Stomach not feeling the best, Headache

I have been feeling ok throughout my whole 30, but the last few days not so. I thought maybe a bug or something, but strange how my symptoms are coming and going. Wondering if someone can have a look and offer advice.

I am almost done my Whole 30, but still feel lack of energy, body pain and now my headaches are back :(

Friday-

M1- 3 scrambled eggs with mixed veggies ( mushrooms, onions and pepper) , sliced apple with cinnamon, 1tbsp of almond butter and sprinkled with pecans. 2 black coffee

bathroom several times and stomach very upset all morning ate M2 regardless

M2- 1 can of salmon mixed with 1 tbsp of olive oil, dill and a splash of lime juice over mixed greens and shredded carrot

stomach still upset

M3- roast chicken, large salad sprinkled with blueberries topped with mixed olive oil and apple cider vinegar, green tea

Saturday am- belly feeling ok

M1- leftover roast chicken fried in coconut oil with sweet potato and mixed veggies ( carrots, onions and green peppers), coffee

M2- ate at a restaurant for the 1st time on my whole 30- asked for everything cooked in oil olive instead of other oil and they couldn't?? so I asked for it cooked without any oil or seasoning

4oz of steak, 2 good size shrimp, grilled veggies and a baked sweet potato. no fat at this meal, but they said they didn't have avocado..

within 30 mins of leaving the restaurant I was in the bathroom

felt nauseous the rest of day and just couldn't eat. had a herbal tea in the evening

Sunday am- belly feeling ok

M1- 1 sausage, 2 eggs and mixed veggies( mush, onions, peppers)  in coconut oil

M2- felt nauseous again and had huge headache, took Advil and went for a nap

M3- feeling a little better- had to eat as everyone here for Mothers Day BBQ- I had a beef patty topped with avocado & tomato, sweet potato and tossed salad topped with olive oil and balsamic vinegar

headache persisting all night

Monday am- headache gone, belly still feels jittery

M1- 1 sausage, 2 eggs and mixed veggies( mush, onions, peppers)  in coconut oil

headache returning and belly still doesn't feel right.

Other than the oil you use for cooking a number of your meals look light on fat - obviously the meal you ate out had no fat at all, but your next meal was light in fat too, and this can cause headaches for sure.

The sore tummy - well mushrooms, onions, avocados & sweet potatoes are all high FODMAP - as are the apple, nut butter & pecans you had when the tummy ache started... And when the tummy is aggravted coffee is only going to make it worse.

I'd look at removing those foods first, add additional fat to all meals on top of what you use for cooking & see how you go from there.

Also, how much water are you drinking? And are you salting your food...?

Other than the oil you use for cooking a number of your meals look light on fat - obviously the meal you ate out had no fat at all, but your next meal was light in fat too, and this can cause headaches for sure.

The sore tummy - well mushrooms, onions, avocados & sweet potatoes are all high FODMAP - as are the apple, nut butter & pecans you had when the tummy ache started... And when the tummy is aggravted coffee is only going to make it worse.

I'd look at removing those foods first, add additional fat to all meals on top of what you use for cooking & see how you go from there.

Also, how much water are you drinking? And are you salting your food...?

oh sorry, water probably not enough. 4-6 16 oz glasses per day and yes I almost always add salt and pepper.

I have been reading on the forum and was afraid you would mention FODMAP. I'm thinking I should extend my whole 30 until I figure out what is going on before I try to reintroduce anything. I will start the FODMAP list tomorrow, how long should I do it?

If FODMAPs are  the issue and you remove them you should see improvement in a matter of days. The thing about FODMAPs is that serving size is crucial, and since what we eat has a cumulative effect on our bodies if we overload on the servings then that's when they can become problematic. Excluding them allows the gut to heal and you may find that you can tolerate small amounts each day, just not at every meal.

Bear in mind that sweet potatoes are listed as okay on the low FODMAP shopping list but many people find them problematic so I'd exclude them for now & add in starches in the form of white potato, parsnip, turnip, and carrots.

And definitely up your water intake.

It wouldn't do any harm adding in kombucha or a digestive enzyme too.

If FODMAPs are  the issue and you remove them you should see improvement in a matter of days. The thing about FODMAPs is that serving size is crucial, and since what we eat has a cumulative effect on our bodies if we overload on the servings then that's when they can become problematic. Excluding them allows the gut to heal and you may find that you can tolerate small amounts each day, just not at every meal.

Bear in mind that sweet potatoes are listed as okay on the low FODMAP shopping list but many people find them problematic so I'd exclude them for now & add in starches in the form of white potato, parsnip, turnip, and carrots.

And definitely up your water intake.

It wouldn't do any harm adding in kombucha or a digestive enzyme too.

ok, up my water, up my fat per meal. Starting FODMAP tomorrow and hoping to feel better soon. How much Kombucha should I drink per day?

Thanks for all your help. You guys are awesome!

You could do both if you really want although some people find that a digestive enzyme won't unhelp until the gut is healed, and then once it IS healed you may not feel like you need it.

You could also look at adding in a probiotic supplement - which is pretty much what Kombucha is - although fermented foods such as Kombucha have up to 100 times more probiotics than you'll get in a supplement.

Basically a digestive ensyme will help break down food in the gut into digestible nutrients. Probiotics are friendly bacteria that prevent the growth of harmful bacteria in the gut.

For now kombucha wouldn't do any harm and will certainly do some good. If you're still having problems a few weeks down the line then you might want to look at adding in a digetsive enzyme then.

Archived