5/2/16 Whole30 Group

tmhampton1

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there,

I'm going to echo SugarCube regarding fat. During my first round I was really skeptical about only eating three meals a day too and between meals I was STARVING. When I was making my meals I was under the impression that the oil I was sauteing my veggies or ingredients in counted as the "fat" portion for my meal. Not a chance. This is counter-intuitive to everything we've learned in the modern world but FAT = FRIEND. I have learned that loading up on fat in my meals has made all of the difference in helping me stay satiated between meals for several hours. Below are a few samples of M1s that are an easy go to for me to give you an idea of how much fat I include:

1) Coffee blended with 1 T of coconut oil, half of an avocado, 2-3 eggs fried in a drizzle of olive oil, 1 cup of shredded yams or white potatoes

2) Coffee blended with 1 T of coconut oil, 1 apple, pulled pork (or any meat I have on hand), green beans, and half of an avocado/handful of almonds/cashews

I try not to rely too heavily on nuts as a fat source because it doesn't always do the trick for me. I've done a tablespoon or two of whole30 mayo too if I don't have an avocado on hand. 

The abovementioned meals usually keep me satisfied for 4-5 hours, which for me is a HUGE deal.

I hope that helps!

Thank you! Didn't think of coconut oil in my coffee though I've had that before! I will work on the fat thing. Though when I look back over yesterday, the chicken salad was with mayo and dinner was with curry with coconut milk. So maybe my body is just adjusting..

This afternoon after lunch I didn't eat till 5:45!! I'm pretty amazed by that. A few times I felt kinda hungry, but I think it was habbit. So feeling much better about it.

Hello all!

I slept 10.5hrs last night and have been wanting to climb back in bed since I crawled out. Still have a headache, eating didn't fix it, coffee didn't fix it and so far lots of water hasn't fixed it. So far today:

BF: 3 egg scramble with a bucketful of spinach, tomatoes and basil

Lunch: leftover steak, chicken (steak wasn't enough for a full serving), leftover broccoli and delicious delicious whole 30 recipe mashed sweet potatoes with ghee and coconut milk. I think they might be dangerous for me because with the coconut milk they taste like dessert.

Dinner: too early still but planning on turkey burger patty with tomato, lettuce and guac, more of those yummy sweet potatoes and some sautéed whatever veggie I feel like.

I have not been working out this week to give my body a chance to acclimate to this way of eating. Next week I am going back to a 5am workout class. In terms of the pre and post workout meals. I am planning on having a HB egg pre workout, and post workout a sausage and sweet potato combo (that I plan to eat around 6:15 when I get home). I start work at 8:00, usually eating breakfast shortly after getting there. I feel like eating 3 times in such a short period is too much. I could probably push breakfast back to 10:00, but my lunch hour is 12:00-1:00. So if I do breakfast at 10, I'd need to wait until 2:00-3:00 to eat lunch. Fine, except I have appointments scheduled every 15-30mins after lunch so squeezing lunch between 2:00 and 3:00 will be challenging. And part of my problem is I eat very, very quickly and I'm trying to learn to slow down and enjoy my food instead of inhaling it. Anyone have any advice on scheduling meals when you throw a workout in first thing in the morning?

Thanks! Hope everyone is having a good day!

Hello all!

I slept 10.5hrs last night and have been wanting to climb back in bed since I crawled out. Still have a headache, eating didn't fix it, coffee didn't fix it and so far lots of water hasn't fixed it. So far today:

BF: 3 egg scramble with a bucketful of spinach, tomatoes and basil

Lunch: leftover steak, chicken (steak wasn't enough for a full serving), leftover broccoli and delicious delicious whole 30 recipe mashed sweet potatoes with ghee and coconut milk. I think they might be dangerous for me because with the coconut milk they taste like dessert.

Dinner: too early still but planning on turkey burger patty with tomato, lettuce and guac, more of those yummy sweet potatoes and some sautéed whatever veggie I feel like.

I have not been working out this week to give my body a chance to acclimate to this way of eating. Next week I am going back to a 5am workout class. In terms of the pre and post workout meals. I am planning on having a HB egg pre workout, and post workout a sausage and sweet potato combo (that I plan to eat around 6:15 when I get home). I start work at 8:00, usually eating breakfast shortly after getting there. I feel like eating 3 times in such a short period is too much. I could probably push breakfast back to 10:00, but my lunch hour is 12:00-1:00. So if I do breakfast at 10, I'd need to wait until 2:00-3:00 to eat lunch. Fine, except I have appointments scheduled every 15-30mins after lunch so squeezing lunch between 2:00 and 3:00 will be challenging. And part of my problem is I eat very, very quickly and I'm trying to learn to slow down and enjoy my food instead of inhaling it. Anyone have any advice on scheduling meals when you throw a workout in first thing in the morning?

Thanks! Hope everyone is having a good day!

Even if you have those pre/post then breakfast... You still have 4 hours after until lunch time. That seems reasonable to me.

Hi All,

Today was my third day of Whole 30.

Feeling tired and I let myself rest. I made meatballs and roasted a chicken for the week. I want to get more olives, avocado and greens.

I am already feeling less inflamed. I didn't walk today but will tomorrow.

Have a good night y'all and a good day tomorrow.

Well, I stayed on plan! Got a little beat up in my workout. I'm tired and have that come feeling coming on. So I'm going to bed earlier that I usually do and how that the reset button kicks in.

You'll get to fat adapted for sure. Just make sure you are eating pre and post workout. I've started to just bring a ziploc to the gym with me with a few bites of chicken and some potatoes. I do much better if I get my post W/O right after I finish. I eat it walking to the car. And then when I get home I immediately eat the next meal at the next time, even if it's 30 mins later. The post w/o meal is just a few bites. 

I was feeling a bit funky yesterday and just not inspired at all and realized that Uncle Tom is coming. I also haven't been sleeping well and just realized I've not been taking my magnesium supplement at night so that pretty much explains it for me. 

Today I woke up tired but expected that after last night. My stomach is finally starting to settle down again and I'm actually getting ready to eat breakfast.

I really need to write down what I'm eating for every meal so I can log it. I completely forget by the next morning and want to keep better track. 

We are 4 days in everybody. Don't get discouraged. I suggest, especially if this is your first time, that you read the Timeline to see kind of what you can expect for each few days. I really helped me prepare for the waves that I felt in my first W30. And reach out to the group for support and to vent. 

Welcome to Day 4! Here's what today has looked like over here in the south of France:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with coconut milk, cooked in duck fat, nice side of steamed spinach, a small handful of strawberries, black coffee w a little coconut milk (I find I prefer it black)

Lunch: Leftover beef brisket (2 palmfuls), leftover white cabbage salad with a tiny bit of sesame oil (big serving of salad), 7 organic, non-salted cashews (feeling very full!). Espresso after lunch (no sugar or milk of course - straight up!).

Dinner: Planning on baked salmon filets with broccoli, leftover zucchini, mushrooms and leftover Whole30 ranch dressing.

Finding I feel thirsty, am drinking water. I still also drink black coffee (as you can see above).

Tomorrow I'm going on a 2-hour walk/run, will be sure to eat before and after, as outlined in the Whole30 book. Am also having friends over for dinner (rather than going out and dealing with the stress of finding something I can eat) - so am looking for a good recipe for everyone (we are 5, with a child and 1 vegetarian). Thank goodness I have the Whole30 book. Suggestions welcome, of course!

Have a great day, everyone!

Hi All:  I started my first Whole30 May 2 after reading the book like 3 times.  I am pumped and doing this to feel and look better.  My husband is doing with me and he is trying not to complain.  We live in Missouri so weather is nice here and will be walking a lot too!!    Have to travel at end of month so a little worried about that because I don't want to blow it 3 days before the end date.....any suggestions???

Biggest suggestion is to look on the travel forum, as a lot of people have already listed places that are compliant to eat in a variety of locations. Also, make sure you ask how things are cooked and with what oils/butters. You'd be surprised. One of my favorite restaurants makes their potatoes by baking them first with salt and pepper for a few minutes and then deep frying them in veggie oil to actually cook them. I was shocked. 

Day 5 - how's everyone doing so far?

Yesterday was a struggle for me. I didn't want to eat and just felt very run down. Made sure I took the time to take care of myself and ate according to the template. Then I remembered to take my Natural Calm last night and slept amazing. I'm sure it's a combo of eating right and the magnesium. 

My allergies are much better, all I'm doing for them is diffusing some essential oils. My bloating is finally going down and my appetite is back today. I also popped right out of bed, even before my alarm. 

My experience is very similar to yours tmhampton. Yesterday was awful as I was so exhausted. Didn't want to get off the couch. Today, I too woke up before the alarm. At first I felt the same muscle aches, but nothing like day 3 and 4. Then as the day went on I've had so much energy! It's been awesome.

Now to meal plan for the next week :-/

I was feeling a bit run down yesterday on day 4 at work.  But better today again.  I was having trouble trying to figure out whether to eat at 4:30 in the morning which I did on Wed, and it was super hard.  So yesterday I tried eating at my normal break time at work at 8am and it was much better.  I tried the sweet potato for breakfast with ghee and cinnamon and really liked it.  I was off today, so my husband and I made a trip to Costco with a different set of eyes this time.

We picked up the things we could use and I bought some individual containers of guacamole that have onions, tomatoes, jalapeño peppers in it and tried mixing 

tuna in it instead of mayo.  It was delicious!!  I will definitely be doing that a lot.  

I've been roasting a lot of vegetables and I love eating them with my meals, as I don't always have to reheat leftovers...I can enjoy them just as well cold for lunch.  A little garlic, sea salt & pepper and they're great.

I've also restarted reformer pilates with a trainer after not doing it for a year and am really enjoying that as well, but need to get out walking more on my days off.

I seem to get plenty in on most of my work days.  

I'm going out of town overnight to see my mother for Mother's Day, so I'm prepping some things to take with me.  She and my husband will probably do other

food but I'm planning to stick to the plan 100%!

I have to say I've only once been hungry between meals and I realized I hadn't included the fats, so glad to have learned something ;-)

Welcome to Day 6! How is everyone?

Yesterday I hiked with friends for 2.5 hours, and though I was last, I made it. The coach wanted to give me a granola bar with sugar to help me, but I insisted that I didn't want it. I ate according to the post-workout recommendations afterwards and felt good. Tired, but good. I made a whole30 compliant dinner for 5, and while they were drinking wine and lemoncello, I drank the raspberry sparkling water found in the whole30 book. Such a great suggestion to have something special myself while they were on wine!

Going great guns today - breakfasted on kitchen sink scrambled eggs and had the pork and spicy applesauce lunch (my husband, who is not doing whole30 loves all these great recipes - especially today's lunch!). As the fat seemed low in the lunch recipe, I had a handful of shredded coconut to round out the meal. No hunger!

Tonight planning on the salmon and soft egg with salad and hollandaise sauce. It's our 11th anniversary, and we feel like we're eating like royalty at home on whole30!

We went shopping earlier for the next few days, and I found it easier. I planned out the week through Wednesday using the whole30 book and will go shopping again on Thursday. I find shopping for 4-5 days easier than 7 for some reason. The French look at me cross-eyed when I ask for some things, but it's okay. My husband is now reading all the labels and knows I can't have anything with sugar, cornstarch, sulfites, etc. It's great to have his help!

Hoping all is well for all of you! I love reading your updates!

Julie

Yay Saturday!  I had a bout of fatigue on my first Whole30 attempt, crashing by 9pm and earlier.  It passed quickly--less than the week. 

My grocery store carries small natural chickens, so I bought a little bird 2.5 pounds and roasted it last night with red potatoes, carrots, onion, seasoned with sage, red pepper flakes (put this on everything) garlic salt and black pepper, coconut oil around the vegetables and drizzled on top of the bird. Took less than 1 hr.  Preheat oven 450, when ready, put in bird and reduce to 350.  My teen son said, "THIS is what I like!"  He calls any vegetable "kale" with disdain even though I never served kale.  By association, he has been eating Whole30 meals.  Ha!  He never liked pasta or rice which I served with everything.  I'm so glad I don't do that anymore. I am feeling better than I can remember!  On my first attempt (April 11),  I really missed red wine, but realized I was drinking too much.  It's easy and sad to climb into a bottle at the end of the day.  Now, I don't even think about it.  I hope I stay away from it afterward. I envision staying on a Whole30/Paleo program till someone shoots me.

Whole30 has helped open my eyes to food products, and I'm suspicious.  I'm not alone. Grocery stores here are carrying many more organic produce and ethically-raised animal products. 

On day 6 and hanging in there.  For some reason, I haven't been having the ups and downs that some of you have reported, but this darn cold is still hanging on and I spend half the day coughing, so it may just be overwhelming everything else.  My biggest gripe so far is I haven't found anything I can drink [that I like] except plain water.  Tried flavored water, various teas and other stuff and just hate all of it.  I don't drink coffee.  On the other hand, made Shepherd's pie from the Whole30 book last night and it was great.  Hubby, who is not participating, went for seconds!  I will definitely make it again.  Hope you are all doing great as we head into the weekend.

Sparkling water/seltzer is great. It's a luxury/not a necessary expense.  My son loves Pelligrino sparkling juice/pomegranate.  Pricey, but a delicious treat. I'm pretty sure there's no added sugar.  He will choose it over Dr. Pepper!  ha.

Saluti! My husband and I started Whole30 on the 2nd of May as well and have been successful so far! While we were pretty healthy eaters and active before, both of us ended up with colds and his allergies worsened. Today my five mile run was the hardest I have ever done (even more so than multiple half marathons) and its my normal route! BUT, we are so ecstatic for the process and the good this plan is doing for us. Thank you for the support, the timeline, recipes (been fun to try new ways of cooking) and all the science-y stuff! As a PT myself, I appreciate the detail, significant research, client feedback and great articles! Can't wait to start using this for my patients too! Grazie!

• Moderators

Welcome to Day 6! How is everyone?

Yesterday I hiked with friends for 2.5 hours, and though I was last, I made it. The coach wanted to give me a granola bar with sugar to help me, but I insisted that I didn't want it. I ate according to the post-workout recommendations afterwards and felt good. Tired, but good. I made a whole30 compliant dinner for 5, and while they were drinking wine and lemoncello, I drank the raspberry sparkling water found in the whole30 book. Such a great suggestion to have something special myself while they were on wine!

Going great guns today - breakfasted on kitchen sink scrambled eggs and had the pork and spicy applesauce lunch (my husband, who is not doing whole30 loves all these great recipes - especially today's lunch!). As the fat seemed low in the lunch recipe, I had a handful of shredded coconut to round out the meal. No hunger!

Tonight planning on the salmon and soft egg with salad and hollandaise sauce. It's our 11th anniversary, and we feel like we're eating like royalty at home on whole30!

We went shopping earlier for the next few days, and I found it easier. I planned out the week through Wednesday using the whole30 book and will go shopping again on Thursday. I find shopping for 4-5 days easier than 7 for some reason. The French look at me cross-eyed when I ask for some things, but it's okay. My husband is now reading all the labels and knows I can't have anything with sugar, cornstarch, sulfites, etc. It's great to have his help!

Hoping all is well for all of you! I love reading your updates!

Julie

Good job noticing that the fat wasn't sufficient and adding more to your meal! That's what we love to see!

Thanks for the suggestion Maureen, but I haven't ever been able to stomach fizzy water.  So plain water it is for the next 3 weeks.  I suspect my first reintroduction will be artificial  sweetener of some kind  :wacko: although I'm sure some would not approve.

• Moderators

On day 6 and hanging in there.  For some reason, I haven't been having the ups and downs that some of you have reported, but this darn cold is still hanging on and I spend half the day coughing, so it may just be overwhelming everything else.  My biggest gripe so far is I haven't found anything I can drink [that I like] except plain water.  Tried flavored water, various teas and other stuff and just hate all of it.  I don't drink coffee.  On the other hand, made Shepherd's pie from the Whole30 book last night and it was great.  Hubby, who is not participating, went for seconds!  I will definitely make it again.  Hope you are all doing great as we head into the weekend.

Have you tried infused water? That may be what you mean by flavored water, I'm not sure, but all you do is slice up some fruit or vegetables or herbs in a pitcher of water and put it in the fridge overnight. When you drink the water, it will have the flavor of whatever fruit you used. I like cucumber water -- put a few slices of cucumber and a sliced up whole lemon in the water -- not sweet, but very refreshing when it's hot.

That said, plain water is really best for you and what you should be drinking the most of, so you don't really need other things.

Have you tried infused water? That may be what you mean by flavored water, I'm not sure, but all you do is slice up some fruit or vegetables or herbs in a pitcher of water and put it in the fridge overnight. When you drink the water, it will have the flavor of whatever fruit you used. I like cucumber water -- put a few slices of cucumber and a sliced up whole lemon in the water -- not sweet, but very refreshing when it's hot.

That said, plain water is really best for you and what you should be drinking the most of, so you don't really need other things.

My favorite is lime water. Just one slice per liter, and I actually use the same slice for several liters. I just drop the slice in, no squeezing. Just makes it that much easier to get many liters in throughout the day!

Archived