Is there such thing as a Fat Dragon?

sboavida

When I started my second whole30, ten days ago, I knew it would take some days before I could last 6h between meals (I have breakfast at 7, lunch at 1 and dinner at 7). I just kept adding more protein and fat to my meals and in the past 2 days I have reached my goal of having only 3 meals, 6 hours apart. I am petite but I am having around 2 palms of protein and 2 or more thumbs of fat each meal. I really cut back on fruit because it kept my sugar dragon awake, and I have starchy vegetables very occasionally. So I just eat fat to make me last longer.

The problem is I think I am in love with fat. No, seriously, I had 3 tablespoons of homemade compliant mayo plus 6 or 7 olives at dinner and I felt I was in heaven!

Am I just replacing my sugar addiction with a fat addiction?

• Moderators

I think this is the normal way of things, honestly. Yes, upping fat and protein certainly helps put the sugar dragon to bed--and it's so pleasurable to feel satiated. Enjoy it! Your hunger, if you continue to trust it and feed it appropriately, will level out. So, I wouldn't call it a fat dragon, exactly. I think you can view a temporary fat tooth as good thing that is serving you well in the long run.

• 3 weeks later...
praxisproject, on 05 May 2016 - 9:25 PM, said:praxisproject, on 05 May 2016 - 9:25 PM, said:praxisproject, on 05 May 2016 - 9:25 PM, said:

It's more like a circuit breaker, the sugar dragon needs to keep fed to keep him awake. Once your blood sugar settles down and your body stops expecting the sugar, things start to settle down :)

So, I was following this topic waiting for things to settle down with my very own "fat tooth" and my realization is that it hasn't. I'm on day 17 (I think-- I'm losing count) and still going bonkers for fats. I eat protein and veggies to the meal template. I limit my nuts/seeds to a couple of closed-fist servings per week and opt for following suggestions of about a half avocado or open handfuls of olives or drizzling delicious oils or ghee over top of my meals, but find that I am also frequently looking to dip my veggies and proteins into my very lemony homemade mayo, or if I'm having oil or ghee or avocado, also look for olives as well. Is there such a thing as too much fat for longer than it takes my blood sugar and hunger signals to normalize? Or maybe it's just taking me a bit longer for my body to normalize than others and I'm being impatient?

So, I was following this topic waiting for things to settle down with my very own "fat tooth" and my realization is that it hasn't. I'm on day 17 (I think-- I'm losing count) and still going bonkers for fats. I eat protein and veggies to the meal template. I limit my nuts/seeds to a couple of closed-fist servings per week and opt for following suggestions of about a half avocado or open handfuls of olives or drizzling delicious oils or ghee over top of my meals, but find that I am also frequently looking to dip my veggies and proteins into my very lemony homemade mayo, or if I'm having oil or ghee or avocado, also look for olives as well. Is there such a thing as too much fat for longer than it takes my blood sugar and hunger signals to normalize? Or maybe it's just taking me a bit longer for my body to normalize than others and I'm being impatient?

You may well be omega 3 deficient (many people are). You could look at adding in a fish oil supplement and see if things settle down for you...

Maybe our perception of what amount of fat too eat has been skewed by our fatphobic society. A few week before starting Whole30 I. Added extra fats to my diet and felt better energy, I'm continuing to enjoy it being acceptable to eat and enjoy fats. Without feeling guilty for enjoying th m. It's great.

You may well be omega 3 deficient (many people are). You could look at adding in a fish oil supplement and see if things settle down for you...

Maybe our perception of what amount of fat too eat has been skewed by our fatphobic society. A few week before starting Whole30 I. Added extra fats to my diet and felt better energy, I'm continuing to enjoy it being acceptable to eat and enjoy fats. Without feeling guilty for enjoying th m. It's great.

Thank you for these two responses-- before I add a fish oil supplement, I might try to increase my intake of fatty fishes into my diet for a bit and see if that makes a different. But I also think that part of my concerns may have to do with the ingrained message of limit fats to get healthier that I've learned my entire life. I'm definitely including healthy fats into every meal, but as my society-induced preconceived notions are giving me the idea that it's too much fat, I'm still struggling through the cravings. So there's definitely something biological about it as well.

Archived