Whole30 Day 3 - ALL I WANT IS A SWEET DRINK!

LianeMJ

It's day 3 for me and my cravings have not gone away for Sweet N Low. Or something sweet to drink besides water. In my office I smell these delicious coffees other people are drinking (WITH CREAM & SWEETENER) and I've tried to do plain coffee or tea but its not the same. WAHHHH. HELP. When will this craving go away?! :( :( :( I thought cravings only lasted 20 minutes. Mine is going on 72 hours... *sob* Close to giving in and going for a Starbucks... How sad that its not the food I can't deal with - its the drink!

Don't give in! You can do this! You are stronger than a sweet drink. You've already invested so much time in fighting this... hang in there! Who do you want to be in charge of you? You, or the sweet drink?

Would trying cucumber water (it's better than it sounds) or even just hot lemon water help? Or can you leave your office (there must be an errand to be done?) for a bit?

Hang in there!

Can't leave til 5:30. Cucumber water I don't think will do it. I was thinking of mushing up some strawberries in club soda when I get home. Would that be terrible? *sigh* I just don't know if I can do without my drinks for 30 days. Not to mention I feel like crap in the morning without my coffee (I only have 1 cup a day) and I can't drink it black - I really tried. It's unbearable.

Sparkling water has been an absolute God-send to me on this Whole30 (I'm on day 24)- I would be lost without it. I used to have 2-3 cups of coffee a day with almond milk and a can of coke zero. I now have one cup of black coffee in the morning, and a sparkling water in place of my Coke Zero at lunch. That gets me through the work day. I go out and buy the water every day at lunch, which is what I used to do to procure my Coke Zero - keeping up the act helped make it easier for me. May not be the right way to break a habit but if it kept me from that evil can, I was happy.

My other bad habit was a snack as soon as I walked in the door after work. Now, instead I have another sparkling water but with a splash of juice (a small splash of 100% juice with no added sugar of any form). This has been another lifesaver!

It does get easier, but I'm not gonna lie to you - if you're on day 3, it will get harder first! I spent most of days 7-15 dreaming about sugary drinks and food.

I'm on third day too, LianeMJ - and I am having serious sugar cravings right now too....all the office smells are getting to me too. BUT, it really isn't worth it, and since I read your post and know someone is thinking the same thing as me, I know I'm not alone in this, and neither are you:) Have a good rest of your Whole30 day!

Can't leave til 5:30. Cucumber water I don't think will do it. I was thinking of mushing up some strawberries in club soda when I get home. Would that be terrible? *sigh* I just don't know if I can do without my drinks for 30 days. Not to mention I feel like crap in the morning without my coffee (I only have 1 cup a day) and I can't drink it black - I really tried. It's unbearable.

You seem to be making excuses. You can use coconut milk or cream for your coffee. No need to try to drink it black. Yes, smushing up strawberries in a drink to feed a crave is not good. It gets so much better. :)

Have you tried coconut milk in your coffee (the canned kind)? I actually really like it... I never did put sugar in my coffee, but the coconut milk has a sweetness to it. You CAN do this! I'm on day 3 too.... It will get easier. Hang in there!

It does got a LOT better. If you feed the craving it wils never got away. Think of sugar as heroin. If you had a friend coming off of heroin and they begged for "just one codine pil" would you say okay? I'm dead serious. Sugar hits the same pathways as heroin or cigarettes. If you drink strawberries in seltzer the craving can actually get a LOT worse.

I was an 18% cream and sweetener in 3-4 coffees a day. It took some time (3-4 days) but I got used to it. I did not have coconut milk in my coffee. I did find the Starbucks cafe Americano black was drinkable and when my W30 ended 10 days ago, I continued drinking it black. I had two black cafe Americano coffees today and it is day 40 for me.

I wrote a Black Coffee post a while ago on the subject. Like others say, it gets better and your tastes may change. I suggest you choke down a coffee in the AM because caffeine withdrawal is a tough barrier.

Cheers

DJ

I Here you Liane. We've all been to this place. I remember going grocery shopping once and wanting to guzzle an entire 2.5 litre jug of orange juice. I just wanted some sweet liquid really bad.

Here's how I got through the first few days - I went off coffee for a few days. I drank Rooibos tea (which is sweet). I drank this until I really wanted my coffee. I mean I didn't care that it was black anymore. I had to have it. (It was day 5 or 6) And you know what? It wasn't so bad. I was a cream and sugar girl before and would completely turn up my nose at coffee without sugar. The reason I could tollerate the black coffee is because my taste buds had already started to change.

Another thing that got me through was giving myself a "special" drink at dinner time. This was Kombucha. Now not everyone likes it. It's got a zingy, tangy taste. But it takes me through those pop cravings I used to have. (Was not a huge pop drinker but would have one every couple of days)

Be patient with yourself. Try to distract yourself as much as possible. And believe me I lived through a 72 hour sugar craving of my own later on. And during this period, everytime I opened the fridge door at home I had to face off with leftover birthday cake. So I know what's going on isn't pretty. Just dig deep and move on. You CAN do this!

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted a sweet drink depserately today, (7th day) -the craving lasted all day, and I just couldn't think of anything else. So I dumped a can of coconut milk into the blender with a cup of frozen blueberries and drank about half of the resulting "milkshake". It tasted so awesome. While the ingredients are both fine, and the result wasn't carby, somehow combining them in that way tasted so decadent it felt like cheating. Was it?

Archived