Portable pre/post workout snacks for an NYC habitant!

AlyssaM

Hi all!

This is my first time posting to the forum, but I am looking for a little help!

I live in NYC, and I am very active. When I'm really doing well with my workout regimen, I take a morning workout class at various boutique fitness studios throughout the city. Technically, I live in queens, it takes me an hour to get to work, so I typically choose studios that are a halfway point in my commute. That being said, I don't have time to mess around in the morning. My pre-workout snack is something I can eat with 1 hand, standing in a train (so something packaged) so I usually rely on a banana and coffee (I know, not recommended). My post workout snack is the same deal, some quick protein I can scarf down walking to work, and then I have my actual breakfast once I'm at work. As a result, I also find myself relying on RX bars more than I would like.

So, can you give me any recommendations for portable pre/post workout meals that include some sort of wrapping (I don't want to touch any after a class or on the train!!).

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

Can you wash your hands after a class?  

Preworkout is recommended to be fat and protein, not fruit.  Hardboiled eggs are a great portable option... put it in a zipper bag and then use the zipper bag like a glove to eat the egg, or eat it before you leave the house... it only takes two seconds to eat a hardboiled egg.

Post workout is recommended to be lean protein and starchy carbs... again with the zipper bag you can eat sliced chicken breast and baked yams without ever having to touch them... 

Bars are ONLY approved for emergencies (stuck on the tarmac in a blizzard for six hours) so planning to use them for workout fueling is not one of the approved uses.

As far as the banana goes for pre workout, you're doing yourself a disservice eating that if you want to become fat adapted.  Providing your body with easy sugar right before a workout isn't going to teach your body to burn fat... it'll find the easiest fuel and when you give it a banana, it's going to use that... 

Can you wash your hands after a class?  

Preworkout is recommended to be fat and protein, not fruit.  Hardboiled eggs are a great portable option... put it in a zipper bag and then use the zipper bag like a glove to eat the egg, or eat it before you leave the house... it only takes two seconds to eat a hardboiled egg.

Post workout is recommended to be lean protein and starchy carbs... again with the zipper bag you can eat sliced chicken breast and baked yams without ever having to touch them... 

Bars are ONLY approved for emergencies (stuck on the tarmac in a blizzard for six hours) so planning to use them for workout fueling is not one of the approved uses.

As far as the banana goes for pre workout, you're doing yourself a disservice eating that if you want to become fat adapted.  Providing your body with easy sugar right before a workout isn't going to teach your body to burn fat... it'll find the easiest fuel and when you give it a banana, it's going to use that... 

Thanks for your response! This is helpful, and you bring up some valid points! Eating a hardboiled egg at 5 am as I run to the train is not the most ideal, but will give it a shot! Also, will definitely give the Ziploc bags a go.

Yes, haha, I do wash my hands after a class, but I'd rather be on the safe side as I have to touch doors, my metro card etc. in the interim.

Thank you!

Oh great question because I have the same issue. I workout in the evenings after work and I'm looking for an easy pre/post workout meal. I change from scrubs to street clothes and I rush to my kickboxing class for 6pm

I have several questions:

What's another good pre workout meal that doesn't involve eggs? I can only stomach eggs after 2 days and I workout 3-4 days a week.

What's another post workout alternative besides chicken breast, I'm one of those weird creatures that loathes chicken breast  lol

Thanks!

• Moderators

Pre-workout is protein and fat. Whatever you have on hand or like... chicken thighs, leftover meatballs, olives, avocado, burger meat, sardines, avocado, coconut butter...

Post work out is lean protein and optional starchy carb... tuna and chicken are the main ones people eat as they're the leanest... I can't think of any other lean proteins off the top of my head... 

Pre-workout is protein and fat. Whatever you have on hand or like... chicken thighs, leftover meatballs, olives, avocado, burger meat, sardines, avocado, coconut butter...

Post work out is lean protein and optional starchy carb... tuna and chicken are the main ones people eat as they're the leanest... I can't think of any other lean proteins off the top of my head... 

Thanks a ton for this valuable information. I'm back to working out and I took a gamble on two boiled eggs as a pre workout meal and it wasn't bad. My post workout meal is butternut squash and chicken sausage. I get home late so my post workout meal has to double as my 3rd meal of the day.

If you don't want to touch the food, you could put the meat on a wooden skewer, i.e. meat balls, sausage or kabob-type meat and then you could also skewer olives or avocado to add fat or use a dip for preWO & add carby veg like potato, squash for PostWO. This would have to be made ahead of time of course. Hope that adds some ideas.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much for this..am still in my 1st 24 hours of Whole30 and tomorrow I head to the gym..definately feel much clearer about how the pre & post part works.

Super Grateful!!!

Def keeping this!

"Pre-workout is protein and fat. Whatever you have on hand or like... chicken thighs, leftover meatballs, olives, avocado, burger meat, sardines, avocado, coconut butter...

Post work out is lean protein and optional starchy carb... tuna and chicken are the main ones people eat as they're the leanest... I can't think of any other lean proteins off the top of my head.."

Archived