Keeping myself honest Oct. 3-Nov. 1

momto3

This is my umpteenth start, but only my second attempt to log here. I was too embarrassed to admit my slip-ups the other times. But reading others' logs has given me courage so here goes. I am already upset with myself because I was starving at 10:30 this morning and ended up having 4 100-calories packs of almonds and about 1/4 cup of raisins. Technically Whole30 but definitely not something I am proud of. But instead of calling it quits for the day and binging on some really bad stuff, I decided to write this.

I really want to do a Whole30 to break my addiction to sugar and grains. I have been emotionally eating for the past 2.5 years, binging most of it. I feel terrible physically and emotionally as a result. I just want eating to be natural again, not something I have to control. I am hoping that feeding my body real food will enable me to trust my body again and nourish it as it needs, not according to my emotions or some diet. I am trying not to make losing weight a goal as that just feeds into my restricting/binging cycle. But I am having a hard time getting it out of my mind.

Here is my food log:

Day 1

Meal 1: 3 eggs and cherry tomatoes

Snack: 4 100-calories bags almonds and raisins

I am actually getting hungry. Normally I would try not to eat to make up for the snack. But I am going to make myself something Whole30 now instead...

Thanks for your post, momto3! This is my third re-start and I'm planning to do my Whole30 from October 2-31 as well. (^ ^) I've been doing paleo the past two weeks but binged yesterday and Sunday because I knew I was starting my Whole30 today. /: Oy vey!

I eat a huge breakfast and it makes all the difference in the world. This morning, I had 3 scrambled eggs with spag squash and spinach mixed in and 1/2 an avocado. I ate at 7am and it's now 12:30. I am barely just starting to think about lunch now. On my day 30, for some odd reason, I decided to have two stuffed zucchini halves for breakfast. I think I meant to also have some eggs, but just spaced it. I hated day 30. I was kind of slightly hungry and out of sorts all day. I have not had that feeling in I don't know how long. So, I'd grab a hard boiled egg and a little spinach and eat it. Then...I'd be hungry 2 hours later. It was a bad day and I am so 100% positive that I am not meant to be a grazer. I was so glad when that day was over. :)

I also eat a big breakfast with fat and protein and veggies. I love eggs with pork sausage or some bacon when I can find it compliant. One day I did scrambled eggs with a little bit of sausage and peppers but also did sweet potato pan cooked in coconut butter and cinnamon. That was a good breakfast.

I'm on day 14. I definitely notice if I don't eat enough fat and protein in a meal, it really makes a ginormous (not a word I know) difference. You can do it!

I find that eating a big breakfast and including vegetables makes a huge difference. Don't be afraid to have 3-4 eggs for breakfast-though, I'm not gonna lie-that is hard for me to do. I'm good with two eggs and usually have some sort of veggie hash with chicken or beef in it-that ups the protein count for me and doesn't make me feel like I'm overloading on eggs. Plus, you don't have to eat eggs for meal one-the mornings I eat leftover dinner are usually good mornings and I don't get hungry till around noon-12:30. I eat breakfast around 6:00 on school days.

Good luck-and like Derval said-it only takes the one time to make it the right time. You can do it! Be kind to yourself!

Wow! Thank you so much for the encouragement and advice. I have realized that being so all-or-nothing is really hampering me when it comes to doing a Whole30. Practicing moderation will certainly help me in other areas of my life too!

I have some Applegate turkey bologna that I will have with my eggs and tomatoes tomorrow for breakfast. Maybe I will up my eggs to 4 also, just to be safe! I am such a slow eater...hard to get it all in before taking the kids to school!

My food the rest of today has been pretty good. I ate a ton of leftovers GF beef and green beams for Meal 2 at 2pm. Probably around 2/3 of a pound of meat! So I haven't been hungry for Meal 3 yet. I am really hoping my kids go to sleep without any issues tonight so that I can just relax and go to sleep early. This time of day is so stressful to me!

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to post! I hope your 1st day went well, Raven!

So technically this is my Day 2. But for a couple of reasons, I would like to reset and have this as my Day 1 again:

1. I ended up getting hungry and having more almonds and raisins last night instead of a proper Meal 3. At least I don't have any more nuts in the house!

2. I forgot to reset my daily emails until yesterday so I got the Day 1 email today.

In the past when I have reset it was because I went totally off track. I feel good about resetting this time because I stayed true to Whole30 yesterday; I just need some tweeking. Plus going into November might be really helpful...I have to stay out of my kids' candy bags this year!

I feel nice and hungry this morning! I am going to eat a substantial breakfast and start off on the right foot today!

Day 1 (again!) food log:

Meal 1 (7:45): 3 eggs, 2 slices Applegate turkey bologna, 1/2 large tomato

Still not enough! Tomorrow I will do 4 eggs plus the rest. I am very hungry now so I am having coffee with coconut milk now (11:15) to tide me over until lunch. Yummy!

The rest of the day has been going OK, but I just feel really hungry. Here's what else I have had today:

Meal 2 (12:45): huge salad (whole bag of TJ spring mix) with salmon, prosciutto, whole avocado, olives, sauerkraut, tomato, apple cidar vinegar and EVOO. Still hungry so had blueberries with coconut milk and almond butter. Felt much better.

Snack (4:00): I got really hungry suddenly and was really short with my kids. So I had 2 HB eggs and a big spoonful of coconut oil. Probably too much because I don't know how I will be able to eat dinner in an hour. But I have been a lot hungrier than usual so I might surprise myself!

I find that ravenous feeling last for the first few days and then your body starts to relax and the hunger is not as intense.I find that if I up my protein and fat for the first few days it makes a huge difference.

I am on a restart as well and wish you all the best during your whole 30..you CAN do it!

Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement, angelevil! I am hoping that's the case for me, as I have been eating a TON yesterday and today. I hope your restart is going well!

Didn't get to post last night (still issues with kids' sleep), but finished off the day well (compliant food, but a LOT of it!). From yesterday (Day 1):

Meal 3 (5:45): Greek chicken (lemon/lime juice and EVOO) and broccoli

Day 2 log:

Meal 1: 2 HB eggs while making kids' breakfast (7:00); 2 more HB eggs, 1/2 big tomato and 4 slices Applegate turkey bologna (7:45)

I am trying really hard not to beat myself up for eating so much for breakfast. I obviously needed it because for the first time I haven't needed a morning snack...still feeling fine now at 11:30 for a change. Restricting my food has led me to such a bad place...but it's so hard to stop, even if it's a little voice in the back of my head!

Day 2 Meal 2:(suddenly RAVENOUS at 12:30)

Huge salad with large can of salmon, prosciutto, whole avocado, 10 olives, tomato, sauerkraut, whole bag of TJ spring mix, EVOO and ACV. Still hungry so had blueberries mixed with coconut milk and almond butter. Still hungry so had coconut oil out of the jar and too many raisins (probably about 1/2 cup).

I feel like I am eating way too much. Maybe I should plan on having lunch a little earlier. I was trying to wait until I was hungry, but I went from not hungry to about to chew my arm off in 5 minutes!

Not hungry at all now...not sure how much I will eat at dinner in an hour...

Day 2 Meal 3:

I wasn't really hungry but I was scared that if I didn't eat I would fall prey to a binge later. S

Small breasted leftovers Greek chicken and 2 servings of Well Fred's roasted cauliflower (love that stuff!)

Archived