5/2/16 Whole30 Group

tmhampton1

Sorry I was MIA all weekend, I'll for sure do better.

Glad to hear that everyone is doing so well. The hubbster and I did great over the weekend. We cooked at home and ate compliant meals all weekend. My mother's day treat was a bowl of fruit with lunch and some coconut cream on top. 

I prepped some chicken and all my veggies on Sat so I'm ready for the week. And this week I start exercising so it should be interesting. I normally walk the dogs in the AM (2.64 miles) but my heart rate doesn't get up there so I don't count it as exercise. I'm going to start the couch25k program this week so that's running 3 times a week. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well my husband is ready to quit. He is reading about dairy right now in It Starts With Food to help him understand why we're giving it up. But he is really struggling. He doesn't feel any better and doesn't like eating vegetables :-(

That is hard, Bethany, but at least he is trying it.  My DH wouldn't even consider the idea, but is OK with eating whatever I am for dinner.  He makes his own breakfast and doesn't eat lunch - so I just ignore what he is eating.  Although it is hard to watch him snack ;-(   I guess if I were you, I would encourage your husband to stick with it, but if he decides not to, you can certainly continue without him participating.  Maybe when he sees the benefits you reap, he'll decide to try again.

Hi everyone - I started my Whole30 on 5/2/16 but had problems getting the validation link on my usual email so it took me some time getting here.  I have to say, 1 week in, I have been following the guidance, recipes and week 1 menu in the Whole30 book to a tee and I absolutely love the food.  I am a recovering yo-yo dieter who really has/had given up on losing weight and decided to do the Whole30 just so I could be like my husband and say "food is just sustenance" and also want to knock down my blood pressure that has come up significantly in the last year.  I was tired of trying to figure out foods that we liked and that was healthy but that my skinny (but maybe not healthy) better half and college aged adult children would eat.  I told them I was doing this and cooking only 1 meal -- if they needed their junk they know where the grocery and McDonalds/Wendys, etc are located.  They have been eating the same as I have and love the food as well. 

We haven't been hungry or had any cravings.  Our energy is back to normal and only a few days of headaches, all of which has subsided now.  It's just amazing to me coming from a diet of bagels, Splenda-infused beverages, creamers full of chemicals...I could go on, that I even like the food, let alone love it.  Maybe I'm on a Whole30 high and it will subside soon -- but I hope not.  So glad to be able to get into the forum. 

Hiya!

Real quick as it's late in France ... still doing well. I'm on my first week of planning my own meals, and I'm looking for other breakfast options. Dinner leftovers with extra ingredients is of course an option and very easy! I have the Whole30 book and use it all the time - just wanting something more than fritattas and scrambled eggs. Ideas? (I should go back up the stream and I think in our first email there was a host of links to Whole30 compliant recipes.)

Had leftover diner breakfast today (my absolute fav) for breakfast, leftover cilantro steak and salad and avocado for lunch and tonight Melissa's chicken mash with a handful of olives. Still feeling hungry (for the first time in 8 days). It's bedtime, so I'm not going to eat, but will have a glass of water.

My family LOVES the food and refuse to call what we're eating a DIET. For them, it feels like Christmas - all these delicious home-cooked meals!

Courage to everyone - keep letting us know how you're doing! It helps to know we're not alone. :)

Julie

Well, he didn't quit! He read a decent chunk of ISWF and I know that helped. But it also is daunting for him. He thinks of long term and if dairy isn't good for you...well its hard to imagine long term without that! I'm trying to get him to focus on the next 3 weeks. He also says he doesn't feel any better. Hopefully soon. And I'm going to try to get him to eat closer to the meal template, though its challenging with a picky eater.

I on the other hand am feeling good! And though the kitchen work is a lot, I'm enjoying it and am really proud of myself for all the things I've made from scratch!

How's everyone else feeling? I'm proud of you all too!

I'm feeling pretty darn good. Started waking up before the alarm the past two days and am up and ready to go. I've been sleeping better, especially if I don't load up on nightshades at night and take my magnesium. 

I'm glad your husband didn't quit. And I would remind him that he can reintroduce dairy and may not have any issues with it. Follow the reintroduction guide and see what he can and can't tolerate. (I didn't follow the reintro guide and failed horribly, but starting again I was able to get my husband to do this with me.) I know people who eat Paleo but can tolerate some dairy in their diets with no problems at all, so he might be one of those people.

Julie - I would do a google search of W30 breakfasts. There are actually a lot of options out there, just make sure they all follow the guidelines. I love my eggs and don't mind eating them everyday, but some days I do eat a nice burger with avocado and maybe a poached egg on top. 

I'm feeling pretty darn good. Started waking up before the alarm the past two days and am up and ready to go. I've been sleeping better, especially if I don't load up on nightshades at night and take my magnesium. 

I'm glad your husband didn't quit. And I would remind him that he can reintroduce dairy and may not have any issues with it. Follow the reintroduction guide and see what he can and can't tolerate. (I didn't follow the reintro guide and failed horribly, but starting again I was able to get my husband to do this with me.) I know people who eat Paleo but can tolerate some dairy in their diets with no problems at all, so he might be one of those people.

Julie - I would do a google search of W30 breakfasts. There are actually a lot of options out there, just make sure they all follow the guidelines. I love my eggs and don't mind eating them everyday, but some days I do eat a nice burger with avocado and maybe a poached egg on top. 

Thanks so much for the tip - I'll get to Googling! And I'll make triple sure what I find is compliant!

I know we have a ways to go before we start thinking reintroduction, but one thing to keep in mind with dairy is that many people are lactose intolerant and don't know it.  I have been since I was a child, but have no problem [that I know of - we'll see in a few weeks] with lactose free dairy.  So for those of you who love dairy, you might start with a lactose free product [yogurt is low in lactose, but not lactose free] and see how that affects you.  If it is OK, then go for the regular kind.  And lactose free tastes exactly like regular dairy.

Forgot to mention husband and I are from Colorado and this is or first go at Whole30....& we are loving it! We love to cook anyway and this has offered us some new creative options in the kitchen. We have four children ages 9,7,5 & 3 and slowly starting to transition them too. The 7 year old loves the zoodles! Thanks for the prepping tips, they will help! Also, we have a bit of ground turkey that we eat, is that an adequate fat? Keep the posts coming, they've been great!

Hi everyone!  

I haven't posted on this thread yet but I started my first Whole30 on May 2nd with all of you. I'm from Northern California and am a mom to 4 kiddos. My hubby is trying the W30 with me although he isn't convinced yet. But he's sticking to it for now so hopefully it'll win him over. :) 

I was a fairly healthy eater prior to this but cutting out all grains and watching out for those hidden sugars have been the biggest changes to my previous way of eating. I've been getting better sleep than I have in a long time and my energy level has been great as well. But I started having stomach issues on day 1 and the issues haven't totally gone away yet. I'm going to start keeping a food log to double check that I'm combining things appropriately to try to figure out the issue. I also stopped eating nuts and fruit after reading that they might be the culprit so we'll see how I feel in the next few days. 

It's good to have support through this forum. Thanks for starting the thread! 

But I started having stomach issues on day 1 and the issues haven't totally gone away yet. I'm going to start keeping a food log to double check that I'm combining things appropriately to try to figure out the issue. I also stopped eating nuts and fruit after reading that they might be the culprit so we'll see how I feel in the next few days. 

It's good to have support through this forum. Thanks for starting the thread! 

If you post a few days of your meals the admins can help you trouble shoot. Also, what types of trouble are you having and has it gone on for the full 8 days? When I did my first W30 I had some diarrhea and bloating. The first took about 2 weeks and I ended up purchasing a digestive enzyme to help with the issue, but I have digestive issues from unresolved gall bladder disease for so long. (It came out 6 years ago but left some damage to my small intestine). I also had some serious bloating that lasted longer than the timeline and realized I was eating way more starchy carbs then my body could handle. Once I limited it to truly one serving a day according to the template, the bloating resolved itself in a few days. 

Hope that helps. If you go through the troubleshooting forum, there are a lot of posts about tummy trouble so you might get some more insight. 

Are we really starting day 10 today?!? Woo Hoo!!!! We are 1/3 of the way there.

Last night I walked into the living room and saw my husband with a beer in his hand...I was shocked. He told me he had a rough day and then got up to get an ice cream sandwich. He asked me to go get him a Blizzard and I said no.

I was able to stand strong and have been compliant so far. We had some great taco with lettuce wrap (homemade taco seasoning) and I found a recipe for compliant  spanish cauliflower rice that was so good. We have left overs so I know what I'll be eating tomorrow. I need to get better about my fats. I was on the low side yesterday for lunch and really started getting hungry way to early. I also have been fighting a sugar tooth since eating fruit for mother's day so I need to just cut that out completely. 

Hope everyone else is doing well. 

Great job saying no toyour husband! It sound be hard to see him eating that stuff.

I noticed a few times I've been bloated. For some reason I feel like its the fat. Could that be it? Or maybe starches as previously mentioned, but I don't think its been after eating that.

I've been surprised that I've gone without sugar for so long without it being harder. I mean yes, it sounds good but overall saying no hasn't been too hard! At leat yet...

• Moderators

Great job saying no toyour husband! It sound be hard to see him eating that stuff.

I noticed a few times I've been bloated. For some reason I feel like its the fat. Could that be it? Or maybe starches as previously mentioned, but I don't think its been after eating that.

I've been surprised that I've gone without sugar for so long without it being harder. I mean yes, it sounds good but overall saying no hasn't been too hard! At leat yet...

Bloating is not usually from fat... are you eating a lot of raw veggies, salad greens, fizzy water? Post a few days of what you've been eating if you like and we can take a look and see if there's somewhere that we can tweak to get the bloat to calm down.

Hi gang!  Wow did I have a doozy of a day on Sat before Mother's Day.  Woke up tired, dizzy, nauseous, bloated, loose poo and stayed like that all day!

It was not fun and I was out of town visiting my mom in assisted living.  I had packed everything I needed for food for the weekend, but had a very difficult time

eating.  I slept really solid that night and woke up super refreshed and normal Sunday thank goodness.  Glad it was only one day!  I've been doing well since.

We took this week off to work in the yard cleaning up and planting pots, baskets, barking, etc.  75 degrees here in the beautiful pacific northwest!  Loving it and

having lots of energy.  I haven't tried any recipes yet, just kind of winging it as is my usual way.  Have cooked for so many years now, I just throw things together.

And with being in the yard all day, I don't have time for the planning.  But I am needing to head back to the store to restock.  On some cooler days I'll try to get

into some of these recipes that you're talking about.

Question.....does weight loss eventually come about?  I haven't been weighing myself, but would like to see changes on my body or the way clothes fit.  And

really want the weight loss in the end.

I have another question about the log-in.   Not a computer nut, so always a challenge.  I want to update to a real password of my choosing, but I keep having to do a copy and paste of a whole bunch of numbers and letters....really frustrating and tedious.

Hi everybody! It's Day 12!!!! Woo hoo!!

OK, so I'm a big EAT-MOVE-SLEEP believer - that all 3 have to be priorities for my greatest well-being. And normally, I have a fantastic schedule that allows me to take care of all 3 - exercise 5-6 times a week, eat well, sleep 7-8 hours a night. 

But I had a huge deadline this morning and had to stay up most of the night. I slept 3.5 hours. Guess what! I'm hungry! Isn't that funny? Sleep deprivation = hunger = unhealthy choices. The good news is that I am still on the program. I did miss breakfast this morning due to the deadline, but ate a good healthy lunch and will be eating salmon and zucchini and leeks and onions for dinner (and fats). I had my first snack this afternoon on the whole program - a small handful of organic cashews. But I don't want to teach my brain that snacking is what I should do when I'm tired. What I should do is sleep! (And I took 2 20-minute naps today.)

Thinking of all of you and hoping you are all well and still with us! We can DO this!

Julie

Great job Julie. I was seeing a therapist a few years ago and she told me that any time we act in a way we find to be "destructive" (I use the term loosely because it can stand for many things like acting out and what not) to always remember HALT! She said that most times the behavior was due to one of the 4 items and for me it works 100% of the time.

H = Hungry

A = Angry

L = Lonely

T = Tired

• Moderators

H = Hungry

A = Angry

L = Lonely

T = Tired

I LOVE this!  What a good way to assess what could be causing a 'mood'.  I had a 'mood' the other day before going to my therapist and I stormed into his office and declared that I was 'irrationally crabby'... it turned out to be a trigger moment but if I had been able to use this, we could have gotten to the root much faster... I knew I wasn't hungry, lonely or tired... that's really cool, thanks!

Very welcome Sugarcube. It has kept me from fighting, or better yet picking fights with my husband. When something not so nice is about to come out of my mouth I will often think to this. I was so happy she shared it with me. And it makes me actually Stop to think about it just by saying the word in my mind. 

Hi everybody!

Day 15! Really? We're AMAZING! How is everyone feeling?

I was reading in our daily email today that we might have looser clothes and more energy, but I was pretty lean to begin with and already had a lot of energy. The last few days I've been dealing with less energy (read more tired!). Is it the fewer carbs? Today I had leftover shrimp and veggies for breakfast, a salmon frittata and raw veggies and a side of fruit for lunch and the whole30 chili and fats for dinner.

Thinking maybe I should roast some potatoes or sweet potatoes tomorrow to help.

Any other ideas?

How's everyone feeling? Got the tiger blood? :)

Julie

Our group seems to be dropping off....have you moved elsewhere?

Finally a cool day here, so I'm staying inside and fixing foods for a change.  I need to prepare things for my work week now that vacation is coming to an end :-(

I was hoping someone would answer the questions I had earlier.

From a cousin who is also doing this, but a week ahead, she gave me a great tip for coffee, called bulleted coffee.  You put your coffee and coconut oil

in a blender and give it a whirl.  Makes it soooo creamy!

Hey how is everyone?

No advice for you Julie, but hoping you find some tiger blood soon!

I loooove my coffee blended with coconut cream.

We are doing well, but have eaten more Lara bars and epic bars as we've been on the go a ton wmthis weekend with family in town and a festival. I have amazingly cooked for them almost every meal. Something I never would have done before.

I'm dealing with tons of gas :-( and I never have that issue. I felt good stomach wise, the first ten days but now its all belated and gas. The husband is still on track! Though not eating enough still...and definitely lost some pounds.

Archived