Why does this seem so stressful?!

I'm on day 7 and still feel like crap. I have increased my carbs and fats and am falling asleep easier at night but I wake up much earlier than I used to (6am vs 7:30) so I've gone from 8 or so hours of sleep to 6 or so hours of sleep. I don't wake up happy and cheerful like I used to, now I wake up feeling anxious and dreading another day of this. And still with a headache. Now I've started feeling like I'm coming down with a cold.

I just had breakfast about 2 hours ago: W scrambled eggs in olive oil with wilted spinach, half and avocado, and a baked sweet potato with coconut cream. And I already feel hungry again.

My husband who has been doing this with me hasn't felt bad at all other than the first few days, yet I still feel miserable. Please tell me this will pass. I miss my sleep and waking up feeling cheerful and ready to start the day.

Can you give us a better idea of what you have been eating. Based on the one meal you posted I can make a couple of suggestions. I would increase your protein by adding another meat or more eggs. A serving of eggs when it is your only protein is as many whole ones as you can hold in your hand without dropping them - for most that is 3 or 4. I personally find that having starchy vegetables/fruit later in the day vs meal 1 works better for me energy wise. That is something you can experiment with.

Everybody is different, hang in there. 

Yesterday I had three scrambled eggs cooked in olive oil with wilted spinach and salsa, sweet potato with coconut cream, half a banana and coffee with coconut cream. I could barely scarf it all down which is why I have only did 2 eggs this morning. Mid morning snack of half an avocado. Lunch yesterday was a small can of tuna with homade ranch dressing, 1/2 cup butternut squash, spinach, and cucumbers. I couldn't finish it all so I wrapped it up to eat more later. For snack I had a cup of kalamata olives and at more of my leftover lunch. I got hungry again mid afternoon so made a smoothie with coconut milk, half a banana, half an avocado, and almond butter. Dinner was half an Apple sausage, sweet potato with coconut butter, spinach salad with cucumber and homemade ranch dressing. Been drinking a ton of water and putting salt on my food. Had a pre bed snack of the other half of my sausage and half an avocado to avoid blood sugar dropping in the night. Though I didn't sleep as long as I'm used to, I slept pretty soundly. However, I am waking up with akin burning sensations like I used to have when my anxiety was high. I attribute it to high cortisol levels. I worked so hard the past 6 months to get past anxiety and poor sleeping that I'm a bit resentful to be going through it again.

You might want to try easing back a bit on the fat and upping your protein and non-starchy veggies. Are you snacking because you are hungry or because that is what you are used to? Hungry being you would eat anything...even something boring and bland. If you must eat between meals try to make it a mini meal.

Are you using the meal template to compose your meals?

The early phases can be rough as this is when our hormones are shifting. It does often (but not always) get worse before it gets better. 

Thanks. Yes I am using the meal template and due to not being able to fall sleep well, I was encouraged to increase my fat intake and carbs. I haven't had trouble falling asleep since but I still wake up earlier than I want and not in a good mood. I just feel general malaise.

I'm snacking because sometimes my stomach feels weird. Like I can tell of its digesting, nauseous, or hungry. I've never experienced that before. I'm also snacking because I feel like I can't eat as much as I'm supposed to at one meal.

Like I *can't* tell if it's digesting...

I just feel like I'm overly stressing about all of this. I want to feel good again. I wasn't feel bad when I began the program. It was recommended to me to help lose weight, but the only need to drop about 10 lbs. My husband has been wanting to try something like this for a long time so he is helping and is doing a lot better than me.

Thanks. Yes I am using the meal template and due to not being able to fall sleep well, I was encouraged to increase my fat intake and carbs. I haven't had trouble falling asleep since but I still wake up earlier than I want and not in a good mood. I just feel general malaise.

I'm snacking because sometimes my stomach feels weird. Like I can tell of its digesting, nauseous, or hungry. I've never experienced that before. I'm also snacking because I feel like I can't eat as much as I'm supposed to at one meal.

Some times a feeling of lack of digestion is just that - malabsorption.

You're pretty heavy on sweet potatoes, avocadoes & coconut milk, all of which are high FODMAP and can be difficult to digest - I'd cut back on those for a day or two to see how you go - the improvement is usually fairly instant.

I know one of our members recommended that you up your starchy veg - some people just don't do well with this... I made the suggestion below and I still stand by it - starch need only make an appearance in your menu once a day, otherwise you can rely on the other foods listed for your anxiety, and add in more non starchy veg as Physibeth suggested:

For the anxiety try & include foods naturally high in trytophan & serotonin in your food rotation - oily fish, oysters, turkey, white potatoes, mushrooms, walnuts & bananas are all good for starters as they are natural mood enhancers.

You could also take a magnesium supplement if you are not already doing so - this acts as a muscle relaxant & aids sleep as well as keeping things moving in the bathroom department, plus the vast majority of us are magnesium deficient anyways as modern farming techniques deplete the magnesium in the soil.

Also, try holding any starchy veg back until meal 3 - there is lots of anecdotal evidence that this also aids sleep.

It was on day 9 that I joined this forum because I felt like I needed some encouragement. I dutifully logged all of my meals and felt like all I could think about was the Whole30 and how I felt. That slowly went away and by the last week, I realized I had stopped logging food, could pretty easily troubleshoot my own meals (lack of fat caused headaches was a big one for me) and really didn't *think* about it that much. It was just natural. I won't say I hit crazy incredible energy or that huge miracles happened, but it is now (day 31!), an easy ride for me and I hope as I tweak things, I can reach some of my loftier goals.

In other words, you are right near the hardest part of the diet for everyone, no matter what issues they are trying to conquer. It will get better! Keep trying out new tweaks like those suggested above. You'll get there!

Thank you for the encouragement, again! That's how I feel...like my thoughts are consumed by this and that, of course, triggers anxiety. I feel like I can hardly focus on other things I need to do and that isn't healthy either. I need to find the balance.

This is the first time I have even been on a forum, let alone responded to comments, but here goes. There is so much I relate to in gr8cate's comments: the crankiness and low mood, hanging on to success stories, trying to seek the balance within meals, etc. It is tough and I have had to hit the reset button twice, but am still enthusiastic about getting a grip on my relationship to food. My biggest problem seems to be planning meals and sticking to eating times. My general habit is to wake up around 8:30, drink some coffee, check in with the world and others on the computer, do errands and stuff…It is 1 or 2 in the afternoon before I even think of eating breakfast, as I wait until I am actually hungry. Not a good schedule so there is part of the challenge. So for me success will likely be in pattern change and meal planning.

"Finding the balance." Isn't that what we are always looking for? My plan…rely on my 3 go-to meals and use the 7-day meal plan (Whole 30) or the meal map for proteins and veggies (ISWF). I am trying to find ways to take my brain out of the equation where things are already figured out and I don't have to think or stress about it. Give the brain a rest and let it work on other things besides stressing on food…quiet and calm it down a bit! So much of the thinking has already been done on the Whole 30.

Crabbiness. For that I am trying to build in some calming "me time." It is spring and Minneapolis is gorgeous. Get away from the computer, devices, schedules, food, to-do lists, clutter and just breathe. I am trying to center myself more. I am also trying to be more kind to myself..firm, but kind.

I bought myself a "reminder" gift at the beginning of my Whole 30. It is a substantial (heavy for a charm) gold elephant charm on a necklace. I am wearing it everyday and can touch it to remind myself of my decision, resolve and strength. It has helped. And this little, but strong elephant is my tangible companion on this journey along with all the other Whole 30'ers out there!

Hope this helps a little. Stay strong!

Archived