Cheese replacement for zucchini lasagna?

sboavida

I am gonna try and make a zucchini lasagna (just zucchini, homemade tomato sauce and ground beef) because it is a dish I can cook in batch and also it freezes well.

But I don't know how to replace the cheese for that golden look?

BTW is lasagna a SWYPO food? I must say it is delicious food, but I don't think it will make me crave the real thing nor overeat.

Thanks!

• Moderators

There's not really anything that will give you that pretty look on top that melted cheese browned in the oven will. You could maybe put some chopped nuts of some kind on top to mimic bread crumbs, but it would be really easy to put too many so be careful with that.

What you're making isn't SWYPO. If you were making some kind of noodles out of almond or other non-grain flour, or if you went searching vegan sites for a way to make melty, dairy-free cheese (I don't even know if that's possible, it's just an example), then you'd be getting into SWYPO. Combining veggies, meat, and tomato sauce is fine.

Ok thanks! I am relieved to know that I can enjoy zucchini lasagna without the guilt! I guess I will just skip the beautiful lasagna look for now, and have it with plain zucchini on top.

I had zucchini noodles some days ago and to me they were even better than pasta! Oh Whole30, what have you done to me?

Some of the recipes I've seen for layered veg and meat type casserole bakes include layers of beaten egg instead of layers of cheese sauce. Mel Joulwan's eggplant strata for example.

Yep the Hungry Man's Casserole from Civilised Caveman calls for this - layer seasoned ground beef & sweet potato (& chopped bacon!) and pour over a few beaten eggs... 

• 2 weeks later...

I made paleo cheese once from coconut milk but it was a lot of work and it tasted a lot better than it looked.  You can also make it with almond milk if its compliant.  Try searching for paleo lasagna cheese and just check to make sure the ingredients are compliant.  It can be done. You just want to make sure you don't use it as a SWYPO.

I made paleo cheese once from coconut milk but it was a lot of work and it tasted a lot better than it looked.  You can also make it with almond milk if its compliant.  Try searching for paleo lasagna cheese and just check to make sure the ingredients are compliant.  It can be done. You just want to make sure you don't use it as a SWYPO.

Making any sort of cheese replacement would be SWYPO in and of itself, just like pancakes, baked goods, and coconut milk yogurt.

• 2 months later...
On May 5, 2016 at 4:19 PM, sboavida said:

Ok thanks! I am relieved to know that I can enjoy zucchini lasagna without the guilt! I guess I will just skip the beautiful lasagna look for now, and have it with plain zucchini on top.

I had zucchini noodles some days ago and to me they were even better than pasta! Oh Whole30, what have you done to me?

Hi- I use Nutritional yeast sprinkled on my food for a Parmesan cheese substitute. Not sure if that will work for you, but you may want to try it and see. 

Archived