Reintroducing dairy tomorrow - where to start?

Today is Day 30. I made it. I'm going to reintroduce dairy first, as it's really the only thing (aside from a good Moscow Mule) that I've been wanting. 

My plan is to start with heavy cream in my coffee - probably my biggest longing. If I do that in the morning with success, is there any reason to believe that other dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt) would give me trouble?

• Moderators

Unfortunately yes, there is plenty of chance that cream in your coffee is fine but some cheeses, ice cream, milk, yogurt might be a problem... you really need to test the things you're planning on eating as individually as you can, depending on how much time you have... if cream doesn't affect you, it's somewhat reasonable to assume that every other dairy item may be fine but for some that's not the case. Some people also have trouble with quantity... so if cream in your coffee is the only dairy you're eating a day, fine, but the more you add in, the cumulative effect might happen and it could start to bother you... it's all an experiment and the more detailed you choose to experiment, the better off you'll be with much more detailed information... make sense?

Thanks for the explanation. Fortunately, I can go as slowly as I'd like. I'm feeling pretty good with this diet aside from the consistent dairy cravings, so as long as I can start sneaking that back in with baby steps, I think I can keep going on a slow reintroduction. 

I'll also try journaling in more detail starting tomorrow AM and reintroduce a specific food every third day. 

• Moderators

Good plan! Just remember that if you're not feeling as good on the third day as you did before you started re-intro, do the Whole30 until you do... some things have a delayed reaction or can take longer to clear from your system.

Good luck!!

I also added dairy back first thing (and also really miss Moscow Mules).  I had an omelette with cheddar this morning and it was heavenly.  I am hoping I do OK with dairy because thats what I missed the most. 

Heavy cream in my coffee is something I really missed during my W30, as well. While I plan to continue being compliant-ish, I added cream to my coffee this morning to see if I react. I've reacted in the past with mucous in my throat, so I'm curious to see if I notice that or anything else. If I do, it's bye bye cow juice!

Cheese has always been my downfall...food with NO brakes. So I'll be skipping it for a long time!

As I'm writing this, I'm already starting to clear my throat! Is it all in my head? No pun intended! Yep, here it comes! If I notice already...after a few sips, then what are the effects I don't notice? Wow!

My other huge issue, which still plagues me, is constipation. I've tried everything! Fiber, magnesium, probiotics, herbs. The only thing that I found works for me is kefir. I have yet to find water or coconut kefir anywhere near me. I wanted to order it online, but have no idea if it will be as effective as milk kefir.

• Moderators

Bummer about the constipation (no pun intended!).  Are you drinking enough water? Sometimes consptipation can be helped by better toilet positioning... I bought a Squatty Potty (available at most Target stores in the bthroom fixtures aisle) and it helps get your body into the right position for better elimination... so that might be something to try?

It's been an ongoing issue since I was wee (no pun intended there, either) and my mother since she was wee. I've even considered coffe enemas. Stools helps...OMG with the puns! I'll try the SP.

I reintro'd milk in coffee after 60 days and was so disappointed. It just didn't taste like I hoped it would - or even remembered how it did. I tried again this week (65 days) and again - yuk. So I am a committed black coffee baby from now on. I don't drink alcohol and I rarely drink black tee (rooibos for me, milkless). So I am back to being a cheap date! My dairy will be cheese and I am delaying that as I have a lot of weight to lose and I love cheese just a bit too much. 

I did 3 days of cream in my coffee and was hugely disappointed. Not the same as pre-W30 at all. So, I'm back to cashew milk and coconut cream. I can't do black coffee. I may go off coffee at some point.

I feel like for myself the ultimate most healthy thing would be to get off coffee, at least as something I depend on daily. I've got two small children and a lot of disrupted sleep though so it's not something I've chosen to tackle just yet. :) I was just reading your thread because I too, am hoping to reintroduce dairy in my coffee first! Having dealt with a child who is milk protein intolerant I totally agree with the moderator's comment, different types of dairy and different quantities can make a big difference.

Archived