Grace's Log: My First Whole30 from Oct 1st

birthdance

DAY THIRTEEN

Breakfast: Two small beef patties, salad greens with carrot and mushroom, and a kiwi fruit. Decaf coffee with coconut cream.

Lunch: Big green salad with tuna, avocado, mushroom, cucumber and cherry tomatoes followed by strawberries with coconut cream.

Afternoon: Coffee with coconut cream.

Dinner: Thai Red Curry- chicken, sweet potato, carrot, broccoli, fennel, onion, spring onion, Asian greens, mushroom, coconut milk, fish sauce and green curry paste.

DAY FOURTEEN

Breakfast: Three small beef patties, steamed asparagus, sliced cucumber and mushroom and grated carrot. Decaf coffee with coconut cream.

Lunch: Three eggs scrambled with asparagus, spring onions and mushrooms, sweet potato mashed with coconut milk, half a sliced avocado, and sardines with tomato sauce.

Dinner: Leftover chicken curry from last night.

I'm really starting to see the results of my whole30. I'm no longer feeling desperate for something to eat every few hours. Today I didn't manage to eat lunch until 2.30pm, and although I was definitely ready for some food, I could have waited longer, and I didn't feel ready to kill someone! Just a few weeks ago I wouldn't have made it to 10.30am without eating!

I'm feeling quite calm and happy all the time, and despite having a newborn, I feel like my energy levels are good - I just feel healthy.

Went to church today for the first time in a few weeks, and I had several people tell me I'm looking fantastic, and that I don't look like I've just had a baby. (I've definitely still got the tummy to lose though!) My skin is clearer, my hair looks healthier, my eyes are brighter. My FIL came over to visit in the afternoon with his girlfriend, and she asked me if I was following a special diet because I looked gorgeous! Told her what I was eating and she was interested - going to email her the link to the whole9 website. :)

DAY FIFTEEN - HALF WAY THROUGH!

Breakfast: Three small beef patties, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, sliced pear and kiwi fruit with coconut cream. Decaf coffee with coconut cream.

Midmorning: Decaf long black at a local cafe.

Lunch: Three hard boiled eggs, steamed asparagus, raw mushrooms, alfalfa, carrot and cucumber.

Afternoon: Tried to make it through without snacking, but really was hungry by 4.00pm. Sliced banana and kiwi fruit with coconut cream and a handful of hazelnuts.

Dinner: Osso bucco with steamed broccoli and cauliflower, and peas.

I'm actually quite liking the coconut cream. I used to be much more of a tea drinker, but I don't much like black tea without milk, so I've been drinking much more coffee. I make my coffee in a french press, so it may depend a bit on how you're making your coffee. It's not the same as having milk - I think of it more like a macchiato, it just gives the coffee a hint of creaminess and flavour. I use a big heaped teaspoon of coconut cream per mug of coffee. And I always use the Ayam brand coconut cream, I think it's by far the best tasting, and the brands with guar gum give me a stomach ache.

DAY SIXTEEN

Feeling really exhausted today - my husband is back at work so I've got the three boys by myself, and I didn't sleep well last night. The tiredness is definitely making me feel more snacky - I've been tempted to revert to comfort eating. Baby is also feeding more, and I've been feeling hungry between meals again.

Breakfast: Three fried eggs, sautéed rainbow chard, tinned salmon, half an avocado. Decaf coffee with coconut cream.

Midmorning: Sliced banana and kiwi fruit with coconut cream and chopped hazelnuts.

Lunch: Leftover osso bucco with steamed cauliflower and broccoli.

Afternoon: Green tea and handful of almonds and hazelnuts

Dinner: Bolognaise sauce on cauliflower mash.

DAY SEVENTEEN

I felt really nausous when I woke up this morning and couldn't face eating a proper breakfast. I tried to remedy this with a mid-morning mini meal when I was feeling less sick, but I think the poor breakfast set me up to feel snacky all day. Feeling very tired and grumpy, which I think contributed to me wanting to graze. I stuck with compliant foods, but I didn't feel like it was a healthy eating day, psychologically. I think I'm not eating enough fat or drinking enough water.

Breakfast: Decaf coffee with coconut cream, a banana and a small handful of hazelnuts.

Midmorning: Tinned salmon, raw carrot, mushroom and sprouts with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Lunch: Beef mince in tomato sauce, green salad with avocado. Rooibos tea.

Afternoon: Leftover beef mince, a banana, handful of almonds and a decaf coffee with coconut cream.

Before dinner: Two tablespoons of coconut cream.

Dinner: Three boiled eggs, beetroot and sweet potato soup.

DAY EIGHTEEN

My eating has been back on track today - no snacking! I was excited to finally find compliant olives at the supermarket this afternoon.

Breakfast: Beef mince in tomato sauce, asparagus and mushrooms sautéed in coconut oil with mint. Decaf coffee with coconut cream.

Lunch: Frittata with fennel, rainbow chard and tinned salmon. Sliced banana and kiwi fruit with coconut cream and chopped hazelnuts.

Dinner: Beetroot and sweet potato soup. Half a can of sardines with tomato paste.

I made the decision today that I need to get my kids onto a paleo diet. They already eat gluten-free with only occasional grains - a bit of white rice, rice crackers and gluten-free pasta, and they're pretty low-sugar. But they eat a lot of dairy, and not enough variety of foods. My eldest in particular is really fussy and pretty much lives on plain yoghurt, bananas, apples, peanut butter and beef mince. The only vegetable he will happily eat is raw mushroom. I've decided once we've run out of yoghurt, cheese and peanut butter that's it - I'm not buying any more. Also explained to my older boys that I'm not making them whatever they want to eat any more, they have to eat what I give them or go hungry. I laid down the law at lunch today and after some complaints they happily ate two boiled eggs each, which they haven't touched for months. I'm expecting lots of tears once they work out there's going to be no more yoghurt for breakfast!

DAY NINETEEN

Breakfast: Three boiled eggs, sauteed mushrooms and rainbow chard, kiwifruit. Decaf coffee with coconut cream.

Lunch: Meatballs with tomato sauce, big green salad with baby asian greens, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts and carrot and olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Afternoon: Banana with coconut cream and hazelnuts.

Dinner: Coffee-braised slow cooked chilli beef, green salad with cucumber and carrot, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Strawberries with coconut cream.

I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night despite being exhausted - wondering if I need to take a magnesium supplement.

DAY TWENTY

Breakfast: Leftover meatballs with tomato sauce, green salad with cucumber, sprouts and avocado, a kiwi fruit. Decaf coffee with coconut cream.

Midmorning: Decaf long black at local cafe and a few hazelnuts.

Lunch: Two lamb chops, sweet potato fried in coconut oil, green salad.

Afternoon: Banana and blueberries with coconut cream and hazelnuts. Mint tea.

Dinner: Leftover coffee-braised chilli beef with carrot and beetroot salad.

DAY TWENTY-TWO

Breakfast: Sweet potato and Apple breakfast patties, two fried eggs,rainbow chard sauteed in coconut oil with garlic, handful of blueberries. Decaf coffee with coconut cream.

Lunch: Chicken nuggets (chicken breast, olive oil, almond meal), green salad with mushroom, celery and olives.

Afternoon: Decaf coffee with coconut cream.

Dinner: Chicken mole with green salad and home made salsa.

11.00pm: Was starving and ate a bowl of banana and kiwi fruit with coconut cream and hazelnuts before bed.

DAY TWENTY-THREE

Breakfast: Leftover coffee-braised chilli beef, sweet potato mashed with coconut milk, rainbow chard and mushrooms sauteed in coconut oil with garlic. Decaf coffee with coconut cream.

Late morning: Sliced banana, kiwi fruit and blueberries with coconut cream and hazelnuts.

Lunch: Two fried eggs, tinned salmon, and green salad with mushrooms, carrot and olives. I made banana pancakes for my kids (just banana, egg, a little almond meal) and ate a very small one even though it was a bit SWYPO. I found it overwhelmingly sweet, even though I'm eating fruit every day, and had no desire to have another!

Dinner: Chicken mole with green salad and home made salsa.

I felt like my milk supply was really low last night and baby nursed all night, I think working on building my supply. I'd been trying not to eat between meals, but I think it's affecting my supply and I'm going to keep having snacks if I feel I need something. I've mostly been eating a mix of fruit, coconut milk and nuts between meals. It's not a proper 'mini-meal', but I think the carbs and fat are what I need to keep up with nursing my two-week-old. Also increased my water intake and ate bigger meals today.

DAY TWENTY-FOUR

Breakfast: Two lamb chops, two fried eggs, spinach sautéed with mushrooms, and green salad. Decaf coffee with coconut cream.

Lunch: Beef mince on sweet potato mash, a banana, and a few chunks of fresh coconut.

Afternoon: Leftover beef mince and some fresh coconut.

Dinner: Paleo Breakfast Pie (sweet potato, beef mince, eggs, onion) and green salad.

DAY TWENTY-FIVE

Slept in until 11am so didn't eat breakfast.

Lunch: Leftover coffee-braised chilli beef, steamed asparagus with olive oil, green salad with olives. Decaf coffee with coconut cream.

Late afternoon: A few slices of apple, some dried banana pieces and a handful of almonds.

Dinner: Beef and veggie curry on sweet potato mashed with coconut milk.

Archived