Thai Kitchen - Red Curry Paste

jillian

Curious if there's any issue with the Red Curry Paste made by Thai Kitchen.

Ingredients: Red chili pepper, garlic, lemongrass, galangal (thai ginger), salt, shallot, spices, kaffir lime.

The list looks clean but in 1 Tbsp of the paste there's 1 gram of sugar - 3 grams of carbs total.

Thought I'd ask just to be sure...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I just received some yesterday from Amazon.com and the ingredients are:

red chili pepper, garlic, SOYBEAN OIL, lemongrass, galangal (thai ginger), salt, shallot, spices, kaffir lime

The soybean oil would make it non-compliant, right?

I am new to this, so just want to verify!

The soybean oil would make it non-compliant, right?

Yup. Soybean oil makes it non-compliant.

Keep in mind that manufacturers make a variety of products (I know some Thai Kitchen curry pastes in my store are ok, others are not). Also ingredients even within the same product can vary over time and by region. Good for you for reading the label! Save that one for post-whole30.

Perfectly proves the point that we can't approve specific products with any confidence or permanence.  I have a jar of Thai Kitchen red curry paste I just bought, use-by date of March 2016, and it does not contain soybean oil.  Yes, I panicked, it's red curry shrimp night.

No luck finding it in local markets, bmurty?  I'd guess amazon would be a last resort.  Our mega-chain here, Publix, sells it.  Thai Kitchen is owned by McCormick, the spice jar company, so they have pretty good distribution.

• 1 year later...

I really like the red and green curry paste from this company. My local store carries it--it appears compliant (not the yellow curry). If you're looking for a curry paste--it's pretty fabulous! --***a little goes a long way***--

Doh! Nevermind...it has sugar... boo--back to the drawing board. 

Archived