5/2/16 Whole30 Group

tmhampton1

Welcome Jenny and Diane.

To everyone new in this group, I really want to advise you to look at the meal template and follow it to make sure you are eating correctly and enough to really satiate you. I see that some of you aren't including fat, protein and veggies in every meal and this is one of the core tenants of the template. All 3 of those items work together like a symphony in your system and are very important to include in every meal. 

Jenny - I'd be interested in what you find as go to foods for workouts. Right now I just eat a hard boiled egg before and some lean protein and a few bites of starchy veggies after but it would be interesting to see if you have success with any specific combos. 

SugarCube - thanks for including the link for everyone. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I'm starting my first whole30 today also.  I posted an introduction yesterday, but have no idea where it went.  How do you find posts and topics after you post them - I am finding the organization of this forum somewhat confusing.  So briefly again - I have been retired for 15 years from a career in biology, am an insulin dependent diabetic and have a lot of arthritis.  My new doctor [who looks to be about 12] strongly recommended I try a whole30 to reduce inflammation and insulin need.  I'm going to try, but unfortunately, am feeling somewhat negative after just 1 day.

I am on day 8 of a terrible cold.  I was going to start my whole 30 a week ago and fortunately waited a week in the hopes the cold would be gone, but no such luck.  Nothing tastes good and nothing sounds good, but I did my best today.  I am a somewhat fussy eater - I don't like strong tastes [coffee tastes like poison to me] or sour tastes, so that limits somewhat what I am willing to eat.  I bought compliant Tessamae ranch dressing since I love salads and planned to eat a lot of them, but it tastes horrible to me.  I hope it is the cold - I will try it again in a few days.  I don't eat vingarette type dresses at all.  Any suggestions?  I think I need a pep talk!

Your other post is here.

You can ensure you get emails from threads you post in by changing your settings. Click on your user name in the dark colored bar toward the top of any page in the forum and you should see a little box with options pop up -- click on Settings. When that page opens, you'll see a list on the left hand side, scroll down and click on Notification Options. Make sure the Email box is checked for everything in that first section at least.

When there's a discussion here in the forum you want to be notified about when people post, whether you reply to it or not, on the top right of each page, there's a line that says Follow This Topic -- click on that, and then you should get an email for every post on that thread.

Additionally, when you're looking at the forums, when you look at a list of topics, you'll notice they have little blue dots to the left of some, and little blue stars next to some. If there's a star, you've posted in that thread. If there's a dot, you haven't. In either case, if you click on the dot or the star, it will take you to the first message in that thread you haven't read yet.

• Moderators

He isn't snacking at work and no nuts or fruit at this point. I think that he's just being a baby, honestly. He is very used to snacking and is getting over eating protein bars and other treats at night, so he ate until he was full but didn't think about not being able to eat for the rest of the night. He is 6' 4" and has a very large hand...can easily hold 6 eggs.

We are working through it though. He is horrible about not eating at work all day and then coming home and gorging so I'm sure we will just have to find his sweet spot on how much he should be eating 3 times a day. 

Ahh... well for someone that can hold six eggs, you might be better doing eggs and... eggs and some other protein. Lots of people report that the amount of eggs that do anything for satiety top out around 3 or 4 so they add some leftover protein of another sort... that might work better?  Less volume, more nutrients than 6 eggs alone.

But in reality, change makes people uncomfortable so it's good that the two of you are working together to tweak things to make it work... anything is better than protein bars and starving all day just to eat all night... good for you guys! 

So... How is everyone doing? I'm about to head out to Meet up at a pizza place O_o. It's all good though. It's timed to end at just about the time I'll be hungry again. Strategery right there! Then I'll go home and actually prep a bit. I confess I was slacking over the weekend and didn't get myself together. I'm totally on plan though. Just not the way I usually am.

Bfast: Sweet Potato, 3 large eggs, 2 slices approved bacon

Lunch: Chipotle salad with carnitas, mild salsa, guacamole.

Dinner: dunno yet. Considering pad thai using Zucchini noodles and Mel Joulwan's recipe. Hopefully with leftovers for tomorrow!

we are doing well...(jeff and nikki, and our 19yo daughter).  i think we are doing better and appreciate the feedback.    jeff woke up with a headache this am, but otherwise our meals are keeping us full....all 3 of us craving something sweet however----

b:  3 eggs, 1/3 avocado, tomato, 3 slices pederson bacon

l:   leftover whole30 chili, 1/3 avocado, onions/peppers/fresh jalapeno topping

d:  roast turkey breast, 1/2 sweet potato w/ cinnamon, saute ghee/green beans w/garlic

we are working on increasing our veggies----any feedback is appreciated still!  still working toward having a clean day---- 

Hi I'm Jeanne and from Bremerton, WA.  I'm also on day 2 and feeling fine.  Have been trying to figure out what to do for a while.  Hitting my 60th birthday this summer and want to be in better shape and health.  I've been carrying excess weight since my kids 30 years ago...about time to take care of that!

So far so good.  I'm not a big planner either.  Over the years I've gotten away from recipes and such, and just wing it most of the time.  I'm a gardner so I don't have too much trouble figuring out how to fix veggies and am really looking forward to this spring and coming summer.  I feel like I've made a serious switch over the last few years to eat better, but obviously have things blocking me from losing weight.   So the biggest obstacle for me is breakfast or Meal 1.  I've normally had yogurt, fruit & granola or oatmeal with berries.  But that's now out...so on to eggs, etc.  Yesterday was hard boiled eggs, peaches & carrots, and today I scrambled eggs with peppers and onions and had some strawberries.  I had the last 2 days off.  Now back to work, and I get up at 4am, so that's where i'm dreading the morning eating and planning.  I'm out the door by 4:30, so don't have time to prep in am, has to be done at night. I'll figure this out, but glad to have others ideas to read and share.

My husband and I started yesterday. I'll be honest, we are already feeling pretty sluggish and well... Hungry!

I'm trying to have us eat the meal tempelate, but it's a huge adjustment and thus far we are just trying to make it through the day sticking to it. Part of the issue is DH is a very picky eater and half the food I bought or cooked he doesn't like. I'm praying his tastes will change...

Meal 1: frittata with veggies and sausage.

Snack:frittata again ( at work) with a couple small pieces of fruit.

Snack 2: chicken salad (rush home, rush out again)

Meal 2: chicken salad wraps with guacamole

Couple carrots and half banana. (Definitely felt the urge to snack though I wasn't hungry)

Meal 3: chicken curry with sweet potatoes, broccoli and green beans.

Honestly, I have no idea how I'm going to only eat three meals a day. I made frittate because I work so early and can just heat it up. It seems a pretty decent serving size to me but it isn't holding me over at all.

• Moderators

My husband and I started yesterday. I'll be honest, we are already feeling pretty sluggish and well... Hungry!

I'm trying to have us eat the meal tempelate, but it's a huge adjustment and thus far we are just trying to make it through the day sticking to it. Part of the issue is DH is a very picky eater and half the food I bought or cooked he doesn't like. I'm praying his tastes will change...

Couple carrots and half banana. (Definitely felt the urge to snack though I wasn't hungry)

Honestly, I have no idea how I'm going to only eat three meals a day. I made frittate because I work so early and can just heat it up. It seems a pretty decent serving size to me but it isn't holding me over at all.

You don't have any fat in your meal one, and probably not enough protein... if you make a fritatta, you need to eat a serving that is at least 2-3 eggs worth if you're having other protein and if you're not, then it needs to be 3-4 eggs worth. That means that a 9x13 pan made with 12 eggs gets you 3-4 servings if you're eating it as your sole protein.

What else did you have with your lunch besides lettuce and two carrots? the template asks for 1-3 cups... leafy greens don't count for much

Where's the fat in your meal 3?

I can tell you're not eating enough because you have to snack and as you've said yourself, you're starving. The way to fix that it to review the meal template and then make your meals to match... eat to the high end for a few days if you need to...

1-2 palms (your own palm's width x length x thickness) or eggs as discussed above when the sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... that's at least 3-4, and then added fat in the ratio according to the template of what fat you choose to eat... half to whole avocado, heaping handfuls of olives, mayo, mayo based dressings oil (not the cooking oil, that pretty much gets cooked off or left in the pan).

Eat more...

Hello all. Today I was so tired. Don't think it's from the new diet, just didn't sleep well for 2 nights in a row (not unusual for me). Had a headache this afternoon which got better after I ate dinner.

Bfast: 2 HB eggs, veggies, aidell's Apple chicken sausage

Lunch: same as yesterday though I added a small handful of almonds for fat

Dinner: grass fed sirloin (thanks trader joes), broccoli and guacamole leftover from yesterday.

Drank green tea today instead of coffee since pot wasn't ready by the time I needed to get out the door this morning. I don't think the tea gave me the caffeine perk I require to be functional.

How's everyone else doing?

Thanks Shannon!  I am slowly figuring out this forum organization - I think.  Your info definitely helped.  Survived day 2 but really have no appetite - this cold is wearing me out!  I hope to feel well enough to do some serious cooking in the next few days so I can get a bit more variety in my diet.  First real craving tonight - had what I thought was a good dinner [roasted chichen breast, sweet potato with ghee and cinnamon and mixed steamed veggies - broccoli, carrot, water chestnuts and snap peas - and some grapes] and a few hours later wanted a "something".  Preferably sweet.  So am on the computer instead, which is as far as I can get from the kitchen and still be in the house!

Good morning, May 2nders!

It's May 4th here in France - Day 3! We're 10% there! :)

This is my first W30 and boy am I so happy to have this group. No one I talk to in France is familiar with W30, but everyone is really interested/supportive. I focus on all the amazing whole foods I'm eating, how I'm never hungry, how it feels great to know everything that's going in. Does anyone know if there are plans to translate W30 into French for the French market?

I've been following the 7-day plan from the book and I have to say starting the day with veggies, protein and fats is a game changer. I usually ate organic oatmeal for breakfast - the energy returns from W30 in the morning are 100-fold (though eating chicken for breakfast is an adjustment).

I felt like I was cooking and eating all day the first day and was overwhelmed. Yesterday I reduced the prep by eating leftovers and getting help in the kitchen. Today I'll start the beef brisket in the afternoon so that it has 4 long hours to bake while I'm working. As this is my first W30, I understand that there is a time of transition while I manage more time in the kitchen.

I appreciate all the tips here for making life easier - thanks so much. Keep posting them!!

Has anyone noticed that coconut milk creams up best outside the fridge? Once i've opened a can, can I leave it out (in another container)?

Is it okay to keep animal fats that we've used for the next day? (I had leftover animal fat from chicken last night.)

Rather than making pesto for my chicken this morning (or last night as pre-prep; I work evenings so prep time is diminished), I used some of my left-over ranch dressing. Delicious!

Finally, should we plan on having avocado and a piece of fruit with every breakfast - I wasn't clear on that?

Have the best day ever!

Julie

Day 1 and 2 and the start of today are totally fine.  Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be a little difficult with a hockey tournament, work, hour swim, 3 hour bike, 30 min run and 1.5 hour run.  Ideal timing will not really be possible from a logistics standpoint and carrying nutrition on the bike will be difficult, but not impossible.  I make ground turkey and sweet potato patties that I will use along with lots of water and pure-salt pills for electrolyte balance.  

Thank goodness for Americanos....the Barista at Starbucks has been working with me to find the perfect combination.  We have settled on a Grande Americano in a Venti cup, filling it will extra water.  

I've been following the 7-day plan from the book and I have to say starting the day with veggies, protein and fats is a game changer. I usually ate organic oatmeal for breakfast - the energy returns from W30 in the morning are 100-fold (though eating chicken for breakfast is an adjustment).

Has anyone noticed that coconut milk creams up best outside the fridge? Once i've opened a can, can I leave it out (in another container)?

Finally, should we plan on having avocado and a piece of fruit with every breakfast - I wasn't clear on that?

Have the best day ever!

Julie

What a great way to start my day.

I always keep a can of coconut milk in the fridge and the cream goes to the top, but it might just settle in or out of the fridge.

You are only supposed to have fruit a few times a week. I can't have fruit at all as it increases my sugar demon cravings, but do what works for you. 

Day 1 and 2 and the start of today are totally fine.  Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be a little difficult with a hockey tournament, work, hour swim, 3 hour bike, 30 min run and 1.5 hour run.  Ideal timing will not really be possible from a logistics standpoint and carrying nutrition on the bike will be difficult, but not impossible.  I make ground turkey and sweet potato patties that I will use along with lots of water and pure-salt pills for electrolyte balance.  

I would suggest you look in the W30 for Athletes forum as a lot of them have found great ways to get good nutrition while working out and running marathons. 

Hi all! I started May 1 so I'm on my 4th day. This is my second Whole30. Last time I included too much fruit and I'm watching myself closely. I also slipped into a nasty date habit. They are compliant but sneaky sugar bombs. I am staying away from dates and not sure whether I will include Lara bars in this go-round.

Im excited to have found compliant almond milk and salad dressing in my grocery store. And some amazing marinara sauce! These three have made it very easy to throw a meal together.

Happy to have found this thread. The forum is very helpful!

I have looked and unfortunately, I see no Ironman posts.  We have a much more rigorous training than a marathon and multiple workouts in a day.  I see a couple Olympic and Sprint Triathletes, but that's a very small fraction as well.  In a few weeks I will be riding 6 hours straight.  It's mostly the timing, which no one can really do anything about.  Having 3 elite athlete children in the house and 70 hour work weeks plus 20 hours of training, does not give a whole lot of time for eating at the "right time".  I just have to do the best I can, which will not be "ideal" by the Whole30 standards and I'm ok with that.  If my allergies don't get better (which they did when I did it before), I won't be able to compete anyway.

It looks like a lot of people who start this have either not read the materials, or think that this is just another calorie restriction diet that has failed them in the past. You have to eat on this plan. Follow the rules, but EAT! And fat is not your enemy, and the more you get at the beginning the better you will adjust and the faster the transformation will occur.

Just my thoughts.

ChefMike

It looks like a lot of people who start this have either not read the materials, or think that this is just another calorie restriction diet that has failed them in the past. You have to eat on this plan. Follow the rules, but EAT! And fat is not your enemy, and the more you get at the beginning the better you will adjust and the faster the transformation will occur.

Just my thoughts.

ChefMike

Thanks for sharing ChefMike. 

You don't have any fat in your meal one, and probably not enough protein... if you make a fritatta, you need to eat a serving that is at least 2-3 eggs worth if you're having other protein and if you're not, then it needs to be 3-4 eggs worth. That means that a 9x13 pan made with 12 eggs gets you 3-4 servings if you're eating it as your sole protein.

What else did you have with your lunch besides lettuce and two carrots? the template asks for 1-3 cups... leafy greens don't count for much

Where's the fat in your meal 3?

I can tell you're not eating enough because you have to snack and as you've said yourself, you're starving. The way to fix that it to review the meal template and then make your meals to match... eat to the high end for a few days if you need to...

1-2 palms (your own palm's width x length x thickness) or eggs as discussed above when the sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... that's at least 3-4, and then added fat in the ratio according to the template of what fat you choose to eat... half to whole avocado, heaping handfuls of olives, mayo, mayo based dressings oil (not the cooking oil, that pretty much gets cooked off or left in the pan).

Eat more...

Thanks for the advice. Meal 2 had chicken salad. Meal 3 the fat was from coconut milk in the curry.

Today I ate a bigger portion of the frittata and it did help. I had some cucumber and guacamole on my short break at work because I knew I'd be hungry by the end of my shift but no more breaks. However, I really wasn't hungry when I ate it.

Lunch I had more curry chicken and a ton of sautéed veggies.

Woke up feeling all kinds of muscle aches and very drained, but feeling better now. Anyone else feeling tired? Anyone else feeling

Dear Friends,

I discovered a delicious protein/fat/vegetable or fruit combination:  tahini with sliced apple or carrots, or celery.  I understand limiting fruit as it becomes a quick energy/sugar.  Anyway, almond butter is so expensive and beware many contain sugar.  Sesame is so delicious.

Hi there,

I'm going to echo SugarCube regarding fat. During my first round I was really skeptical about only eating three meals a day too and between meals I was STARVING. When I was making my meals I was under the impression that the oil I was sauteing my veggies or ingredients in counted as the "fat" portion for my meal. Not a chance. This is counter-intuitive to everything we've learned in the modern world but FAT = FRIEND. I have learned that loading up on fat in my meals has made all of the difference in helping me stay satiated between meals for several hours. Below are a few samples of M1s that are an easy go to for me to give you an idea of how much fat I include:

1) Coffee blended with 1 T of coconut oil, half of an avocado, 2-3 eggs fried in a drizzle of olive oil, 1 cup of shredded yams or white potatoes

2) Coffee blended with 1 T of coconut oil, 1 apple, pulled pork (or any meat I have on hand), green beans, and half of an avocado/handful of almonds/cashews

I try not to rely too heavily on nuts as a fat source because it doesn't always do the trick for me. I've done a tablespoon or two of whole30 mayo too if I don't have an avocado on hand. 

The abovementioned meals usually keep me satisfied for 4-5 hours, which for me is a HUGE deal.

I hope that helps!

• Moderators

Dear Friends,

I discovered a delicious protein/fat/vegetable or fruit combination:  tahini with sliced apple or carrots, or celery.  I understand limiting fruit as it becomes a quick energy/sugar.  Anyway, almond butter is so expensive and beware many contain sugar.  Sesame is so delicious.

ooh, good tip!  Remember that nuts and seeds (and their butters) are also to be limited to one serving a day every other day at the most and fruit and butters together can become food without brakes for a lot of people.

Isn't coconut oil blended with coffee the best?  That will definitely be my coffee tomorrow morning!  

Breakfast - cafe americano (that I have since warmed up several times throughout my day) avocado halves baked with eggs in the center and a HUGE container of spinach sauteed

Lunch - chicken breast, grilled zucchini (lots)  sweet potato (lots)

Dinner - (packed since I have to do lunch and dinner at work) spinach salad with extra veggies and shrimp, hard boiled eggs

Feeling pretty full after lunch!

• Moderators

Isn't coconut oil blended with coffee the best?  That will definitely be my coffee tomorrow morning!  

Breakfast - cafe americano (that I have since warmed up several times throughout my day) avocado halves baked with eggs in the center and a HUGE container of spinach sauteed

Lunch - chicken breast, grilled zucchini (lots)  sweet potato (lots)

Dinner - (packed since I have to do lunch and dinner at work) spinach salad with extra veggies and shrimp, hard boiled eggs

Feeling pretty full after lunch!

Where's your fat with lunch and dinner tsperling?  Breakfast sounded great!

Just a quick note to say that the fats are keeping me very satiated, full, even. Clarified butter for the first time tonight and am excited about tomorrow.

Still following the Day 7 Plan and cannot say enough good things about it. It takes all the guesswork out of portions on veg/protein/fats. Following it has really helped me to get off on the right foot! Hoping to be able to plan Week 2 as well as the plan provided for us in Week 1!

I felt a little fuzzy brain-wise yesterday, but no headache, a little tiredness. But felt great today. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

Courage (as they say in France), everyone! 

Archived