GU Replacer

Hi Everyone!

I'm planning on starting my Whole30 on May 4th. I have a half-marathon race on May 28th. I can't just wait until after, because I literally have some kind of event every month, so it's not like there will be a better time. 

During half/full marathons, I typically fuel with GUs and drink Gatorade/heed at aid stations. I'm not super concerned about leaving out the Gatorade, but wondering what I should use in place of GU that would be Whole30 Compliant. 

Thanks in advance for the advice!!!!

"so it's not like there will be a better time" 

You asked for advice, and this is not what you were asking for, but doing a Whole30 during a month in which you are preparing for a race is something I advise against. I am a mostly fat-adapted 10+ year runner and expect to struggle if I try a Whole30 during a build to a race. There will be trade-offs -- slower runs, sluggish feelings, frustrations -- as you optimize and test your new nutrition in the final weeks leading into your event. As long as you recognize and are aware of the fact that your runs will suffer for the first few weeks of this, then you can keep reading my nutrition advice below ;) 

I don't know your running history, goal pace, expected time, etc -- so you'll need to adjust and test amounts and types of foods that work for you. Personally I don't eat during a half mary, so I wouldn't eat all of these foods just one: homemade plantain chips, half a banana or few orange segments, brined steamed red potato, maybe some raisins. Some people can eat dates filled with small dollop of coconut oil, small sweet potato, nuts or bite of Lara bar, but these don't work for me. Be mindful to add salt to your foods and drink extra. Some people try coconut water but I don't like it. 

Good luck on training and your race!

lucie

Thanks Lucie, 

I'm Team Turtle kind of runner. Not super fast, but would like to be. I know my weight is a pretty significant factor to my pace which is why I'm here  :)

I should add that the Half I'm doing isn't terribly serious-  I'm ridiculously under trained for it, but I know I can do it. It's a charity event that a friend of mine organized, hence the feeling obligated to do it while at the same time knowing I don't need to do great. I've got much more serious events coming up in the end of June (sprint tri) and Mid-July (Kayak "half-marathon") and in September/October I have HUGE events that I want to be on my game for (a Ragnar Relay and a full Marathon), so if I want to do this in an effort to lose weight and increase my time, then there's no time like the present. 

While I'm being pretty flippant about the half in May, I still don't want to completely bonk. I typically eat some oatmeal about an hour before, maybe with a banana, and have a GU about an hour in which usually gets me through to the end. GU are convenient because they're small and fit in my hydration band. I'm going to check out dates... I've been reading about people using them instead of GU even before wanting to do this... but I never really gave it much thought because, ya know, I had GU! HAHA! 

I found some all-fruit leathers in the gluten free area of my supermarket. I tried those on a training run--it's more to chew, but they do the trick. Banana chips (read labels!!!!) or other dried fruits work well for this too; just stick them in plastic wrap or a baggie.

Archived