Ovulation, FSH and LH levels

Amosmax

Does anyone have any experience with the Whole 30 and it's hopeful effects on FSH and LH levels? I was on the pill for so long and have now been off for nearly a year. Before my first whole 30 in August I went in for complete bloodwork per Robb Wolfe and my FSH and LH were only slightly higher than they were a year ago. I've now started my second whole 30 and am a little worried about my hormones still. I keep putting off more bloodwork and am hoping another Whole 30 and continued Paleo will help. Also, I'm in reasonable shape and really only need to lose another 10 pounds or so. I lost 14 during the first Whole 30. I've been using the daily ovulation predictor tests and every day they're still negative. Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

To be honest I haven't read any scientific studies/evidence regarding the effect of Whole30/Paleo type eating on fertility and hormone levels though I would be very interested myself! I have struggled with amennorhea in the past (due to poor dietary habits and hypothyroidism at the time.) I took myself off the pill over two years ago to work my way back to a pretty normal cycle. I say pretty because my period comes every 30 days like clockwork but I have had spotting throughout my cycle for the last ~7 months which was not typical in my younger years. I am very interested to see how the Whole30 way of eating effects the spotting and my ability to ovulate and conceive (my husband and I are going to start trying very soon.) I may start a thread in the Ladies Only forum once I have something to share about my own experience. :D So far the Whole 30 way of eating has been extremely helpful in helping my body heal from too much activity (until recently I worked full time in fitness) terrible IBS-D and other smaller issues. I think it will be helpful to you as well. :D Let us know how things are going!

Amosmax, are you trying to get pregnant?

Unfortunately, a lot of the sciencey talk about hormones has mostly ignored the folks of the female persuasion. I don't fault the paleosphere for this, it's just a VERY complex topic, with a ton more moving pieces than male hormones, so it's harder to pinpoint what's causing what. If you're just concerned about your hormone levels, I'd poke around the paleoforwomen.com blog. Stefani Ruper mainly focuses on PCOS and other big issues, but you might be able to find some goodies on there.

If pregnancy is the goal, check out Chris Kresser's healthy baby code? It's a really good, comprehensive how to guide for everything from first thinking about getting pregnant through the first year after birth.

• 1 month later...

I think I've found a lot of the answers I was looking for. On another thread a book was mentioned and it has been a HUGE help, " Take Charge of Your Fertility," by Toni Weschler. I'm also getting Chris Kresser's newsletter to tide me over until after Christmas when I will buy the healthy baby code.

I used the Paleo Solution Diet and the fertility book to help me communicate with my primary doctor to get all of my blood tests over the last few months in preparing for my long awaited fertility doctor appointment. The book was also very helpful in teaching me the ins and outs of charting and I use the "period tracker" app to keep track of all that information.

Yes, we are trying to get pregnant so I've become a little obsessive with all of this but I have learned so much! I'm convinced ISWF helped a lot. My hormone levels have drastically improved since July when i had my first baseline blood tests per Paleo Solution.The problem now is low progesterone, which I had problems with during my first pregnancy. A few weeks ago I adjusted my diet to include some whole fat dairy, per Kresser ( lots of eggs, whole milk), and I started a regimen of the Innate Response Baby and Me Trimester I & II vitamins along with their Folate, B6 and B12, and Carlson's DHA fish oil gems. This month my progesterone is much much higher, indicating I may have finally ovulated!!

Tomorrow is my appointment with the fertility doctor to go over my tests and see how to proceed.

• 1 month later...

I am now almost 5 weeks pregnant!! We found out the week before I was to start taking clomid and I was on Day 15 of my second Whole30. I truly believe that everything I learned and applied from Whole9, "Take Charge of Your Fertility" and Chris Kresser's Healthy Baby Code is what helped. My progesterone is finally normal!

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations! I too am interested in how the Whole 30 might help. I have been ttc for three years, and have had three miscarriages. I've had a tonne of bloodwork, but most of it is perfectly normal. My infertility (if you could call it that) is due to my age.

Do you have any idea what might have specifically helped with your progesterone? I am guessing it is a combination of factors. I have wondered about the "healthy baby code', and have done some reading of Chris Kresser's newsletters and now I take fermented cod liver oil,along with other supplements ( Co q 10,royal jelly,folic acid,pregnancy multi).

My FSH is a little high (the last time it was tested was over 12 months ago,and it was 12), but I am 46,so it is not surprising.

I am doing my second proper whole 30, half way through,and I am hoping that it will help. I ovulate regularly, but I am sure my age is the problem.

I would love to hear a little more about what you did if you are willing to share.

Are you able to keep eating the same way now that you are pregnant? Do you have any morning sickness?

Have a happy and healthy 9 months. :)

Archived