Salmon and added fat

dmartino

In order to fit whole 30 into my budget I am meal planning to an insane degree in advance. I am curious, if I am using salmon or another fatty fish as my entree do I need to add an additional source of fat in order to follow the template? Or does the fat in the food count? I just think I may need a break from mayo, avocados and olives at some point in the 30 days.

Yup, salmon is an oily fish but you'd still need an additional fat source in order to stay adequately satiated.

Bacon works well with salmon if you can find compliant stuff.

And there are all kinds of dressings you can make with mayo as your base...

I tested the "you still need to add fat to fatty meals" advice. I couldn't imagine that I needed to add fat to my greasy pulled pork (made from the shoulder of a lard hog and nothing trimmed or skimmed off) or to my skin-on chicken thighs. Either tiredness, early hunger or a headache always reminded me that you really do need a lot of fat in your meals!

That said, I got sick of avocados and olives in week 1. I haven't had any since (day 29 now!). I also don't like coconut oil except for a few choice applications (unfortunately, my favorite being used to make popcorn!). That really limits me. I do love mayo and it can be turned into a lot of creamy dressings. I used coconut milk (not oil!) to replace cream in some of my favorite recipes. It gave things a fun Thai fusion flare. I drizzled lots of stuff in flavored olive oils. Cooked everything in copious lard or ghee as well.

The easiest way for me to get a fat into a meal when I just didn't see how it would fit in otherwise was to make a small salad (this was not included as part of my vegetables!), just enough to absorb a tbsp or so of mayo dressing.

Archived