ALL Tessemae or Just Some?

doctrmidnite

Eh. If I'm at home, I would much rather just stick to the rules instead of substituting "maybe-kinda-sorta-okay" products just because they're affiliated with the Whole 30 owners. *shrug*.

I have read through the actual article before commenting (that's a weird assumption for you to make that I didn't) - and I have also read other articles that still indicate that sunflower oil, even high-oleic, is still less than preferable. 

• Administrators

Feel free to keep your off-base snark to yourself.

The original allowance of high oleic sunflower oil was written in January 2015.  The change to Tessemae's was in January 2016.  The Hartwigs did not change their stance to allow a certain vendor to remain Whole30 compliant. That vendor chose to source an oil that was already Whole30 compliant in order to remain approved.

Edited to add: Tessemae's is actually just a Whole30 Approved company, not an affiliate. Meaning Whole30/Hartwigs do not profit off of their association.

I apologize if I came off as snarky (I'm on the "feeling all the rage" part of the 30) but I am surprised about the distinction, since I have been told before (and read in the Whole30 book, which I purchased and love) that sunflower oil is off-limits.  I still would personally not buy Tessamae's, but it's nice to know that high-oleic sunflower oil is okay.

• Administrators

I apologize if I came off as snarky (I'm on the "feeling all the rage" part of the 30) but I am surprised about the distinction, since I have been told before (and read in the Whole30 book, which I purchased and love) that sunflower oil is off-limits.  I still would personally not buy Tessamae's, but it's nice to know that high-oleic sunflower oil is okay.

And I, in turn, apologize for biting your head off.  Melissa Hartwig is one of the most upstanding, transparent, ethical and moral businesswomen that I have ever come across and it really rubs my rhubarb the wrong way to hear comments disparaging her character. She has passed up MANY opportunities to associate and profit from vendors that do not line up withe the Whole30 values (larabar, for instance). She doesn't change her rules for anyone. She's even disassociated herself with Whole30 approved partners when she has re-evaluated and determined that their product is not in line with the spirit of Whole30 (Pure Coconut Wraps).

As with anything, it's your choice to use or not use.  The high oleic sunflower oil is harder to find but if you do, it has the same fatty acid profile as olive oil. It's fine.  But it has to be high oleic.

That is great to know, thank you! It's so hard to find people on the Internet these days who are really that transparent with their brands! I don't like sunflower oil enough to seek out, but if I'm at a restaurant and that's what they're cooking with, I won't freak out. 

Edited to clarify: I definitely never meant to imply that the Hartwigs did something below the table or somehow acted unethically! Yikes - I can see why that would cause upset. 

• 5 months later...
On 5/14/2016 at 11:35 AM, doctrmidnite said:

Currently prepping for my Whole30 starting June 1!  The fact that Tessemae dressings and sauces are compliant are throughout the entire book and I just ordered a six pack which arrived yesterday.  I got Hot Buffalo, Matty's BBQ, Ranch, Southwest Ranch, Caeser and Ketchup.

In looking over the bottles something odd caught my eye.  All of the bottles have a "Whole30 Approved" logo on the label EXCEPT the Southwest Ranch and the Hot Buffalo.  There are 0g sugar in each and both appear on the approved products page on their site. 

Should I have any reason to believe these two are not compliant?

These flavors are all compliant! No soy, sugar, dairy, gluten, etc in the ingredients

For anyone who is a big Tessemae's fan (or plans to be) it's worth reviewing the non-compliant range, so you know which ones to avoid, some have things like soy and honey.

Quite a few people accidentally buy other kinds by mistake, thinking it's something new.

• 1 year later...

Archived