Pregnant and diabetic?

I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy, so this is more for future reference if I decide to go for kid number three. I've seen success stories for pregnancy and for diabetes, but not necessarily together and was wondering if anyone had success with w30 and diabetes while pregnant? Fwiw, I'm diagnosed t1 (although more like 1.5 as my pancreas hasn't completely stopped yet) and I'm not planning on doing w30 the last 12 days of my pregnancy (although, nursing is another story.) I tried searching the forums and got nothing. My hope is that others have done this and I won't have to pay exhorbitant prices on insulin next pregnancy because the pancreas and placenta play nicer together (I hope.)

I'm actually going to move this post over into the breastfeeding area as I think you might get some more responses.

Do make sure your doctors are aware of any diet changes as they may want to discuss further, you may need to manage your starchy veg to make sure you're getting enough for your blood sugar through the night.

There's also Healthy Mama, Happy Baby https://mamas.whole30.com/

This would be happening in the future. I'm nearing the end of this pregnancy and don't feel comfortable with a big change in diet right now. I am more interested for future reference as my insulin costs have skyrocketed this pregnancy (I'm normally on a minimal amount of long acting, no meal time, and my PCP actually recommends closer to w30 eating)

As anyone with GD or diabetes while pregnant will tell you, each pregnancy is different with what forms of carbs are tolerated. With my first, I barely had any triggers, but with this one, wheat sends my blood sugar sky high, even if in my allotted carbs and even if I add more insulin.

I'm planning on doing w30 after this kid is born and I have adjusted to life with two kids. I've eaten several compliant meals in this pregnancy, but added carbs (mostly sweet potatoes or berries or apples...) and guacamole (this kid loves Mexican!). It is definitely something I'll discuss before we ttc again (which is in question due to big pharma :'( ) so it's definitely 2 or so years in the future

• 4 weeks later...

I had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies- I am currently 7 weeks pp. I considered doing whole 30 for the first time since I was already not drinking and eating less sweets, but I decided it would be too much. I ended up eating a lot of cheese to keep my protein up.

The first pregnancy I was on oral meds, but this time was insulin.

I am literally in day 1, but I am hoping this change will help my hormones balance out. Not sure that this is helpful at all, but you are not alone :)

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Just out of curiosity how was your exercise this pregnancy?  There are two ways glucose can enter cells: the insulin mediated pathway or an exercise (muscle contraction) induced pathway (which is independent of insulin).  Did you exercise during P1 or P2?  Did you notice a difference in insulin requirements?  Might be something to talk to your doc about - monitoring your glucose before TTC to learn more about how you respond to exercise (walking, weight lifting, etc - things doable during pregnancy) which would be data you could apply to P3.  Until HCG, progesterone and estrogen throw it all out the window ;)

• 1 month later...
On June 13, 2016 at 5:33 AM, littleg said:

Just out of curiosity how was your exercise this pregnancy?  There are two ways glucose can enter cells: the insulin mediated pathway or an exercise (muscle contraction) induced pathway (which is independent of insulin).  Did you exercise during P1 or P2?  Did you notice a difference in insulin requirements?  Might be something to talk to your doc about - monitoring your glucose before TTC to learn more about how you respond to exercise (walking, weight lifting, etc - things doable during pregnancy) which would be data you could apply to P3.  Until HCG, progesterone and estrogen throw it all out the window ;)

It got really difficult to exercise near the end! I knew I'd need to wind up on insulin regardless so I called my Endo as soon as my numbers started to creep up. I'm not usually that good at exercising tbh

On June 9, 2016 at 0:54 PM, jenjenattack said:

I had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies- I am currently 7 weeks pp. I considered doing whole 30 for the first time since I was already not drinking and eating less sweets, but I decided it would be too much. I ended up eating a lot of cheese to keep my protein up.

The first pregnancy I was on oral meds, but this time was insulin.

I am literally in day 1, but I am hoping this change will help my hormones balance out. Not sure that this is helpful at all, but you are not alone :)

Me and cheese were best friends in both pregnancies! But now that I'm almost 3 months post partum and on day 7 of my w30 I'm feeling great and my  insulin requirements are at 0 atm. I'm glad my doc is familiar with whole30 and her only concern was the amount of work with it and a newborn. Now that we have a schedule down, it's gotten easier. I wish I could say mine was just gestational but it wasn't. I'm not convinced it had nothing to do with kid 1 spending almost two weeks in the NICU and now I'm wondering why a previous doc never tested for it. (She thought I had reactive hypoglycemia and thought that was why I got migraines. Now I suspect it was my pancreas yelling for help. But cutting out gluten and thus my carb load helped a lot before my first pregnancy)

anyways sorry it took so long to respond. I guess I never noticed the replies

I'm type 1, doing whole30 to prepare for my first pregnancy. I did a round in March and did really well, just slipped into bad habits when Summer hit. I just started my 2nd round and plan to do a full 90 days before getting pregnant. My sugars stabilize really well on the program and my insulin needs are basically half that they normally are (who knows how that will change with pregnancy!) 

for pregnancy, I think it's impractical to be strict whole30 during the full 9 months, but I plan to follow the meal template and maybe incorporate high quality cheese.

I'm getting back into an exercise routine (which also went out the window with Summer's arrival) I hoping to really strengthen my core and back muscles so I can continue to be active during pregnancy... As active as having a FT desk job affords anyway!

Archived