Bacon vs Tofu

Stacie64

I will be starting, but first shopping and planning.

The only thing I'm a little put off by is that bacon is deemed ok, even though it's a processed meat with high sodium, saturated fat, sulphites and nitrates, yet tofu - which is low calorie, gluten and cholesterol free, with calcium, iron and protein is not tried and true...

I don't eat land animals as it is, so I'm a bit limited on the recipes section.

Anyone have the same possible hurdles?

For what it's worth, bacon with sulphites and nitrates (also sugar) is not allowed on Whole30. (Good luck finding any of that.  :rolleyes: )

Here's what the W30 creators have to say about bacon and soy:

Bacon Manifesto (they actually DON'T recommend eating tons and tons of bacon - It's my understanding it's best used as an accent, a condiment)

Legume Manifesto (see paragraph that specifies issues with soy)

You may want to check out the Whole30 for Vegetarians forum... there are probably other pescatarians doing the program as well :)

Nitrites/nitrates are ok in bacon on Whole30: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/21686-bacon-with-nitrates/

Whoa, when did they change their minds about that? I missed the memo :)

Now if they'd just allow added sugar so I can enjoy the pastured bacon from my local farmer... (State ag laws require them to use a specific recipe,  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: )

• Moderators

Whoa, when did they change their minds about that? I missed the memo :)

Now if they'd just allow added sugar so I can enjoy the pastured bacon from my local farmer... (State ag laws require them to use a specific recipe,  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: )

It's always been allowed... it's sulphites (and anything that ends in 'phite') that are not allowed and have never been allowed.

Of course it IS better to not eat either of them but in a pinch if your item has nitrites/nitrates, you're good to go.

Archived