Successful Whole30, now I want to lose weight

My husband and I completed our first Whole30 on Saturday and are feeling great! I didn't focus on weight loss, and in fact still haven't weighed myself. I've had a few NSV that I'm excited about: sleeping better, no more joint pain, skin clearer, and I slayed my sugar dragon. I think I lost a few pounds just based on the way my clothes are fitting. However, I definitely need to lose more in order to be optimally healthy, probably about 20 pounds. I also don't feel like I gained better focus and energy, two NSV's I was really hoping for.

My husband and I both want to continue to eat this way 99% of the time. The only thing we've reintroduced so far is wine. We may reintro a couple of other things but honestly we don't miss much. After reading ISWF, we are convinced this is the best way to eat for long-term health. But as I said, I do need to lose some fat so I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish that. Should I just continue this way of eating for now, trusting that it will take some time but that the weight will come off? 

We are fairly active - we go to the rock gym a couple times per week and also hike every Saturday. I'm also starting with a personal trainer today in order to build up some core strength after a knee injury a few months ago.

Also I want to mention that I've had digestive issues throughout the Whole30. I always seem to have some kind of gurgling going on. I am taking digestive enzymes and probiotics, which have definitely helped but I would like my gut to settle into this way of eating at some point.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

But as I said, I do need to lose some fat so I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish that. Should I just continue this way of eating for now, trusting that it will take some time but that the weight will come off? 

Yes... basically the short and long answer is yes, just continue this way and as your body gets healed and healthy and trusts that you're going to keep honoring it with good whole foods in appropriate quantities, you will naturally drop whatever weight is extra to your body.  Now, bear in mind, that amount may not be the amount you think (media thinks) you need to lose... 

As for the gut gurgle, that's not really normal to have it go on for the full 30 days... have you posted your meals yet and let us troubleshoot that?  do you have a current and ongoing medical condition that contributes to poor digestion?

Yes, I would really like to get this gut gurgling under control. I constantly feel bloated!

Meal 1 is basically the same every day:

Bed of spinach topped with avocado, sauteed peppers, chicken apple sausage, 2-3 fried eggs, and mayo-based spicy sauce

2 cups of coffee w/coconut cream and some raw cacao powder

Meals 2 and 3 vary quite a bit (trying lots of new recipes), so here's what I've had the last few days:

Hamburger patty, side of roasted sweet potatoes along with steamed broccoli topped with mayo-based spicy sauce

Grilled flank steak salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, avocado, sauteed peppers & onions, homemade dressing

Avocado bacon egg salad with a side of baby carrots

Shredded pork over fried plantains topped with avocado, side of green beans

I drink lots of La Croix and water during the day, and take digestive enzymes at every meal.

Any insights? Thanks!

I agree with gemininurse about the La Croix - carbonated water often causes bloating, especially if it's chilled/iced and your body has to work harder to get it back up to body temperature.

I'd also look at switching the avocado (which you appear to be eating a lot of) for another fat source for a few days & see if you don't get some improvement.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to check back in on this. I switched to a new digestive enzyme and that seems to have helped my issues a little. I will definitely cut out the La Croix and see if that helps. I've had a nagging little voice in the back of my head wondering if that might be a big culprit. If not I'll try cutting out the avocado.

Now back to the weight loss.... it's now been over 7 weeks of eating Whole30. Other than wine, which I have on the weekends, I am eating clean 100% of the time. I'm really frustrated because I'm just not losing any weight. I have not stepped on the scale this entire time, but my clothes are fitting the same and I can tell by the way I feel that the weight is just stuck. I really do need to lose at least 20 pounds. I'm 45 years old and have given up the idea of ever looking like a model, so I'm being truthful in saying this is how much I need to lose to be healthy. 

What can I do to start losing weight? I don't care if it's a long term process, but I want to feel like I'm at least making progress.

Thanks.

Hi mmmartha, thanks for the reply. I'm thinking I need to cut out the wine again; perhaps that's the culprit.

I did 4 sessions with the trainer. Unfortunately I don't think we're good fit for each other. She talked during 80% of our sessions, sharing theories and ideas (which were interesting) but I didn't feel like I was getting a challenging workout or was learning movements I could do on my own. I'm now trying to get in touch with a physical therapist that friend sees to see if she'll work with me. 

Other than a handful of exercises I'm doing at home (such as clamshells, wall squats, glute bridges, etc.) I'm not really doing any strength training. I go rock climbing and hiking a few times a week and cardio at the gym once a week.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

You don't need a trainer :)  They can be nice when its a good fit though.

Check out:

Starting Strength (more traditional weight lifting, very foundational, just need a barbell)

Strong Curves (for women specifically - I really like this programming)

Best way to change your body shape is to build/tone muscle, in my opinion.  

There is always crossfit too.  It can change your life.  But it is pricey.

Crossfit is the only thing that has really worked for me both physically and mentally. They have a good mix of strength and cardio in the workouts.  There are many Crossfits out there so try more than one, they usually give you a free demo.  You want a Crossfit that will pay attention to your injuries and give you a good foundation before going into a workout.  The beauty of the Crossfit workout is that it can easily be modified for any fitness level.  It may be pricey but it is a good investment in yourself and more valuable than your garden-variety gym.  They also support the Whole30 lifestyle.

If you just want to lose some weight, then carry on exactly as you are with one exception - eat slightly less.

I don't know, maybe use smaller plates, or something, but if you eat a little less, your body will have to start getting it's energy from stored fat - which I presume is where you think the excess weight is.

if the weight is muscle - well muscle is heavier than fat, so if you tone up, and make more stronger muscles, and lose fat, you'll actually get heavier - in a purely numbers on a scale figure.

I'd look at the reasons you're thinking about losing the weight in the first place - it could be misguided, and you might not need to.  If you're eating enough, and aren't hungry, and aren't too full, and are doing all that exercise, and your weight is staying the same (which you know, without using a scales) - then let it go.  You've achieved balance.  be happy in who you are, and how you feel.

If you feel that there's excess fat, a spare tyre, or bingo wings, then do specific exercises to aproach those specific areas.

oh yeah, and as others have said - cut down on the wine, or cut it out completely.  Alcohol is a big contributor to 'hidden calories' - not that we're calorie counting of course.

oh yeah, and as others have said - cut down on the wine, or cut it out completely.  Alcohol is a big contributor to 'hidden calories' - not that we're calorie counting of course.

It's not even just the hidden calories factor in the alcohol - alcohol is a toxin, and the body will focus all it's attention on processing & removing that toxin before it processes any food you might eat alongside it, which means the food is often stored as fat.

interesting, I never knew that.  so if I'm going to drink alcohol, I should make sure it's at least an hour either side of any food, so that the alcohol has gone before I eat, or so that the food is processed before the toxins arrive.

interesting, I never knew that.  so if I'm going to drink alcohol, I should make sure it's at least an hour either side of any food, so that the alcohol has gone before I eat, or so that the food is processed before the toxins arrive.

It's around an hour per unit, not per drink... So you're talking roughly 2hrs for an average pint of beer (2 units), or up to 3hrs (anything from 1.5-3 units) for a large glass of wine, depending on type/strength.

as alcohol affects my ability to fall asleep I shouldn't drink too late in the day either, so the best time for one drink would be an hour after breakfast, and three hours before lunch! :D

So long as the sun's over the yardarm!!  :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Hikergirl.... back to the original question... ;) .... My second W30 turned into a W55 and, although I had good/great success in the first 30 days, it wasn't until about 50 days in that my gut was healed enough to start dropping weight, so go with what SugarCubeOD said above. Trust in the process. For some it takes longer just because the healing takes longer.

Also.... hate to say it, but the wine is a big disruptor (I say this from bitter experience, sadly) and it'll cancel out a lot of your progress, creating set backs that you may not even be aware of. One good set back per week is pretty significant.

Third thought.... http:breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/144lbs-why-female-athletes-should-toss-the-scale-and-get-a-new-perspective. 

Best of everything. 

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators
On October 10, 2016 at 1:26 PM, dcmom said:

I really started dropping weight day 37-45.  30 days is nit enough for most people.  I also think your meals are a bit fat heavy and probably to calorically high for your energy output.

Hi There @dcmom

We don't consider 'calories' on the Whole30... calories in vs calories out is old diet rhetoric and as all calories are not created equal, we don't use that type of metric.

I had a look at the meals above and none seem fat heavy... the idea behind the template is to get 4-5 hours between meals and fat is one of the components that help with that.

As far as whether sometimes it takes longer for a body to release weight, yes, this is true.  If a person comes from a place of restriction and poor hormonal balance AND they actually have weight to lose, then it can be delayed while the hormones and internal repair are prioritized.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived