Starting May 9

Chef Mike

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I had a major tantrum over a relatively small issue that normally doesn't worry me too much. I think that was a 'kill all things' reaction and was very out of character for me. This morning (day 6) I felt hungry then really nauseous, quite horrible. It did subside after some mint tea, but I haven't had that feeling for a long time. I've had a baked potato for lunch and now feel completely fine, could it have been a low carb effect? I did a 5km running race during the week and wonder if I have overdone it or not eaten enough. I walk about 5 miles a day in the course of my work and also do a couple of classes as well as a couple of runs during the week. The real upside for me right now is how much clearer my mind and memory feel already - that is very exciting!

I don't know if it will help you, but 100% unsweetened cacao is an approved food. They just recommend you don't eat it if it will act as a "gateway drug" to cheating. You know yourself better than anyone else. If you think adding some 100% organic cacao powder to your coffee or a little coconut milk will make you crave a chocolate bar, then obviously you would want to avoid it. My wife and I make "Aztec Hot Chocolate" a lot during the winter (cacao, cinnamon, and a little cayenne pepper), and it's never made me crave sweets or a chocolate bar. You could even slice up some strawberries and sprinkle the powder over the top. Cacao is full of flavanoids and minerals, usually touted as an antioxidant rich super food. There are research studies both in favor and against that idea, but that's beyond the scope of the topic at hand.

Wow bmass! Your Aztec hot chocolate sounds like a dream come true. I'm a little afraid to try it, feeling like I might become addicted! :) maybe next week. ... after I have a few more days of the program under my belt!

Last night I had a major tantrum over a relatively small issue that normally doesn't worry me too much. I think that was a 'kill all things' reaction and was very out of character for me. This morning (day 6) I felt hungry then really nauseous, quite horrible. It did subside after some mint tea, but I haven't had that feeling for a long time. I've had a baked potato for lunch and now feel completely fine, could it have been a low carb effect? I did a 5km running race during the week and wonder if I have overdone it or not eaten enough. I walk about 5 miles a day in the course of my work and also do a couple of classes as well as a couple of runs during the week. The real upside for me right now is how much clearer my mind and memory feel already - that is very exciting!

Janpuzzle, it's so good to hear stories like yours a few days before they happen to me. I guess I need to warn my daughter!

I wonder if things will be the same for me. I quit most carbs and most sugars, alcohol and dairy a couple weeks before starting the program so it wouldn't be such a shock to my system. Only time will tell!

I wonder if things will be the same for me. I quit most carbs and most sugars, alcohol and dairy a couple weeks before starting the program so it wouldn't be such a shock to my system. Only time will tell!

That was very smart of you!

Today I went to a restaurant for the first time on Whole30. It was no problem getting my eggs without dairy, and when I said I didn't want any toast the waiter offered me grilled tomatoes instead!

My mood is pretty good. My sleep is normal for me, which isn't great. I'm looking forward to that improving.

I love being able to eat until I'm satisfied. Hunger has derailed many an attempt at "healthier" eating.

Today was a really bad day (car troubles, car COSTS) and usually when I have a bad day, I want to drown in ice cream. Today, I just want a sweet potato and tea and a book. So I call my new "comfort cravings" a little good in this otherwise not so good day.

Happy Whole30 progress to everyone!

Today was a really bad day (car troubles, car COSTS) and usually when I have a bad day, I want to drown in ice cream. Today, I just want a sweet potato and tea and a book. So I call my new "comfort cravings" a little good in this otherwise not so good day.

Happy Whole30 progress to everyone!

As a follow-up (because this was haunting me), I find myself so full from my breakfast and lunch that even though the craving is there, with this program and its suggested no snacking, I'm forced to really think about my hunger status. Do I really need to eat or am I just wired after years of habit to eat when I'm stressed? Checking....Yup, it's the pre-wiring. Like the book suggests, I had to ask myself, can I go home and eat that chicken I roasted yesterday and the prepped greens? Nope, still stuffed so clearly, you aren't hungry. So stick with your tea and a book.

I never asked myself that question before. And if I did, I sure didn't listen to my answer. I ate because that's what I wanted to do.  I ate because that was my preferred and default coping method. It's been, what, about week on this program? If I gain nothing else but the awareness of hunger vs. EAT ALL THE THINGS, I still see that as a win.

Thanks all for this forum of support! It's so nice to be able to write these things and share with people on the same journey!!   

Day 6 went well for us. Interesting thing that I noted today. All the males in my family have a long history of acid reflux and heartburn. Mine had been getting really bad the last few years to the point where Tums and even Zantac weren't helping. I told my wife last month that I was probably going to talk to my doctor about Prilosec or another PPI acid reducer (everyone else in my family is already on them and I was holding out). Funny thing, since we started W30, I haven't had any reflux or heartburn. Not once. It's been every day for at least the last year, and in the last 5 days, I haven't had any. It's been wonderful. Anyway, just thought I'd share. 

I made stuffed peppers last night (ground pork, spinach, celery, garlic, spices as the filling) and we ate the left over filling for lunch and dinner today with other vegetables. Not real exciting, but it was in line with the rules. 

• Moderators

Day 6 went well for us. Interesting thing that I noted today. All the males in my family have a long history of acid reflux and heartburn. Mine had been getting really bad the last few years to the point where Tums and even Zantac weren't helping. I told my wife last month that I was probably going to talk to my doctor about Prilosec or another PPI acid reducer (everyone else in my family is already on them and I was holding out). Funny thing, since we started W30, I haven't had any reflux or heartburn. Not once. It's been every day for at least the last year, and in the last 5 days, I haven't had any. It's been wonderful. Anyway, just thought I'd share. 

I made stuffed peppers last night (ground pork, spinach, celery, garlic, spices as the filling) and we ate the left over filling for lunch and dinner today with other vegetables. Not real exciting, but it was in line with the rules.

Wow! That is amazing! I"m so glad you found us before the PPI... I"ve heard incredibly unpleasant things about those types of drugs and the rebound effects... do you think that your family will be interested in your results? That's pretty incredible for five days! Imagine how good you'll feel in another 25!

Wow! That is amazing! I"m so glad you found us before the PPI... I"ve heard incredibly unpleasant things about those types of drugs and the rebound effects... do you think that your family will be interested in your results? That's pretty incredible for five days! Imagine how good you'll feel in another 25!

My dad would probably at least hear me out. My 95 yo old grandfather, however, is pretty much set in his ways and will be happy with his prilosec and apple pie until the day he dies. To him, pie is life, and he'd never go 30 days without it. 

Help! I'm on day 6. My skin is breaking out. Bad. Painful cystic bumps (gross, I know) on my chin. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's awful and I look huge in the mirror (exaggeration) but that's how it looks to me. My face is fuffy. Arms. Aahhh...I'm starting to get freaked out.

• Moderators

Help! I'm on day 6. My skin is breaking out. Bad. Painful cystic bumps (gross, I know) on my chin. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's awful and I look huge in the mirror (exaggeration) but that's how it looks to me. My face is fuffy. Arms. Aahhh...I'm starting to get freaked out.

Deep breath... you're fine.... detoxing can do this to a person... bloat is common, feeling puffy is common and unfortunately skin breakouts are common... keep eating 3 template meals a day, drink the recommended 1/2oz of water per pound of bodyweight, take some deep breaths and power on!

• Moderators

My dad would probably at least hear me out. My 95 yo old grandfather, however, is pretty much set in his ways and will be happy with his prilosec and apple pie until the day he dies. To him, pie is life, and he'd never go 30 days without it.

Oh gosh! I would NEVER try and take pie away from a 95 year old... he's earned that pie!

This is such a great thread! Thanks to all for your candor.

I too am feeling quite full on a more regular basis. (On Day 3 now) I eat more than usual because I don't want to snack. And my next meal I eat everything because I don't want to get hungry... heaven forbid.... and I don't want to snack. Also, I try never to waste food. I guess I'm going to have to get over that and figure out my portions better.

Bmaass, so glad to hear about the acid reflux becoming a non-issue. I have a cast iron stomach, so that is rarely a problem here.

The trouble I do have is maybe less common. I have a super noisy tummy. Boborythmia? Something like that. Maybe I will get quieter!! My coworker can hear my tummy from 25 feet away. Seriously.

Did some of my Sunday prep: frozen broccoli in the oven to roast, coffee on, jumped in the shower. Broccoli almost done when I got back to the kitchen so started my sweet potato hash. Fresh green beans into the oven while I prepped some chicken thighs. They cooked while I ate breakfast. I have a few more things to do later but have a good jump on it - all while I showered, made and ate breakfast.

Happy as I head into day 7 that my rosacea has calmed. The real test will be my outdoor time on this sunny,windy day in New England.

Hope you all are starting to see some of what you are hoping for as we end our first week!

SugarcubeOD, thank you for your kind reply. I feel more calm this morning. My chin looks pretty bad but most of all it hurts. (I assume seeing my dermatologist for cortisone shots would be anti-Whole30?). Also, thank you for the water reminder. I haven't been drinking enough water which could be part of the bloating.

• Moderators

SugarcubeOD, thank you for your kind reply. I feel more calm this morning. My chin looks pretty bad but most of all it hurts. (I assume seeing my dermatologist for cortisone shots would be anti-

Whole30?). Also, thank you for the water reminder. I haven't been drinking enough water which could be part of the bloating.

You CAN go get cortisone shots but if you can stick it out for a few more days, my suspicion is that you'd see the condition start to get better... That's not to say you may not eventually need the shots but food is the best medicine and perhaps you can reduce the frequency, dosage etc... if you stick out the Whole30... dermatological conditions are one of the really hormone/inflammation driven conditions so it stands to reason that it might have a flare but should settle down and you should see some relief. That said, none here are doctors and you're in charge of you, so if you feel you need the shot, definitely get it and no, it would not be anti-whole30. Doctor's orders/treatments trump the whole30.

I'ts Day 7! I've gone a week without sugar! I have not done that ever before. And I don't really miss it. I miss the thought of it. I know how good dark chocolate tastes, but I'm not desperately craving it. Today after church they had brownies and rice crispy treats. Two weeks ago I would have had one of each. Today I made a cup of green tea, which kept my hands busy, and found people to talk to away from the sweets. Stopped at Whole Foods on the way home and got meat and produce. This afternoon I'm going to prep. I didn't do that last week, and I think it will help.

One thing I'm noticing is how nice it is to make a nice meal and enjoy all the parts of it. Prepping is part of the meal. Making the table look nice is part of it. Really enjoying the taste and texture of the food is part of it. We grilled burgers and sauteed onions and mushrooms. We had some crunchy dill pickles, and homemade mayo and ketchup. And we had a bowl full of mango, banana, and pineapple, sprinkled with coconut and doused with coconut milk. I guess this means I'm beginning to see how these 30 days can change my relations ship to food. It can take away all the guilt and embarassment and leave all the pleasure and satisfaction. Sign me up for that!

Leigh Anne, I'm so glad to hear of your triumphs! I'm inspired to Cleary table better. I wish my daughter would join me in this adventure but she's so dang stubborn. I KNOW she would benefit from this program!

Hello May 9ers! I made it a week! So did hubby... although the sugar dragon was definitely sneaking around. The most challenging part has been all the prep and all the dishes! eep! But the food has been so delicious! Hubby is lamenting that he wants to eat his snacks, but is hanging in there with no intention of stopping for a while. My stomach is thanking me! Digestive system is working again! Hoorah! Bloating and stomach pain that I ALWAYS have is gone. My daughter (who introduced me to Whole30) was brave, as I had my four grandkids to watch on "Kill all the things" days, and it took all my strength to cook clean and care for littles, but it all went well. Now we are relaxing and I am looking for new recipes for next week.

Archived