Ghee

kruddock

• 3 weeks later...

For me it's a toss up. It's about the same for me to buy kerrygold as it is ghee.

However, you can use any butter to make ghee. I often buy the cheapest store brand of unsalted butter. WAY cheaper than buying ghee and it's fun to make.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depends what kind of butter you're buying. You lose about half of the butter when you make ghee. At my Sprouts, organic butter costs $7 for a pound, and organic grass-fed ghee costs $7 for 8 oz. So it works out the same. If you buy cheap butter, that would work out less expensive to make your own, but that's also not such a healthy fat. You'd probably be better off with coconut oil, avocado oil, etc..... 

Depends what kind of butter you're buying. You lose about half of the butter when you make ghee. At my Sprouts, organic butter costs $7 for a pound, and organic grass-fed ghee costs $7 for 8 oz. So it works out the same. If you buy cheap butter, that would work out less expensive to make your own, but that's also not such a healthy fat. You'd probably be better off with coconut oil, avocado oil, etc..... 

Wowza. I can get 8oz of organic grassfed butter here for around $2 - less before #Brexit  :rolleyes: 

Sometimes you don;t know you're living!

This weekend I made some using salted butter and OOOHHHHH EEMMMMM GGEEEEEE the resulting clarified butter is soooo salty. And you're talking to a guy who likes his salt! Dang.

Don't you mean OOOOOHHH EEMMMMM GGHEEE? Missed pun opportunities make me sad lol

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I would definitely recommend buying Kerrygold butter or another grass-fed brand of butter rather than the cheapest stuff you can find.  It's not going to be of quality and that's kind of half the point of doing this... at least to me (and of course it's recommended).  It's a toss up for me on price as I just started 9/1~ however, I bought a block of Kerrygold butter to make own and probably ended up with a little more than half a cup (and it's already almost gone).   Kerrygold is $3 where I'm from, but I also saw a nice sized tub of clarified butter for $7... at first I thought that was outrageous and scoffed at the price but next time I go I might just cough up the $7 for the tub as it's a substantially larger amount and I'd end up spending more on Kerrygold than I would buying it premade.  Weigh your options and go with the cheapest, yet best sourced option.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2016 at 3:56 PM, KimR said:

Is ghee one of those things that I could make at home, but am better off just buying?  Is making it myself a huge money saver?

After doing some research on ghee and having made my own, I'd rather make my own.  It's just easier to know that the ingredients are controlled by me and not someone else. I used this recipe because I wanted full color photos of what I was doing.  I just made a batch last night.  It's quite invigorating and self-gratifying in that the taste, color and how I choose to jar it are just so delish and radiate a certain beauty.  Here's the recipe I chose to use.  Note: when I cleaned out all my non Whole30 food stuffs, I had quite a bit of salted Kerrygold left.  So, I bought some blocks of unsalted and mixed it one to one.  It didn't taste overly salty to me.  I've still a number of blocks of salted Kerrygold and I may just try a batch of purely unsalted just for a taste comparison.  But right now, I'm happy that I make cows happy. LOL

Making Ghee

• 2 months later...

I live in Sarnia Ontario. Ordered a ghee made by Lee. Check out Lee's Ghee. She was on Dragons den, not sure how long ago, but you can look it up. She learned to make it when she was in India. It tastes sooooooo much better than some other brand I used while waiting on the Ghee I ordered from her website.  Many stores carry it in larger centres ie. Toronto. 

I too was going to make my own, but after watching the clip from Dragon's Den, and how tasty they all said it was, I decided to order it.  

You will not be disappointed!

came within 5-6 days.  Let me know what you think is f you try it. Stay strong everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 1:21 PM, Robertaworley said:

After doing some research on ghee and having made my own, I'd rather make my own.  It's just easier to know that the ingredients are controlled by me and not someone else. I used this recipe because I wanted full color photos of what I was doing.  I just made a batch last night.  It's quite invigorating and self-gratifying in that the taste, color and how I choose to jar it are just so delish and radiate a certain beauty.  Here's the recipe I chose to use.  Note: when I cleaned out all my non Whole30 food stuffs, I had quite a bit of salted Kerrygold left.  So, I bought some blocks of unsalted and mixed it one to one.  It didn't taste overly salty to me.  I've still a number of blocks of salted Kerrygold and I may just try a batch of purely unsalted just for a taste comparison.  But right now, I'm happy that I make cows happy. LOL

Making Ghee

This website is amazing, and so funny!

I didn't realize that my entire adult life I've been making ghee, then pouring the ghee and those browned milk solids right on top of my giant bowl of popcorn to enjoy during a night of Netflix binging. Next time I'll strain and toss the solids (though they are really delicious when not doing a w30!) and keep the ghee. I had no idea it was so easy.

Archived