determined to finish 30 days!!

I'm starting May first, too. May Day, May Day!!! LOL.

I've been doing a lot of research and planning the past couple days. Bought a spiralizer. Stalked up on milk alternatives - unsweetened coconut and almond milks, veggies and eggs. Lots of protein - meat, chicken, and fish in the freezer. Have coconut oil, olive oil, and nuts, almond butter and seeds in the pantry.

I'm blending the suggestions here with The Blood Sugar Solution which is quite similar. My goal is to eat healthier, eliminate sweets, stop daily evening wine with dinner, chip addiction, and eliminate other unhealthy carbs. I'm hoping to reduce inflammation, have more energy, and sleep better.

Wishing us all the best!

• Moderators

What are the suggestions from Blood Sugar Solution that you are blending? We don't generally recommend that people layer other eating plans over the Whole30, so depending on what recommendations of that eating plan you're following, it could be contradictory... I'm not familiar with that plan tho...

I am going to start my second whole 30 on May 1st as well.  I just re-printed out the meal template to remind myself of amounts.  I think since finishing my first whole 30 in October I've been a little too enthusiastic about healthy fats.  :unsure: Oh, and that sugar dragon....

My 46th birthday is on June 6th, so I'm hoping to celebrate this one feeling my best.  There's something about birthdays as I've hit middle age that motivate me to make positive changes.

Good luck everyone!

I'm starting my second round on May 1 also.  My first round was through the month of March and I spent April being very deliberate with reintroductions.  If it will help give you all some motivation, here's what my experience was like:

Pre-Whole 30:

Daily:  heartburn, bloating, aches, abdominal pain, constipation, stiff joints, headaches (multiple times per week for 30+ years), weight 166 (5'5" tall, so 15+ lbs over maximum recommended for my height), 3pm slump, tinnitis

Post-Whole 30: 

ALL above symptoms 100% eliminated!  Weight at end of W30 was 153, and now after a month of reintroes and eating mainly W30, is down to 146 (within recommended guidelines!  Total of 20 lbs in 2 months!  Hooray!).  In addition, my moods and energy levels are consistent and good throughout the day.  Every. day. 

Reintroductions:

Because it was very clear that food was the cause of my previous digestive issues, I broke the reintro's apart into more detail than what is given in the book:  sugar, corn, rice, oats, wheat, dairy, peas, beans, soy (not in that particular order).  I learned that corn, soy, and peas don't seem to bother me.  Diary had mixed results with heartburn and a bubbly gut the first day I tried it, but no issues later in the month when giving it a second try.  Rice gives me a bubbly gut.  Sugar is tolerable in small amounts and with days off in between.  Three days in a row and I end up moody and with a vicious headache.  I decided to wait on oats and beans until after round 2.  Wheat was my biggest eye-opener:  nausea, indigestion, aches, pain, metallic taste in mouth, fatigue, piercing headache like a vice ringed around my head - it was a terrible reaction and knocked me down for 3 days.  I'll be getting tested this week for gluten sensitivity and later for wheat allergy and celiac if necessary in order to get a proper diagnosis.  I'll be honest, I found the reintro month to be more difficult than the actual W30 because the rules aren't black & white anymore and there was wiggle room for eating non-compliant.  There was also the tendency to almost over-analyze and then second-guess myself and that got frustrating.

W30 Round 2:

I'm choosing to start round 2 this soon after round 1 for several reasons.  First, I'll be traveling next month and want to put my immune system in the best condition possible in preparation for that.  Second, I am mentally struggling with my new wheat restriction.  My kids have life-threatening allergies to dairy, egg, sesame, peanut, and tree nuts, and I'm anaphylactic to watermelon.  Throwing in another major food to our avoidance list has been overwhelming to wrap my brain around and is another hurdle of stress to ride out in our roller coaster of food allergies.   Finally, there are still some basic W30 goals I'd like to make progress in, namely, meal planning, long-term goals, and eliminate focusing on my weight as a priority.  I jumped right back into weighing myself twice daily and want to break that habit for good.   

I'm sorry this is the length of a novel but do hope it will help those of you who are nervous, anxious, or wondering if results can really happen.  I was skeptical when I began because W30 felt like a trendy thing to do and I'm just not a trendy type of person.  But I'd been feeling so lousy for such a long time, I knew that even if it didn't fix my symptoms, at least I'd have a good 30 days of great nutrition under my belt.  Now I feel like a walking poster child and am a complete convert.  The 30 days will go by quickly and you have support here, so don't be afraid.  Be confident!  You're doing a great thing for your health!

I'm starting my first Whole30 on May 1.  I have been a life-long veggie avoider- which largely stems from my oral allergies/sensitivity to many fruits/veggies raw since childhood. And because of this I've never really learned to like (or even try) some veggies/fruits. I just had some food allergy testing done last week (not exhaustive) and learned I need to strictly avoid carrots and celery in their raw forms. I'm hopeful that I'll be permitted to eat them cooked though- still waiting to hear back from the allergist.

One of the main reasons I am trying Whole30 is to force myself to try new foods and to expand on my meager list of veggies that I like. 

Today I tried a plain avocado at a friends house this morning and within a few minutes I noticed that my mouth/throat was itchy. This makes me sad- and nervous about how I'm going to get the 1-2 serving of fats in each meal. Unfortunately I don't like olives and the idea of drizzling oil over my food weirds me out a little. I'll try it, but still weirds me out. And I am NOT afraid of fats... just trying to figure out how to incorporate them naturally into my meals. How are you all planning to get your fats into each meal? 

• Moderators

I'm starting my first Whole30 on May 1.  I have been a life-long veggie avoider- which largely stems from my oral allergies/sensitivity to many fruits/veggies raw since childhood. And because of this I've never really learned to like (or even try) some veggies/fruits. I just had some food allergy testing done last week (not exhaustive) and learned I need to strictly avoid carrots and celery in their raw forms. I'm hopeful that I'll be permitted to eat them cooked though- still waiting to hear back from the allergist.

One of the main reasons I am trying Whole30 is to force myself to try new foods and to expand on my meager list of veggies that I like. 

Today I tried a plain avocado at a friends house this morning and within a few minutes I noticed that my mouth/throat was itchy. This makes me sad- and nervous about how I'm going to get the 1-2 serving of fats in each meal. Unfortunately I don't like olives and the idea of drizzling oil over my food weirds me out a little. I'll try it, but still weirds me out. And I am NOT afraid of fats... just trying to figure out how to incorporate them naturally into my meals. How are you all planning to get your fats into each meal? 

If you reacted to avocado, you might also react to banana and some other foods -- it's somehow related to latex allergy as well. Here's a list of things you might possibly react to, obviously there's no guarantee you will, but pay attention if you do try any of the high to moderate risk foods.

I'd also say not to completely rule out olives just yet. I didn't think I liked them, but there is one variety that I do like -- castelvetrano. You might just not have tried a variety you like yet. I also find that I'm okay with kalamatas if they're chopped up in foods with lots of other stuff to help dilute the flavor a bit.

But, even if you don't like any olives at all, you can still find fats to add to your meal. You can start by choosing fattier cuts of meat (salmon over white fish, skin-on chicken thighs over skinless chicken breasts) -- this is probably not enough fat on its own, but will help up the fat some.

You can also make sauces and dips. Mayo is great for dipping foods in -- if you don't like it plain, you can add herbs or garlic or hot sauce or even mustard to it to change the flavor up. Things like chimichurri, morroccan dipping sauce, or pesto are great drizzled over vegetables or meat, and they're not quite just pouring oil on your food. There's all kinds of other sauces and dips too, here's a few, and a few more. Or google Whole30 + your favorite sauce and see what kinds of recipes are out there.

You can make curries or soups or other dishes with coconut milk, or top vegetables with toasted coconut flakes.

If you can find compliant bacon, it's also a fat source -- not necessarily one you want all the time, but it's a nice change to have sometimes. Nuts and seeds are also fat sources, but they should be used sparingly.

• Moderators

Hey guys... bear in mind with Facebook groups that there are no official Whole30 moderators or admins on Facebook so sometimes it can be a bit like the Wild West... it's definitely a great place to connect but just remember that sometimes it gets into pretty SWYPO territory and a lot of 'who cares what you ate, just keep going' talk... not saying yours will be but something to keep in mind :)

I don't like olives either and we have a nut-free house, so those are out for me too.  I can eat avocado, but don't like it unless it's mixed with something else like tuna.  So I end up getting most of my fat from putting coconut milk in my coffee or tea.  If I have fresh berries, I'll put coconut milk on those.   Sunbutter is also good or other nut butters if you can have those, just be sure to read the labels to avoid those with added sugar. 

I don't like olives either and we have a nut-free house, so those are out for me too.  I can eat avocado, but don't like it unless it's mixed with something else like tuna.  So I end up getting most of my fat from putting coconut milk in my coffee or tea.  If I have fresh berries, I'll put coconut milk on those.   Sunbutter is also good or other nut butters if you can have those, just be sure to read the labels to avoid those with added sugar. 

Sunflower seed butter is a life saver! I also cannot eat avocado, and got thoroughly sick of coconut milk on my 1st whole 30. Sunflower butter was the best - and it is less expensive than nut butters too.

My husband and I start tomorrow as well. He went grocery shopping today and HOLY CRAP. We spent about $125 more than usual and are feeling entirely overwhelmed by all the prep work needed. Specifically for the b'fasts and lunches (neither of us can really cook much for those two meals). I'm glad to hear others are feeling anxious and nervous. We were already wondering if we can do it simply based on the planning and prep and haven't even started it fully yet! :/

Archived