How to do my week long conference in Germany

bherhei

Hello!

I started Whole30 September 10th and unexpectedly just two days after my thirty days are over I will be going away for about ten days where I'll have little control over the food served to me.

Originally I thought I would have a few weeks of transition time in between to think through things a bit more and give my body some time to see if dairy was an issue, etc.

So...this is freaking me out a bit as I'm worried that the whole week I am going to be sick or headachy from having to so quickly reintroduce new foods or accidentally eating things I don't know have harmful ingredients. I'm guessing the food where we will be staying, which is in Germany, will be buffet style, and I'm just hoping there are some grilled, not breaded meats and vegetables without sauces but it's doubtful. Here in Hungary where I live there would be almost no options in a similar situation and it would be quite difficult. I'm a picky eater to begin with (not healthy, picky) and so I usually rely on bread and cheese at these types of events.

I genuinely feel confused about how to go about this. Originally I had planned to just slowly reintroduce dairy and now I'm just not sure. I need some advice about how to prioritize, for example, try to still avoid all sugar but don't worry about dairy? Or go ahead with sugar but don't eat dairy unless it's a last resort? Breads, no breads, brown breads? I plan to get right back on a similar to Whole30 track once I return (didn't think the 30 days was enough for me) so mostly I'm just concerned about feeling unwell during this important conference.

[Please take note that for financial reasons I will be unable to specially order my own food and also that it isn't the US where you can easily get the random whole foods that you want. I'm already used to that as I live in a small village in Hungary but I don't really have any idea what the food will be like in this equally small German town.]

This whole thing is making me want to cry as I'm feeling so good about the drastic changes that I stuck to for almost thirty days now. I had never done any type of primal or paleo type eating and was just at a desperate place health/weight wise and decided to give something completely new a try. I haven't been able to eat organic per say but otherwise I have completely stuck to the plan. I need more time to keep doing this and I don't want to blow it all now.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance,

Brenda

• Moderators

After just 30 days on the Whole30, I would not expect you to have severe reactions to reintroducing foods to which you were previously accustomed. Honestly, I am a little skeptical of reported negative reactions to off-plan foods by people who are new to the Whole30. I did have a negative reaction to a double scoop of ice cream after I had been doing a Whole30 for 4 months, but that has been my only negative reaction with over 2 years of experience. These things can vary by a person's innate sensitivity, but I don't think you should worry too much about your time eating off the buffet in Germany.

Grains and dairy tend to be the biggest trouble makers for people. Wheat tends to be the worst. However, rice tends to be neutral and, unless you are sensitive, cheese and yogurt should be less trouble than milk or ice cream. Sugar and other sweeteners may increase sugar cravings, but should not cause much disturbance unless you eat a lot of sugary food.

I recommend choosing the best foods you can - focusing on meat and vegetables. I think of potatoes with Germany. White potatoes do not cause problems, they just aren't as nutrient dense as the Whole30 strives for, so eat them freely if that is what is available.

Dear Tom,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I just needed some direction and it was feeling so confusing and a bit overwhelming to me. This conference just popped up way sooner than I thought it would.

You are officially a lifesaver.

Brenda

Even small villages have grocery stores and butcher shops if you donrt have to eat in restaurants all the time. My aunt is in a small town south of Munich called Tutzing and while maybe not all technically Whole30 compliant, many good food options exist. Fruit is available at just about all train stations too. Good luck and have fun!.

Archived