On day 3 of my first Whole30

sdawson

I started my first whole30 on Monday after piddling around with it last week.  But this week I'm following it strictly.  I'm a diabetic not well controlled and in a wheelchair due to degenerative dics and fibromylgia.

I can already tell a difference.  Swelling in my feet and ankles is way down and also in my fingers.  My hip and low back pain is much better (it was getting so severe I could not sleep at all at night).  I don't crave anything - even my beloved cheese.

But best of all, my blood sugar is SO much better.  I'd been averaging 220 but that average is now down to 203 and I've had to start skipping my noon insulin injections and halving both night injections to avoide lows.  Its so strange to see a read of 103 or 98 or even the 84 I got before lunch today.  I've never had those type of readings before. 

I'm truly looking forward to seeing what all changes my body shows after 30 days.  I'm loving this and don't feel deprived at all.

Here's to getting out of this wheelchair soon.

Well. I am finishing day 7.**mod edit to remove scale discussion** Probably a lot of water weight because swelling is way down in my hands and feet. I definitely have more energy. Also I found out if I overdo I still have fibro pain. But some days, the hip and back pain are better. I'm doing lots of stretches for my hips and low back, which results in soreness. I'm also standing up and trying to walk with my cane more. It still hurts but at least I can walk some now. I'm keeping on to see what will happen to my body next.

• Moderators

Please note that not weighing is a rule as much as not eating grains and dairy. You'll notice that I removed your scale comment. At the end of 30 days we would be thrilled for you to post a recap of your success including scale results. Please wait until the end to weigh again and if you do weigh, we ask that you don't post it here as part of a 'during whole30 this is what's happening' discussion.

I'm seeing the same blood sugar results. I woke up to an FBS of 90 this morning. I can honestly say I've never seen it that low. It usually runs high 100s or low 200s, which is not a good thing. 

I have heard that fibro can be assisted with eating paleo and doing a W30 reset for yourself. 

We need to learn from this and keep it up!

I'm trying to get my units of insulin figured out.  I don't see my doc till June 1st.  I have had several lows.  Fortunately I always wake up when a low occurs during the night.  To make it worse, my pharmacy couldn't refill my test strips this weekend.  I've been having to guess and sure enough, I had a low last night.  Can't wait till tomorrow to call the docs office.

I know I'm eating enough, maybe more than enough.  I also eat my last meal late in the evening. 

I've been having lots of cool salads made of spinach, cucumbers, zucchini  squash, tomatoes, blueberries, onions, slivered nuts (mostly walnuts lately) with olive oil dressing and chopped eggs, plenty of meat and eggs cooked in coconut oil and drizzled (sp) with ghee.  Snacks are boiled eggs or a small salad.

Since I have insomnia, I sleep late and have breakfast between 10:30-11:30.  Lunch is around 3pm and dinner is late around 8pm.  My sugars tend to be higher in the morning and go down during the day.  But lately they have been improving so much I have reduced my nighttime dose, skipped my lunch dose and only inject my morning regular doses of insulins. 

I've had so much energy its amazing.  Also swelling in my hands and feet is way down,  I can see bones on the top of my feet, and clinch my fists now - even in the morning.  My fibro pain is also much better during the day.

When u take insulin you have to "feed" it. If you stop the insulin and do not consume carbs u see those results. My trainer has many stories on how he took people off the insulin (because he took the carbs from their diet).

Happy to hear. keep the good work!  

My glimiperide was cut in half; it lowers blood sugar too much and one has to eat to the low. That's counterproductive for the diabetes and overall health. I do still take the Lantus, but it's long acting and doesn't lower the sugar. The endocrinologist said we might consider discontinuing the glimiperide altogether if the trend continues. 

My blood sugars have never been better since I started this second W30. Now to keep the numbers down after reintroduction, but that's 20 days away and I have time to plan.

Day 19.  I feel great, can't believe the amount of energy I have.  I can stay busy all day.  Still having some issues going to sleep at night but some days that's better also.  Not last night though.  Fibro pain is still much better.  Blood glucose is doing great.  a month ago my average on my meter was 220, this morning it was 177.  Great!

I also did not take my night insulins last night and this morning my number was 183 - unheard of for me who has dawn syndrome.

Archived