Tracy Sparrow- whole30 kick off - started October 1!

tracysparrow

Hi there!

I'm Tracy and just started yesterday. I like the idea of logging everything I eat here- and I am not sure if people look at each other's logs- but it feels good to kind of be "public" and accountable for it.

10/1

Meal 1-

Black coffee

2 slices of turkey (no sulfites or preservatives)

Meal 2

Salad greens with avacado, tomato, chicken breast, egg crumbles,

Snack:

pistachios

Meal 3:

Scrambled "good" eggs with smoked salmon, scallions,

Snack:

more pistachios (too many- honestly and too late at night. I know they are on the moderation list but I totally overdid it. I don't feel like I need to start over because they are legal- just want to "fess up" about it and not do it again!

Will post today's food at the end of the day!

Feeling pretty normal so far- just realizing that eating this way takes thought and planning. Also, I have 4 sons (ages 3 - 15) and I did not ask that they all do it with me. So, there are LOTS of temptations around but that's okay, it's reality. I'm hoping after the 30 days, I can show and tell them how great I feel so I can get them on board too.

Thanks for the input and nice to meet you! I think you're right. This morning I woke up starving but instead of making eggs, which would have been quick- I decided to make a soup/stew so I could have it for breakfast and lunch. I was DYING while I cooked it, but it was worth it. Grassfed, organic ground beef, coconut milk, clean chicken broth, cabbage, cauliflower (hand chopped to be barley-like), bell pepper, tomatoes with green chilis (no preservatives), curry seasoning, and fresh dill. (Dill and currry?? Weird, but somehow delicious). I feel FAR more satiated then yesterday with the turkey slices and then the salad. Lots of good veggies, protein, and good fats in this soup and I can tell the difference. Night is always hard for me snack-wise, so I am going to try to make sure to eat a really good dinner to see if I can make it through without snacking at all.

Day 2 complete (finger's crossed)

Meal 1- Curry Beef Stew

Grassfed, organic ground beef, coconut milk, clean chicken broth, cabbage, cauliflower (hand chopped to be barley-like), bell pepper, tomatoes with green chilis (no preservatives), curry seasoning, and fresh dill. (Dill and currry?? Weird, but somehow delicious).

Meal 2- Curry Beef Stew

Snack - Pistachios (Damn them! Maybe I need to get rid of them)

Baby carrots

Meal 3 - Curry Beef Stew

1 serving pan seared tuna with olive oil and spice rub (sugar and preservative free)

green beans with butter and fresh dill (I am getting some ghee tomorrow- butter was minimal)

Tomorrow I am going to get some coconut aminos from the health food store (almost nobody carries it around here) so I can make a stir fry tomorrow. Have lots of great fresh veggies to stir fry!

Am I doing this right???

Hoping to have a snack free night!

Day 3

Meal 1

Curry Beef Stew

snack

pistachios (note to self. never buy pistachios again.)

Meal 2

roasted Brussel sprouts

handful of macademia nuts

spoon of coconut butter

Meal 3

Chicken thigh curry stew

good chick thighs

cabbage

Yam

water chestnuts

zucchini

mushrooms

bell peppers

good chick broth

hot sauce

coconut aminos

ghee

good curry seasoning

salt

pepper

snack

pistachios (refer to previous note to self. no more pistachios )

Day 4

Breakfast

Bacon

2 eggs over easy cooked in Ghee

kale/spinach sauteed with garlic, balsamic, coconut aminos and ghee

Meal 2

Leftover curry chicken soup stew

Meal 3

grassfed etc. lamb chops

roasted brussel sprouts

2 hours later- starving!!

handful of macademias

some leftover brussel sprouts

2 clementines

2 hours later- starving again!? handful of pistachios and macademias.

Sugar cravings have started to kick in. My husband bought sprite for his tummy which wasn't feeling well. I don't even drink soda and me and that sprite had a stare-off show down. In the end...I won...but I really wanted it bad!!

BTW, Laura - I have been able to buy/cook more food because I work on a virtual team. So I am home and I have a slightly flexible schedule. I actually spent some time last night finding 5 recipes I want to make (for which I can afford the ingredients) and making a shopping list. Problem is, I will have to go to 2-3 different stores in order to get what I need and what my family needs. It's time consuming. I was reading some posts last night about meal planning or cooking large amounts of things and I think that's what I will have to do. I can't keep cooking every meal from scratch for me, a different one for the kids, and try to get my work done. Unless I can clone myself.

Gotta watch the nuts and don't get why I'm so hungry when I'm eating so much and not riding the bad-carb wave? Hopefully it will even out!

I think it is typical to have those days of feeling hungry, especially in the beginning. However, and once again, you could ask yourself if you are eating enough. Perhaps you should snack on some meat, for example, instead of nuts.

I am on Day 5 and I have a little bit of the opposite problem: I am not hungry, so I miss my meals. Today, I had breakfast at 7:00, and then I forgot about lunch until 2:00, which is not optimal either.

But I think it will even out with time.

Thanks Emma! I think you're right. I was just making a shopping list so I can buy some stuff and cook up a bunch of meats and stuff to have handy. I think the nuts are easy to turn to- but I can feel that they are also meeting some kind of "sugar" need, so I want to get away from that.

Trying to get organized. It's weird. I am way hungrier than I was before I started. I hope it does even out!

Take care!

Day 5- the FIRST day I wasn't starving all day and that I didn't overdo it on nuts.

Meal 1

3 "good" eggs over easy fried in Ghee over

sauteed kale and garlic with a splash of balsamic

with a very small avacado sliced over it

Meal 2

Roasted "good" chicken

chicken eggdrop soup with zucchini

(good chick broth, boneless skinless chick thigh, onion, scallion, zuch, rice vinegar, coconut aminos, eggs)

Meal 3

Green chicken curry (this was a really good one. seems like I am making curries of some sort every day but this was my favorite)

leftover roast chicken

green curry paste

lemon grass

thai basil

bell peppers

"riced" cauliflower

green beans

zuchini

kale

coconut aminos

broth

etc.

evening snack

5 macademia nuts

Feeling good!!

Day 6

So, while I didn't feel hungry for most of the day - I found myself very hungry last night.

Also, I have noticed that a lot of people who eat paleo, also do crossfit. I have been a VERY non- physical person other than chasing my 3 and 5 year old around.

I have tried to exercise throughout the years, and have gone through spurts, but have never really made it a part of my life. In taking on the whole30, and planning to stick with this new lifestyle, I also want to be more physical. But I don't know if I want to do crossfit. I'd like to start by walk/running. Is there anyone else here in the same boat? Opinions? Thoughts?

Anyway, here's my day:

Meal 1

A couple of bites of roast chicken (wasn't hungry)

coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2

Yes- another curry stew-

Grassfed ground beef

cherry tomatoes

cabbage

cauli

kale

1 bell pepper

1 yellow onion

broth

seasonings

coconut aminos

can of roasted tomatoes with chilis

fresh dill

Snack

1 1/2 table spoons of almond butter with an apple and cinnamon

Meal 3

more of the above curry

1 grassfed burger patty with sauteed mushrooms with ghee and garlic and avocado

Night snack: raw cashews

Hello all! Just realized I am 2 days behind!

Day 7

Meal 1

3 eggs fried in ghee over sauteed kale with garlic, ghee, balsamic, and coconut aminos

coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2

leftover eggdrop soup

handful of cashews

apple with cinnamon and almond butter

Meal 3

leftover curry stew

roasted broccoli and cauli with garlic

Exercise: 30 minute walk

Day 8

Meal 1

eggs and broccoli scrambled in ghee

coffee with coconut milk

Snack

handful of cashews

Meal 2

2 pieces of roasted chicken

salad

eggplant dip

Snack

Apple with cinnamon and almond butter

Was at class last night, so really no dinner- I had

baby carrots

some cashews

Late night snack

1 1/2 tbspns coconut butter (SO yummy)

Feeling pretty good!

If I was younger, and not so injured, I would love to do Crossfit. Like Derval, I think I would love being part of the community, although I am not so sure about the competitive aspect. Competitions have always turned me off.

However, it is quite easy to work out in a "crossfit-spirit". I also think Mark Sisson is right: lots of walking, heavy weight-lifting, and some hard cardio. And then I would like to add some yoga into that equation, since flexibility is also important.

Good luck and keep us posted on the exercising!

Thanks Emma- it has been rough to fit it in this week, other than walking. I work on a virtual team, and have a hard time with time management- building in the time I need to devote for work, the kids, cooking/getting supplies and at the bottom of the totem pole- me!

I'll get there though. I wasn't exercising at all before this, so I know any activity is better then no activity!

Day 9

Meal 1

eggs scrambled with ghee and broccoli

coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2

salad with chicken breast, avacado and berries

Snack

cashews

Dinner

steak with sauteed mushrooms and spinach with garlic

Snack (this was a TOTAL sweets craving- I blame having my "ladytime:")

Apple with cinnamon, almond butter. and coconut butter- YUM!!

Day 11 (I was confused last night when I posted Day 10 as Day 11)

Meal 1

Kale sautee with ghee, garlic

3 over easy eggs

Meal 2

Green curry

chicken, veggies, coconut milk, broth etc.

cauliflower "fried rice"

Meal 3

same

snack

2 tbspns coconut butter

Exercise

Late night brisk walk- 20 minutes

Threw an oxtail stew in the slow cooker to cook over night!

Hey!! Haven't been getting on the forum to post my meals but have stayed on track!

I realize that what I miss most is soy sauce and boullion. Never realized how much I relied on those things for flavor in soups, stews, etc.

Coconut aminos help but just not the same!

Day 16

Meal 1

3 eggs over easy over sauteed spinach with garlic and lemon

Meal 2

salad with avacado chicken breast hard boiled egg etc

Dinner

Jerusalem salad- cucumber tomatoes parsley jalapenos in lemon and olive oil

eggplant dip

lamb shishkabob

snack

1 spoon if coconut butter

Also I made an amazing pot roast on Sunday which I will post in the recipe section

not getting enough exercise but working on it

Totally plan to keep going past the Whole30. Maybe Whole 45. Maybe more!!

Missed having a glass of wine last night at dinner out for our wedding anniversary!

Day 17

Meal 1

"Good" ground beef stir fried with water chestnuts, broccoli slaw, bell pepper, garlic and scallions

Meal 2

More of the same

Meal 3

Roast chicken with lemon and garlic and roast cabbage

Realizing that I need more leafy greens, broccoli, etc. Also, my appetite has gone WAY down...

Also, I need to get myself moving more!!

Archived