Day 29...... and why everyone should do Whole 30...

ElizabethA

Today is day 29. I have not felt this great in years. After I hit 50, I feel like my body took a downhill dive...never to recover. I tried absolutely everything. I was always bloated, tired, gaining weight and never losing it. The only think I was losing was the battle against everything. I basically gave up. Someone told me about Whole 30, but I laughed and said, ha, no wine? Not for me! I am a social drinker, with a very happy social life. I gave it a shot, what did I have to lose? I knew the first weekend would roll around and I would have "just one" ... I read the book, started the plan and never looked back. I hit a few rough spots, but pushed through. I was as compliant as I could be and cooked all day Sunday to make sure I had 3 meals a day. FULL DISCLOUSRE - I did not break up with my scale, I just couldn't. But the numbers added to the encouragement I needed (sorry Melissa).  Day 12 I thought about what I would indulge in on day 30. That thought has not crossed my mind since about day 20. The truth is, I don't miss any of the things I thought I could never give up! Will I drink wine? Yes, but I have learned so much about sugar that it will have to be a very special occasion, and there will be limits (don't get me wrong, I was only a weekend warrior when it came to wine). So here is what I think:  Whole 30 is a lifestyle that everyone should try at least once. If I can do it, anyone can. So simple to maintain, and makes so much sense. Gone is the cheese (how I love cheese), the half and half, gone are the "snacks" and the huge bowls of Sunday pasta. I have a zoodler now, its the best thing every invented (damn the person that invented spandex and lycra) yay for the zoodler!  At 55 years old, you can still teach an old dog new tricks. I even indulged on mothers day by eating more than my normal portions, but never steering off the list of what is allowed. I found that if you are out with a group of people, and don't want to get into why you are not drinking, order the wine (or drink of choice) and just ignore it. Move it around, let people think you are drinking and it and then do a "quick swap" with your spouse or best friend, others will never notice.

So what will I indulge in on day 30? What is it I am dying to have? That I miss soooo much? The answer is nothing. Nothing tastes as good as I feel. That for me, is reason enough to be thankful for Whole 30, and happy with my new lifestyle.

BTW - I lost the 8 lbs, I have been battling for about 10 years. Need I say more?

Glad you had such a good experience! I too was skeptical when I heard no drinking, but once I started everything came so easily for me. I surprisingly was able to break up with my scale. I told myself I would weigh-in half way through, but then decided I didn't want to be discouraged if I hadn't lost any weight. 

Good work! 

Archived