Yuca Chips

Hrk1989

Hey there! I'm on day 6 of whole30.

I just went to lunch at a Mexican restaurant - I got Ceviche and guacamole, and requested yuca chips instead of tortilla chips. I thought I was in the clear, but searched afterwards and am now concerned I screwed up with the yuca. Can anyone tell me if I need to start over? Not sure if I messed up here...

Thanks!

• Moderators

Actual Yuca sliced into thins and baked would be fine.... yuca mixed with alternative flours and turned into a faux baked good are not fine... which ones did you eat?

UPDATE: In light of the new, April 1, 2017 ruling on commercial chips of any kind, these yucca chips would not compliant with the Whole30 program.

It was in a restaurant so I actually have no idea - definitely nothing like a baked good; more like a chip.

UPDATE: In light of the new, April 1, 2017 ruling on commercial chips of any kind, these yucca chips would not compliant with the Whole30 program.

• Moderators

Actually, you have no business eating chips of any kind in a restaurant. We don't really want you making yucca chips at home either, but you can if you insist. Chips just don't fit the model of eating we want you to practice during a Whole30. 

Ok thanks, Tom. I suppose the question is - if the ingredients are compliant (checked back in the book, and looks like Canola Oil is when eating out): do I need to restart given the "spirit" of chips? Or am I good to continue with the program and avoid them moving forward?

• Moderators

Also, for you and others that come across this in the future... Canola Oil is reluctantly allowed when dining out because there are often no other options but in the spirit of Whole30, you should still ask the restaurant because often times they DO have other oils to cook in...

Archived