Dayleen's Breastfeeding Whole30 Log

dayleenyoerger

I am hoping that by keeping a Whole30 log here, I can help hold myself accountable to the program!

I decided to start my Whole30 once my sweet daughter turned three months. Clean eating and fitness have always been a passion of mine, and with a minor in nutrition and as a Family and Consumer Science teacher who teaches students about nutrition, I knew how to take care of my body. However, once I became pregnant in May, all things changed. Once my four month long battle over some pretty intense (aka all day/night nausea and constant vomiting!) was over, all eating bets were off. I ate whatever I could keep down (McDonald's milkshakes anyone?!) and didn't care about the nutritional content of it. 

I knew that pregnancy is not "eating for two" and I swore I would never get out of control and that I would continue to run, even having plans to run my 5th half marathon while pregnant. But lost so much fitness during the first four months when I was so sick and I gave in to every single craving my sugar dragon through at me. I started my pregnancy about 15 pounds heavier than my normal weight, so my goal was to stay under a certain weight range during my pregnancy. 

Instead of staying within that recommended range, I ate and ate until by the end of my pregnancy, I had gained a whopping total of 54 pounds! During Christmas, we had some informal family pictures taken and once I saw myself, I cried and cried. I hated how I looked and hated how I felt. My self esteem plummeted. I stopped taking pictures of my pregnant belly because I hated how I looked. I was embarrassed to even go anywhere!

Fast forward to the birth of my daughter (a SUPER quick, totally natural, non-medicated, and intervention free labor and delivery!!) and my self esteem was so bad that I felt like a stranger in my own body. I avoided pictures being taken of me because of how much self-hate I was experiencing. Even now, with my DD 3 months old, we do not have many pictures together at all. And this breaks my heart! As a mother to this sweet girl, I want to promote body-positive self talk and to model healthy eating a lifestyle choices!

So, here we are, my Whole30 journey, with the added challenge (but a sweet one at that) of exclusively breastfeeding my daughter. I'm on a mission to gain control over my eating habits, say goodbye to that annoying sugar dragon, love my body for how it feels and what it can do, and to regain my fitness. Dropping a few pounds would be just the cherry on top!

Please feel free to follow along and hopefully you'll find some encouragement or recipe ideas along the way! 

Love, Dayleen 

DAY 1

Breakfast: 

-Frittata made with 2 eggs, 3 egg whites (leftovers), onions, brussel sprouts, peppers, and coconut oil

-1/2 avocado

-apple

-black coffee

Lunch:

-Salmon, 1/2 avocado, lime juice mixed together and wrapped with lettuce in a nori wrap

-carrot sticks

-2 slices cantalope

Pre WO: 1/4 chicken breast and 5 black olives

Post WO: 1/2 chicken breast and 1/2 cup canned pumpkin

Workout: T25 Cardio and an hour walk in the evening

Dinner:

-Venison Steaks

-Green Beans

-Potato Slices cooked in Ghee

Mini Dinner (since breastfeeding): *this was eaten on the road

-hard boiled egg

-almonds with coconut flakes

-banana

Felt really great the entire day. It was actually hard to eat as much food as I did. I also made sure I drank three 32oz bottles of water throughout the day. Didn't have any cravings or a desire to munch on anything noncompliant. There's still 29 days ahead of me, so we'll see how things go! :)

DAY 2:

Pre WO: handful of black olives

Post WO: 2 hard-boiled eggs and 1/2 cup canned pumpkin

Workout: 20 minute run

Dinner:

-salmon, cooked in olive oil

-side salad with balsamic vinegar

-1/2 avocado

-steamed broccoli

I did not experience "The Hangover" today, which in a way surprised me because I was still allowing my sugar dragon to rule me up until Sunday night. However, it could still happen on day 3, so we'll see. I did, however, notice some GI distress, which I am attributing to this. 

I went on a run today, the first run in a few weeks, and I was quite nervous I wouldn't be able to run the entire time, but I did. I was pushing the jogger, but regardless, my time was rather slower: a whole 2:30 slower per mile than I am used to! I am looking forward to seeing how this time changes as the Whole30 continues. 

Also, I wasn't able to get all four meals in today. I also don't feel hungry enough to even eat one! But with the timing of dinner and bedtime, I didn't want to force myself to eat it. Milk supply is still as strong as ever!

DAY 3:

Breakfast:

-2 over easy eggs fried in ghee

-sauteed veggies (brussels, onion, bell pepper, mushroom and tomatoes)

-1/2 avocado

-black coffee

Lunch:

-chicken breast

-large serving of roasted veggies

-1/2 sweet potato

Mini Meal:

-hardboiled egg

-carrot sticks

-handful of mixed nuts

-small handful of coconut flakes

Dinner:

-tuna packet

-1/2 avocado

-large bowl of salad greens

-tomatoes, mushrooms, bell pepper, zucchini

-balsamic vinegar as the dressing to this salad

I wasn't able to get a workout in today because baby girl didn't want to nap on her own so I had to wear her most of the afternoon. I did get the livingroom pick up, however! 

On Wednesdays I have a mom's group and there are always snacks, particularly sweets and unhealthy snacks. I always ate some, even if I wasn't hungry. Today, just like always, there were snacks, and today, there were Dunkin' Donut munchkins, which I usually eat several.  There were definitely moments where I found myself thinking about eating them and I had this crazy urge to chew on something. However, I realized that I was not actually hungry and that I didn't need to eat any of those snacks! It made me wonder how many other times I mindlessly ate during these groups. I can totally do this!

This morning, I did wake up with a headache and I just felt tired. Definitely feeling the hangover today. It lasted until after I ate lunch, and then I felt back to normal. I did sleep the best I ever had in a really long time and it definitely helped that LO slept for 8 hours straight! ;)

Day three done!

DAY 4:

Breakfast:

-2 eggs, scrambled

-sauteed veggies in coconut oil

-cantaloupe

-black coffee

Lunch:

-chorizo

-1/2 plantain, fried in chorizo fat

-sauteed kale

-1/2 avocado

Dinner:

-chicken

-large serving of roasted veggies (zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and brussels)

-1/2 avocado

-roasted butternut squash

Mini Dinner:

-hardboiled egg

-apple pie larabar

This morning I woke up with a HUGE headache--definitely 'the hangover' stage has arrived! It lasted through lunch, but thankfully it did go away. I did feel tired throughout the entire day, however. It didn't help that I did not sleep well that night before. 

I had a life group get-together tonight and I wasn't even tempted by all of the sugary snacks that I would have totally had some of each prior to Whole30, and it's only day 4! I have a strong desire to finish this, so that contributed to not wanting any, but also, I did not just make it through 'the hangover' for nothing!

DAY 5:

Breakfast:

-2 eggs, scrambled

-sauteed kale, in ghee

-"monkey salad"--1/2 banana, handful of blackberries, sliced almonds, coconut flakes, and coconut milk

-coffee with coconut cream blended in--> this is AWESOME! I love the flavor it gave my coffee :)

Lunch: 

-fried plantain, coconut oil

-chorizo

-salad greens

-veggies (mushrooms, orange pepper)

-black olives

-1/2 avocado

-La Criox, lime flavored

Mini Meal:

-apple

-hard boiled egg

-canned pumpkin

-handful of olives

Dinner:

-Crock Pot coconut chicken curry -->super easy and delicious, however, a very mild curry. I'll have to make it more spicy next time. 

-green beans

-broccoli

-small white potato

I woke up with a slight headache, definitely not as bad as yesterday morning. I do have a cold right now, so it's been hard to determine if any of the symptoms, such as a headache or body ache, are from the cold or from my body detoxing. I am hoping that doing Whole30 will help me get over this cold much faster! It's been with me the entire duration of the Whole30 and I am so over it. It's no fun being sick with a 3 month old. 

I did find myself wishing I could indulge in some kind of dessert or junk food, since it was Friday night, and we typically do eat junk food together (my husband and I). However, I was able to decipher that it was just a craving and that I was not actually hungry. 

Hurray! Made it to the weekend!

• Moderators

Your meals may actually be a little on the light side. When eggs are your only protein in a meal, a serving size is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, which is almost certainly more than two. If you don't want more eggs, add a little of some other protein -- some sausage, maybe, or just whatever you have leftover. This is especially important for breastfeeding moms, who need more nutrition than the average person anyway to support both themselves and their little ones.

Your meals may actually be a little on the light side. When eggs are your only protein in a meal, a serving size is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, which is almost certainly more than two. If you don't want more eggs, add a little of some other protein -- some sausage, maybe, or just whatever you have leftover. This is especially important for breastfeeding moms, who need more nutrition than the average person anyway to support both themselves and their little ones.

Shannon, thank you! I'll definitely need to see what adding some more protein to my meals does for me! I feel like I'm eating so much, however! I was actually wondering if I was eating too much. I truly appreciate your advice. I'll be upping my protein for sure!

So far, LO has had plenty of wet and dirty diapers, which is reassuring! :) I also make it a point to drink at least 3, 32oz water bottles. 

DAY 6:

Breakfast:

Pretty much my new favorite and super filling breakfast...

-2 eggs, scrambled

-sauteed kale, in ghee

-"monkey salad"--1/2 banana, handful of blackberries, sliced almonds, coconut flakes, and coconut milk

-coffee with coconut cream blended in

Lunch:

-venison steaks

-very large serving of roasted veggies

-1/2 avocado

Second Lunch:

-left over coconut chicken curry

-1/2 sweet potato

Dinner:

-Out to Dinner at Chipotle

-Carnitas salad with guacamole

***if I go back there during Whole30 again, I am for sure going to order extra meat and extra guac, I was not satisfied

-La Croix, lime

Today, I was definitely tired. I think it was a mixture of this cold that I am STILL fighting and the Whole30. I only had one craving today, and that was at night when my husband and I went to play some games with another couple and they served coffee. I was practically drooling as I watched my friend pour that delicious creamer into her coffee and could almost taste the creamy goodness. I determined that at this point, creamer in my coffee is really all I'm missing right now. Yes, I have tried coconut cream/milk in my coffee, and while it is delicious, it is definitely not the same as dairy creamer. 

Also, we had a couple's study at our church and there are alway peanut m&ms on the table, and I almost grabbed a handful, completely out of habit. Without Whole30 I wouldn't have even given this a second thought! 

DAY 7:

Breakfast:

-3 eggs, scrambled

-sauteed kale, in ghee

-coffee with coconut cream blended in

***I added an extra egg, per recommendations, since I can technically fit 3 eggs into my hand. I was extremely full and had a difficult time eating everything. I think I am going to stick with 2 eggs from here on out.

Lunch:

-wild turkey breast, seared with olive oil and spices

-hardboiled egg

-1/2 avocado

-carrot sticks

-grapes

Went on a walk around the block at my in-laws (they live in the country and the block is 3.25 miles) but not even halfway through my stomach was really upset and I had to call my husband to pick me up due to a bathroom emergency! Talk about embarrassing. I don't think I can workout so soon after eating. 

Second Lunch:

-apple pie larabar

-apple

-handful of mixed nuts

Dinner:

-chorizo

-1/2 plantain, fried in coconut oil

-1/2 avocado

Still feeling tired, but still fighting this cold. Super frustrating. This evening, I had really bad cravings and I had a sort of very mini panic attack because I felt super hungry but I didn't have anything that I wanted to eat! I walked around and picked up some stuff around the house, and that helped. 

I feel like I'm eating so much! The volume of food is just crazy! 

Also, I am so happy I not only made it to the weekend, but I made it through the weekend. Weekends are always cheat days, no matter what diet program I might be following. I am so proud of myself that I made it through! 

DAY 8:

Breakfast:

-shredded sweet potato fried in coconut oil and 2 over easy eggs on top of a bed of spring mix

-1/2 avocado

-black coffee with coconut cream

Lunch:

-2 hard boiled eggs

-handful of almonds

-apple pie larabar

-venti iced black tea, unsweetened, with apple juice instead of water

***this lunch was on the go while I had errands to run

2nd Lunch:

-venison salad (leftover venison steaks, spring mix, tomato, bell pepper, and mushrooms) drizzled with EVOO and balsamic vinegar 

-pineapple

Dinner:

-chorizo

-1/2 plantain, fried in coconut oil

-avocado

-handful of cashews

I'm honestly feeling pretty normal, except for this cold that I just can't seem to beat. I really think I'm tired because of this cold, but it is hard to say. I definitely had moments today where I felt super empowered and just know I am going to be able to complete this! 

DAY 9:

Breakfast:

-coconut pumpkin breakfast bake

-bowl of blackberries, shredded coconut, sliced almonds, and coconut milk

-coffee with coconut cream and a dash of cinnamon

Lunch:

-tuna with a scoop of homemade mayo

-spring mix

-cantaloupe

PreWO: couple bites of chicken and handful of black olives

PostWO: 2 hardboiled eggs and handful of dates

Workout: 20 minute run followed with 30 minutes of walking pushing the jogger stroller

Dinner:

-salmon fillet

-asparagus

-roast sweet potato

-1/2 avocado

2nd Dinner:

-handful of cashews

-kombucha 

I wasn't hungry much at all today. I was really busy with a variety of things, which could account for my lack of an appetite. It could have been more so that my mind was just occupied with everything else that I had to get done that I didn't think about eating, or mindless snacking!

Another NSV: I had zero pain in my calves today on my run! Since pregnancy, I've had really sharp pain that rain up the side of my calves on both legs. But not today, it was totally gone! I also ran the entire time without even feeling like I needed to stop. I am really looking forward to seeing how my running will continue to improve. :)

DAY 10:

Breakfast:

Lunch:

-chicken fajita salad

-cucumbers, carrot sticks, and snow peas

-1/2 avocado

PostWO: chicken, hardboiled egg, and some dates

Workout: 15 minute run and some hiking

Dinner: 

-venison taco meat

-left over asparagus and roasted sweet potato

2nd Dinner:

-apple

-handful of cashews

Made it to day 10 and I do not feel like stopping! So happy to see double digits for my total days now. 

DAY 11

Breakfast:

Lunch:

-leftover venison taco meat mixed with some homemade mayo stuffed inside mini peppers

-leftover broccoli and green beans

-1/2 avocado

PreWO: black olives

PostWO: hard boiled eggs

Workout: 22-minute run

Dinner:

-Italian Chicken Casserole Bake (chicken, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and a sauce made from sweet potatoes and coconut milk)

Snack:

-cashews

-apple

DAY 12

Breakfast:

-coffee with coconut cream

Workout 30 mins within breakfast: babywearing Zumba

PostWO: homemade venison jerky

Lunch:

-2 hardboiled eggs

-larabar

-homemade venison jerky

Snack:

-handful of cashews

-dates

Dinner:

-leftover italian chicken casserole

Today might have been my hardest day on Whole30. I was on the go the entire day, until about 4pm. I didn't have the opportunity to sit down and eat a template meal with no distractions. In fact, even though I packed totally compliant food with me, I ended up eating each item throughout the day (grazing) instead of an actual meal. 

After an essential oils make and take class, my mom friends and I were going to go to the park and let our kiddos (less mine since she's 15 weeks) run around. The three other moms all went to drive-thrus of some sort before meeting up. And I have to admit that I was jealous of the convenience. I really wanted to just run through a drive-thru and pick up something! Pre-Whole30, I would have totally done that! I am proud that I stuck to Whole30, however, I am thinking this might be an area in the future that I will need to work on so I do NOT revert back to old habits and continue to use the drive-thru for convenience. 

Also, I had major cravings today! The only thing I have really missed is creamer in my coffee, but today, I really had to fight cravings. It wasn't too hard, since I was stuck in the chair with a nursing/sleeping baby and we didn't have any ice cream or margaritas. ;) I CAN DO THIS! 

DAY 13

Breakfast:

Lunch and 2nd Lunch: I cannot remember what I ate during the middle of the day! I am filling this out on Tuesday. I really should try to fill this out each day, like I started out doing. Opps!

Dinner:

-tuna protein salad with homemade mayo, bell peppers, cilantro, lime juice, tomatoes, avocado, and taco seasoning

-cucumbers, carrots, snap peas

-sauteed apples in coconut oil, topped with coconut milk

DAY 14

Breakfast:

-banana

Lunch:

-leftover tuna protein salad

-cucumbers

-black olives

Workout right after lunch: 5-mile hike along the Ice Age Trail

PostWO: two hard boiled eggs and dates

Dinner:

-Chipotle: double carnitas salad with guac and pico

-added fried plantains when I got home

***much more filling this time around!

Today was Mother's Day and I was slightly disappointed that I couldn't have a treat or indulgence. I really would have loved a specialty coffee drink of some sort or a pastry. But even though I didn't eat those things, I didn't feel like I was missing out! And the craving for those was so small that I was easily about to overcome it. I think my sugar dragon is finally being beaten into submission. ;)

I was even able to ignore the homemade carrot cake that my mother-in-law had made, which really is super delicious. I didn't even miss it! I really feel in control of my eating habits now and feel great about life post-Whole30, as I've been thinking about what foods I will be incorporating back into my diet.

DAY 15

Breakfast:

-three eggs, scrambled in ghee

-sauteed kale

-blackberries with shredded coconut, cashews, and coconut milk

Lunch:

-wild turkey

-cashew cookie larabar

-unsweetened green tea

2nd Lunch:

-homemade venison jerky

-apple

Dinner:

-15 minute chicken and veggie roast (recipe from the 21 Day Sugar Detox Facebook page)

-pineapple slices with coconut milk

HURRAY for the halfway point!! I am so proud of myself for not only making it this far, but for thriving! I truly feel great and I do not have the desire to mindlessly snack throughout the day. I am also very much slimming down and it is SO HARD to not step on that scale. But I can do this!

Today, I was super busy and ended up having some afternoon plans pop up that I wasn't prepared for, so I didn't have complaint food with me and didn't eat nearly enough. Even though I didn't eat that much, I felt full and totally fine throughout the day. Didn't even think about cheating!

DAY 16 (part 2)

Workout: 25 minutes of Zumba

PostWO: hardboiled egg and an apple

2nd Lunch:

-homemade venison jerky

-shredded chicken

-grapes

Dinner:

-homemade shredded venison (I played around with the ingredients, ie didn't follow a recipe, and it was awesome!)

-fried plantains

-1/2 avocado

-tomato

-cilantro and a squeeze a lime juice

I want to say the "tiger blood" is almost here! I haven't been sleeping well because LO has hit the 4-month sleep regression, so it's just not possible for me to get quality or quantity of sleep. I have been thinking about what I want the reintroduction process to look like and I think I'm going to do a hybrid between the fast and slow paths. I'm not missing legumes, so I think I will skip that step and wait to reintroduce those as a slow processes. The only thing I truly miss, as mentioned above, is creamer in my coffee. I think dairy is going to be the first thing I will experiment with. 

DAY 17

Breakfast:

-three eggs, scrambled

-sauteed spinach

-blueberries, banana, coconut flakes, sliced almonds, and cashews topped with coconut milk

Lunch:

-homemade shredded venison (I played around with the ingredients, ie didn't follow a recipe, and it was awesome!)

-fried plantains

-1/2 avocado

-tomato

-cilantro and a squeeze a lime juice

2nd Lunch:

-homemade venison jerky

-carrots and snap peas

-apple

I had a food dream last night! I was at some type of performance and they had a bakery and there were all sorts of homemade chocolate-y treats and fudges. I was STEALING (omg!) pieces and stuffing them into my purse. But then I felt guilty, not because I stole them, but because I was going to ruin my Whole30. 

• Moderators

I think my sugar dragon is finally being beaten into submission. ;)

Is this what your coconut breakfast thing is? Because if it is, that's an awful lot of sweet first thing in the morning, which is really just going to keep that sugar dragon roaring for longer. I don't think people necessarily need to cut out all fruit (though there are some people here on the forums who go that route), but I do think that going for savory meals most of the time, with lots of fat and tons of veggies, and limiting your fruit to 1-2 fist-sized servings per day or less will help immensely in getting rid of sugar cravings.

Archived